V-Twin Forum banner

Asking For Trouble Or Not!!###$#$

5K views 70 replies 46 participants last post by  adlerx 
#1 ·
Now that my boat is gone, I broke the news to the wife over the weekend with a motorcycle jacket and helmet it’s time for a Harley or Victory. Of course the boat was like salt in an open wound the whole time I had it and looks like a bike is starting out the same way. I will most likely rent until I really decide on the model to get or at least have some sanity in my life by getting away from the home front. I would include her, but she doesn’t like the sun, heat (she was born/raised in Texas) or does she socialize anymore than with her family. Yea, you’re right, WTF did I marry her for??!!@@## I haven’t ridden in quite a few years but I am ordering the Ride Like a Pro DVD and the riding lessons from Harris here on the site. I personally feel that renting really doesn’t build up my experience level as it would be if I bought one to ride at my choice anytime. Do you think I am heading for trouble, as far as motorcycling, (I think the marital status is changing this year anyway) or just do like I said above? :yikes:

#2 ·
Dude,

You are so asking for trouble. If your wife gave you sh!t for a boat, it won't be any different with a bike. If the marital status is changing, wait. You'll end up giving her something for the bike in trade...you know the 50-50 thing. I speak not of wisdom...been there and done that.

#6 ·
If your marital situation is going to change, I would defintaly wait until the divorce was final. It would be a shame to get a bike, then lose your wife, then lose your bike as a result of the divorce process!

Also, I would take an MSF course if you are feeling rusty. There's no shame in taking the beginners course again, I know people that have ridden years that said they learned something out of it! :)

Good luck man.

#9 ·
Speaking from experience here, don't buy anything until you either are committed to staying married or have a divorce behind you. My ex was a psycho and lucky for me I played my cards right and got outta that without a scratch. I celebrated the signed, sealed and delivered departure with a new Fatboy. A few years later I meet the woman of my dreams. Now she has a Deluxe and goes wherever I do. It's great.

As a couple you have to ask yourselves what do you have in common? If it's not all that much it's not that big a deal. But what you have to remember is that the person you married is still an individual that is to be respected for the decisions they make and the things that they do that make them happy in life. If neither can no longer respect that, it's time to move on. Trust me man, life is too short to spend it worrying about whether or not your going to piss someone off because of what you do. Do what makes you happy. As long as your not causing some sort of financial hardship, then what is the big deal? If she can't understand it, than you guys have more serious issues to contend with.

Good luck. And remember don't waste your life with someone your obviously never going to be happy with just for the sake of being married. Life is wayyyy to short bro.

#10 · (Edited)
My wife said if I get a Harley, she's gettin a divorce. :roflback: After I gave her a first ride on my sporty she loved it. The new street glide gives her the giggles.:yes: You never know what will happen until you bring that new toy home. Good Luck and remember only pay MSRP!~!Awesome!

#11 ·
If you stay with her and you do get a bike, the first time you give her a ride, wait until it's cold and wet and scare the hell out of her. You won't have to worry about her wanting to ride no more!

#13 ·
These replies are funny! The marital issue is the reason why I am going to rent, plus it just makes it more turmoil around the house (obviously at 55 years old I don’t give a f_ _ _). I don’t see it happening until well into the year, but I am not waiting until I’m single again to ride. I will need something to ease the stress from it and it won’t be a girl friend. Both my younger Bros are divorcing (older one beat us to it) and are still married and have GF’s. They are nuts!! and are playing with fire. Can you see a trend when you come from divorced parents when we were teens! We are all normal but the older we get the more expensive the toys are that we want and the wives don’t get it. !drunk! :thanks: @gree:

#14 ·
My wife found out about my bike when the HD store called and said it was there. She couldn't complain though, she had gotten a new car the year earlier. (and I was still driving an 87 mazda pickup).

Basically, IMHO women often get the short end of the stick as far as big gifts go. If you want to keep her happy, why not buy her a 20k set of diamond earrings first, THEN get an HD? She probably won't complain a bit. If it's a situation of "toy for me, minivan to haul the kids for you", you shouldn't be suprised if she's a bit p.o.ed, as a marriage is supposed to be treating your spouse the way YOU want to be treated.

#17 ·
newbieHD said:
These replies are funny! The marital issue is the reason why I am going to rent, plus it just makes it more turmoil around the house (obviously at 55 years old I don’t give a f_ _ _). I don’t see it happening until well into the year, but I am not waiting until I’m single again to ride. I will need something to ease the stress from it and it won’t be a girl friend. Both my younger Bros are divorcing (older one beat us to it) and are still married and have GF’s. They are nuts!! and are playing with fire. Can you see a trend when you come from divorced parents when we were teens! We are all normal but the older we get the more expensive the toys are that we want and the wives don’t get it. !drunk! :thanks: @gree:

Lets see, blame the wife, no... blame the parents... blame the brothers... next the blame will probably fall on the divorce or lack thereof. I think this is the pattern.

No flame here, just looking at what you have written. The bike isn't going to be the solution... . What is it she wants??? give it to her.... maybe she will return the favor.

#18 · (Edited)
newbieHD said:

get the bike.....but one thing is always clear for those the "wait so long" is that you will be pissed off not getting back on road years ago..
IMHO get the HD (fogit the vic)...

at 55 you have lots of miles to ride..hey maybe you'll ride till your ninety) but we all have a "limited" number of seasons to do it!

#20 ·
NewbieHD
What is you're motivation and expected results? Control is a tool my ex used, what side of the fence are you on? If having a scoot is the goal than look at it for what it is, ride and enjoy. Others gave excellent advice concerning community property. What ever happens, you are not alone and deserve you’re happiness when it is all said and done.
V/R
Chris

#21 ·
Keeping in mind that old adage, "Love is Grand. Divorce is 50 Grand." protecting assets is always a concern. In this case, it would make more sense to go ahead and get your bike. You already gave up your boat, (something she probably wouldn't want anyway), and if you spend the cash on a bike, (something else low interest), that's just that much less cash to split.

At 55, I'd assume the kids are out of the picture by now, so child support won't drive you broke. Make sure to finance it, (leave it as a secured debt, something else she won't fight for), and only list equity as part of the settlement.

Of course the real beauty of getting the bike, (and maybe another boat for off weekends), is maybe she'll go off the deep end and file on her own. If the grounds are "he got a motorcycle", hand her the suitcase and wave a fond farewell. :chopper:

#25 ·
Cadiero said:
Wow, this thread is interesting. I just got married 3 weeks ago. I love my wife. I sure hope I never start thinking I want a bike more than her. I kinda feel bad for all the guy's here who have been divorced, and it is a little unsettling.
Fear not! Marriage is the sum of what two people are willing to put into it. There is no one to blame but the two parties. It dont rub off.

#26 ·
Cadiero said:
Wow, this thread is interesting. I just got married 3 weeks ago. I love my wife. I sure hope I never start thinking I want a bike more than her. I kinda feel bad for all the guy's here who have been divorced, and it is a little unsettling.
Over a 50% divorce rate for first timers

Over 80% second time around

7 out of 10 divorces are now initiated by the woman

9 out of 10 splits involve a 3rd party.... ( Lots of Hide the salami going on here)

33% of all Paternity tests come out FALSE.. Yeah your NOT the daddy..

Consider this:

If a man leaves his wife for another woman, he will Give up at least half of everything, will pay alimony, 98% surety of losing kids to her, will pay child support and will lose his home..

If a woman leaves her husband for another man, HE will give up at least half of everything, HE will pay alimony, 98% surety of losing kids to her, and will pay child support and will lose his home...

Something wrong here???

Celebrating my 10 year anniversary since my divorce from my ONLY wife this summer..

If Vegas had odds like this it would be a dust bowl........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.