V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Has anyone here had experience with an automatic primary adjuster (shoe)? I used one once on my Sporty and it worked great but when I did some engine work the dealer told me that they weren't good for high HP engines. They said something about the force of the chain was too much for the spring or soemthing like that. Whatever, it seemed to make sense seven years ago but now I'm not so sure. The adjuster sure made the trans shift nicer and the adjustment was one less thing I had to do for maintenance. Now HD has one for the BT's and I want to put one on my RK. I'm thinking it should be fine but...anyone have problems with one before? Any truth to there being a HP limit for using the adjuster?

BTW, I put this in the performance forum because in my view the shifting, and therefore acceleration performance, is improved with the adjuster.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I have the Haydn M6 with a 95" motor, accompanied by Stage 1 and 2, on my '01 Road King. Never have had an issue. The chain is only gliding over the shoe on a coat of oil.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
M6 works great for me. 95", SE heads, Woods TW5-G cams. I'm probably pushing 90+ HP and torque. Got over 10k miles on the M6 and no problems.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the HD tensioner. Too many people including a guy I know personally are having problems. The thing ratchets itself too tight and doesn't back off. Can cause premature bearing, seal and shoe failure. That product is way more complicated than it should be. With the Hayden using a double spring you can't go wrong. Nor can you get any simpler. I think it's a great product.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Timbo, thanks for saving me from making that mistake. I might even put another M6 on my Sportster again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts