V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The State Patrol has tired of reading swingarm-mount plates, especially curved vertical-mounts, so effective August 1, Minn. Stat. 169.79, Subd. 7 will be modified as follows.

I'm no lawyer, but I can bet the cops will be lined up outside Renegades, Fatboys, etc. with a ticket book. (Also not sure how this would apply to non-MN bikes headed through MN for Sturgis travel). Word in the sportbike groups is that they are already seeing enforcement of this law near the U of M Campus.

ABATE Minnesota, any action on this????

Subd. 7. Plate fastened and visible. All plates must be (1) securely fastened so as
25.21to prevent them from swinging, (2) displayed horizontally with the identifying numbers
25.22and letters facing outward from the vehicle, and (3) mounted in the upright position.
The
25.23person driving the motor vehicle shall keep the plate legible and unobstructed and free
25.24from grease, dust, or other blurring material so that the lettering is plainly visible at all
25.25times. It is unlawful to cover any assigned letters and numbers or the name of the state
25.26of origin of a license plate with any material whatever, including any clear or colorless
25.27material that affects the plate's visibility or reflectivity.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just an update but he rule has again been changed in Minnesota

Subd. 3.Rear display of single plate.

If the vehicle is a motorcycle, motor scooter, motorized bicycle, motorcycle sidecar, trailer registered at greater than 3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW), semitrailer, or vehicle displaying a dealer plate, then one license plate must be displayed horizontally or vertically, for a motorcycle issued vertical license plates under section 168.12, subdivision 2a, with the identifying numbers and letters facing outward from the vehicle and must be mounted on the rear of the vehicle.

If I am understanding correctly it will cost a one time fee of $100 to get the vertical plate can only be personalized and 4 characters, but it's better than nothing I guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts