V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the auxiliary brake light/turn signal conversion kit (68216-00) on their bike? I'm interested in doing so on my Deuce.

Says easy installation, just plug into wiring harness. But last time I fell for that one, I had to remove the rear wheel to get to the harness.

Probably wouldn't bother, but after 35 years of riding, I got rear-ended (just bumped) less than a week after I got my new bike. Want to do everything I can to prevent it from happening again!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Big Al,

I'd like to know how easy it was to install and if it makes a noticeable improvement.

I was talking to a guy just a few weeks ago that got slammed from the back. I believe he said his leg was broke in 4 places, broke his hip, as well as some other important stuff. The guy that hit him was doing (est.) 40 mph and never slowed. The brother never knew what happened until he woke up in the hospital. Guess there are hundreds of these stories out there.

I think you have the right idea with the conversion kit. But hey, even if it is difficult to install, two hours of aggrivation is better than two months of pain!

Glad you are okay.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Not sure where the connector is on a late softail, but on most bikes it is right under the seat near where the tail light harness goes thru the fender. Info should be in the FM for the specific bike.

Kuryakyn has a module that not only gives you the extra stop lites but also converts the turn signals into running lites. Plugs in just like the two way HD module. You just have to get two red lenses, but they are only like 5 bucks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Big Al said:
Probably wouldn't bother, but after 35 years of riding, I got rear-ended (just bumped) less than a week after I got my new bike. Want to do everything I can to prevent it from happening again! [/i]
Off the topic, but I put Back-Off on every bike I own. (not affiliated in any way) it automatically flashes the brake light (1 long 3 short) as long as either the front or rear brake is applied. Right after I installed the first one, I was sitting at a light facing the Texas setting sun in the summer (bright) and I heard a chirp of tires! A car stopped in the lane next to me and rolled down his window - he said if I hadn't of been flashing the brake light he would not have seen me! Made me a believer !

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Hello Big Al,

I have a 2001 Deuce and I've installed the kit your thinking about. The module is under the seat on the right side. Believe it or not, it really just plugs in!! Just be carefully to tuck the moudule down and use the strap to secure the moudule low enough so the seat won't rub against it. Also, the kit comes with extensions that I didn't use. From my understanding, in California, the brake lights need to be at least 4inches from the tail light, this is what I understand the extensions are for. I didn't install the extensions. But according to the instructions, you don't need to remove the rear tire. If you elect not to install the extensions, then this is a simple item to add to your bike. The lens pop-off with a screw driver. Also at the HD shop, they just starting carrying a new tail light bulb that flashes multiple times quickly when either the front or rear break is applied, then goes solid and is a quartz lamp that is extremely bright, this really helps to get the attention of anyone behind you. Sells for $50.00. I think its worth it. The bulb actually has a computer chip built on part of the lamp housing. If the bulb burns out, it costs about $20.00 for replacement bulb.

Hopefully this added lamp will keep me from getting rear ended.

Good Luck (not really needed in this installation)!

Kim

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the input Kim,

You answered all my questions and confirmed a few more. I thought the extensions had to be for legal reasons, cuz it makes no other sense. I will therefore forego putting them on. I like them where they are. I've been looking in J C Whitney at their LED tail light which plugs into standard read bulb. It appears to constantly rotate, and bright brake light. I'm going to order one and compare the amperage draw before I swap it out.

By the way, hope you're enjoying the weather. I'm originally from Stockton. Have sister living in Fremont and Livermore, and friends in Dublin. Stop by every time I can!

Cheers

·
Registered
40 Posts
i put the brake light kit on my bike also ...easy as pie ...remove the seat ...plug it in ...put the seat on ...youre done.

B

·
0 Posts
Hey Big Al, please post your review of the rotating LED tail light when you get a chance. Just ordered one myself ...

I figure if it works it will be a nice addition to the Kuryakyn Hot Flash I put on - similar to the H-D kit, it just plugs in under the seat and converts the rear turn signals to turn and brake lights, plus it does RUNNING lights too... Cheaper than the HD kit too, even though you have to buy the red lenses from the dealer ($5).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I did it on my "02 Road Knig and love it! Simple instalation and major improvment on braking visibility. Since I lead a lot of group rides many have exspressed they like the siganling it gives to the group.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Installed it on my 2000 Road King - been told by others that it really lights up the back of the scooter, esp at night - installation is simple - oh, installed the HD unit..
Joe

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
easy... under the seat, like they said. ;)

btw, I'm just finishing up an atomic-bright LED conversion on a V-ROD taillight (same as a Deuce) that's so bright, people from last week will know you're stopping... check out the thread in the VRSC forum for pics tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts