V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TC88 -- Too Many Questions...

Hippo or others...

Could I impose on the more knowledgeable folks out there with some basic questions? I was only looking for ballpark answers here, and don't mean to pin anybody down. I just wanted to get a general idea, an average.

1) What's the average life span of a properly maintained (stock) TC88?
2) What usually fails first?
3) Can the top-end just be rebuilt (assuming it fails first)?
4) Is the bottom end pretty strong on a stock TC88?

5) What's the average life span of a properly maintained 95-incher (all other parts being stock)?

6) What is too high a temperature for H-D dinosaur oil?
7) What's the minimum temperature dinosaur oil should get too (I run an oil cooler w/o a thermostat)?

8) Is it worth it to replace the stock chain cam-drive with a gear-driven unit in the TC88's?

9) What's an average lifespan for the 5-speed tranny?

9) What's the average lifespan of a stock (drive) belt?

My whole life I've had friends that rode Harley's, and my '02 FLHTC-I is my first. All input is appreciated, very much. Just trying to learn...

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help educate a dummie.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
This would only be a general answer for most of your questions. But as long as you take good care of your scoot, it will last a very, very long time. It is just like any other motor vehicle that is bought, it all depends how well you take care of it and how often you service it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
1. I have 11,000 miles on 2002 FLHTCUI 1550 Stage 1 since May 02
2. No failures - changed inner/outer primary gasket and plugs at 10,000.
3. pass
4. So far so good.
5. I plan to convert to Stage II with SE 203 cam and 34 tooth transmission sprocket at 15,000 miles, then retune with SE EFI tuner. Obviously I don't race but I'll pass a semi at 85 MPH like you wouldn't believe.
6. I run 195-220F front head telemetry on the road with front mounted auxiliary oil cooler. On the dyno I can see temps of up to 250 - when doing rollons to 6200 no big deal. EFI temperature management does not kick in until 300 degrees at front head. 200-250 is fine. Under 200 you will get some knock like at 180F or so.
7. Depends where you measure but the thermostat should open at 200 -220. again your EFI will kick in at 300F.
8. Pass
9. depends how you ride but 20,000 -30,000 would not be uncommon but occasionally they just break for no obvious reason. With the 1550 stock 5 speed should last as long as the motor or longer

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
1) What's the average life span of a properly maintained (stock) TC88?
2) What usually fails first?
3) Can the top-end just be rebuilt (assuming it fails first)?
4) Is the bottom end pretty strong on a stock TC88?

100K+, cam drive, lifters, top end, yes, yes

5) What's the average life span of a properly maintained 95-incher (all other parts being stock)?

the same

6) What is too high a temperature for H-D dinosaur oil?
7) What's the minimum temperature dinosaur oil should get too (I run an oil cooler w/o a thermostat)?

don't know as I never use it, but you would think 260F is pushing it in the sense it oxidizes much quicker
wouldn't worry too much about it if the bike is ridden every day, but even 180F might be enough

8) Is it worth it to replace the stock chain cam-drive with a gear-driven unit in the TC88's?

No, unless you run huge cams. It is a good idea to mirror polish the backsides of the chains if you are in there for any reason.

9) What's an average lifespan for the 5-speed tranny?

9) What's the average lifespan of a stock (drive) belt?

100K+, unless you had a 2001, they had a batch of bad belts and they can break at any time

Generally the bikes are pretty good, most of the failures on the baggers are electrical and having the bike repaired at a dealer, under warranty in particular, is a exercise in frustration that closely resembles attempted robbery and rape.
Even the few dealers that do proper repairs may keep the bike for weeks to repair a 15 minute item, likely to discourage warranty repairs.
This is compounded by the fact that when it comes to these types of repair on these bikes independent shops don't have the tech info.
End result is that the only way you can really live with these bikes is if you do your own work and pay for the parts even when the bike is under warranty. It gets old after a while.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hippo, and others...

Thanks, thanks for taking the time here.

Much appreciated...

I used to be a wrench 23-yrs ago, with a smog lic, etc. But I have a bike lift, and full tools, now I just need to learn...that will take some time.

Thanks again...

Mitch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts