V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 EG ultra classic
56000 miles
Did left side maintenance (stator, clutch, seals) last month.

Pulled the cam chest cover to find the chain tensioner had failed. No biggie, I’ll just change out the tensioners, and clean everything up…

well, take a look at those cams…. Looks like it may have been run low on oil, because those cams were toast…

so, since I had it torn down, here’s all I did…

Fueling oem+ cam plate and oil pump
New inner cam needle bearings
New chains
New sprockets
Fueling 525 cams
Hydraulic chain tensioners
S&S adjustable pushrods
New tappets
New tappet blocks (chrome was crusty)
New clutch release cover (chrome was crusty)
Arlen ness big sucker intake
Dynojet power commander V
New chrome bolts for tappets and cam chest cover
Gaskets all around
New tires

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive design
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Purple Gas Electric blue Art Auto part
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive wheel system Rim
Bicycle part Camera accessory Gear Cameras & optics Gas

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
You may have more problems that that.
Any pics of the old tensioners?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may have more problems that that.
Any pics of the old tensioners?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
They were still intact, but just barely. Had worn down but not yet into the metal tensioner part.

There wasn’t any shrapnel in the cam chest.

I blew out passages to the filter and didn’t find anything in there either.

The one thing I didn’t do was drop the oil pan.
I did change fluids, and found no metal on the magnets.

·
Premium Member
00 Road King, 00 Ultra, 98 Fatboy, 08 Goldwing
556 Posts
2001 EG ultra classic
56000 miles
Did left side maintenance (stator, clutch, seals) last month.

Pulled the cam chest cover to find the chain tensioner had failed. No biggie, I’ll just change out the tensioners, and clean everything up…

well, take a look at those cams…. Looks like it may have been run low on oil, because those cams were toast…

so, since I had it torn down, here’s all I did…

Fueling oem+ cam plate and oil pump
New inner cam needle bearings
New chains
New sprockets
Fueling 525 cams
Hydraulic chain tensioners
S&S adjustable pushrods
New tappets
New tappet blocks (chrome was crusty)
New clutch release cover (chrome was crusty)
Arlen ness big sucker intake
Dynojet power commander V
New chrome bolts for tappets and cam chest cover
Gaskets all around
New tires

View attachment 270983 View attachment 270984 View attachment 270985 View attachment 270986 View attachment 270987 View attachment 270988
A couple of my friends had 01 twin cams. The cams had wear that looked exactly like yours. They never were run low on oil. I think harley had some issues with those cams.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple of my friends had 01 twin cams. The cams had wear that looked exactly like yours. They never were run low on oil. I think harley had some issues with those cams.
thats possible, this bike had 56,000 miles on it, only 2800 are my miles so I’m not sure how it was run previously…

BUT I do know the left side and right side is solid. Just hope the top end will last at least a year. My wallet can’t take much more this year. LOL.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Did you put the new style stamped breathers in, or just put the old multi-piece Al. ones back in? The older ones could be rebuilt at one time. I think you can still get the parts to do it. 20 year old umbrellas and filters probably don't work so well anymore.

Those tappet blocks are just covers. Lifters ride in the engine case. Since the cams were pretty shot, how did the rollers on the old tappets look?

How was it adjusting the new pushrods? The stock tubes are pretty long for doing adjustables. I would add a set of the shorter S.E tubes (or some other flavor) to my xmas list for any future ease of adjustment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you put the new style stamped breathers in, or just put the old multi-piece Al. ones back in? The older ones could be rebuilt at one time. I think you can still get the parts to do it. 20 year old umbrellas and filters probably don't work so well anymore.

Those tappet blocks are just covers. Lifters ride in the engine case. Since the cams were pretty shot, how did the rollers on the old tappets look?

How was it adjusting the new pushrods? The stock tubes are pretty long for doing adjustables. I would add a set of the shorter S.E tubes (or some other flavor) to my xmas list for any future ease of adjustment.
in the rocker box, i pulled the breathers apart, replaced the umbrellas, gaskets, and put in new sponges, as well as replaced the o-rings under the rocker plate.

The old tappets looked ok except the ones riding on the damaged lobes there was some scoring on the roller, but still rolled ok. (I still replaced them)

The screaming Eagle adjustable pushrods had the adjuster near the bottom of the rod, so I could use the stock tubes, that worked with no trouble, but they were a real pain to get the clip back in at the top.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
In the last picture we can see the inner tensioner, looks to be mostly there, I have seen them nearly completely gone, this doesn't seem to bad. I also used SE pushrods with stock covers,, no problems just need more patience, Unless you got the PCV tuner cheap,, I think I would have went with a carb, parts won't get easier to find in the future, some are tough now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a pretty good deal on it, and if the MM ignition bites the dust I’ll move over to a carb. But for now, the tune is working, and the bike is a blast to ride.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Hell if you were gonna pull the tank and rocker covers you didn't need to buy adjustable pushrods. Could a saved a few bucks there.

Sent from my water damaged bag phone

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Nice job! Been awhile since I was in my '02 doing similar work at about 30K miles. My tensioners were bad but not crumbling yet. From what I remember the inner was worse. I went with the SE hyd tensioner kit which included new cam plate and HO oil pump. I sent heads & jugs to Bigboyz and they ported / bored for 95" and set it up for 9.8:1 cr. Installed Andrews 37 cams/torrington brgs and new lifters, decided to go with adjustable pushrods (can't remember who's but they never gave me any problems). I also did new umbrellas. Slapped it together and used a PC II, downloaded a break-in map and eventually got a good tune. Fun project for 'just a guy'...ran like a top.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
You replaced everything, what is the issue now? The stock cams are gone and I could write a lot about the frosted lobes but you have covered all the bases with new parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You replaced everything, what is the issue now? The stock cams are gone and I could write a lot about the frosted lobes but you have covered all the bases with new parts.
Nothing is wrong, runs like a top. Put 300ish miles on it already.

The “attempt” was trying to replace the stock spring tensioners and finding more had yo be done.

runs like a top now!

·
Registered
2005 117” FLHTCUI, -2021 107” FLHC
152 Posts
I got a pretty good deal on it, and if the MM ignition bites the dust I’ll move over to a carb. But for now, the tune is working, and the bike is a blast to ride.
I might be mistaken ,but I believe 02 was the first year of Delphi…….?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts