V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
47,503 and adding
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is the stock muffler a detriment to a build? Let's assume that none of us pick our mufflers or exhaust for the chrome quality, sound or price. Now, let's assume we are riding a dresser that has a mild build. At what hp/tq level does the muffler affect the final numbers. We change the air cleaner, cams, jugs, carb and all the other things we like to upgrade. I'm hoping to gain knowledge and make some informed decisions.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
2001FLHT said:
When is the stock muffler a detriment to a build? Let's assume that none of us pick our mufflers or exhaust for the chrome quality, sound or price. Now, let's assume we are riding a dresser that has a mild build. At what hp/tq level does the muffler affect the final numbers. We change the air cleaner, cams, jugs, carb and all the other things we like to upgrade. I'm hoping to gain knowledge and make some informed decisions.
As soon as they install it at the factory.
Really.
There is nothing more to say, but that never stopped any of us before.:corn:

·
47,503 and adding
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I thought that I would hear that, but there are exhaust systems out there that rob power as well. I thought that maybe some might be worse than stock.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
MegaGlide said:
As soon as they install it at the factory.
Really.
There is nothing more to say, but that never stopped any of us before.:corn:
@gree: @gree: @gree: @gree: @gree: @gree: @gree:

You beat me to it!!!!

·
Living for the ride
1,351 Posts
2001 FLHT:
Like the Thai women say "It up to you". I am not near as knowledgeable as some on this forum but consider what YOU want. Is that not why we ride these HD's? As you can see from the pic of my bike I picked the VH-BS Longs for looks and performance. Now I am doing a 95" upgrade and I am going to Super Trapp 2-1 for performance??? I will miss the look of the pipes but you give some and you take some. Good luck with your choice.

Mega:
Ole stinkeye looks like he/she is having a better time now. Good work.

·
47,503 and adding
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with you that it is 'to each his own', I was more speaking to the detriment to hp/tq specifically with the stock slip-ons. I currently have VH True Duals and Fullsac mufflers.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Chickenman said:
Mega:
Ole stinkeye looks like he/she is having a better time now. Good work.
Not my handiwork. A member who shall not be named did it at an undisclosed location. :D
Uh, Thanks 8-Ball!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts