V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever used the asbestos blanket material you put in the fireboxes of oil fired boilers to wrap baffles. Just wondering how this would work out.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
jrehm said:
Anyone ever used the asbestos blanket material you put in the fireboxes of oil fired boilers to wrap baffles. Just wondering how this would work out.
DEADLY...for you and especially your buddy following you...if it really is asbestos...might be some type of fiberglas substitute.

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not for sure it's asbestos, and I don't think it's fiberglass, but it's fairly dense stuff.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Do you mean heat wrap on head pipes like --> <-this->?

Or do you mean fiberglass packing around a baffle?

The heat wrap does help hot exhaust gas flow better which helps performance. It has become fashionable / trendy to wrap exhaust pipes rather than getting them chromed and shielded.

The whole performance edge goes out the window if the motor is not breathing correctly. Heat wrapped pipes just to capture the cool look of wrapped pipes will not help anything much if the motor can't breathe right.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Asbestos in the exhaust..... Oh Boy..... you will have the epa chasing you around in space suits!!

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
As a heating professional, I knew where to look foor this info. The product of which you speak is called "Kaowool". It is a refractory ceramic fiber blanket. According to the MSDS, it is classified as carcinogenic because of silica dust. I wouldn't recommend using this product in a muffler application. It is designed to line oil burner combustion chambers and in that application, it is safe to use.

For a complete read on the MSDS:

http://www.emedco.com/emed2/resource/msds/msds_view.asp?pd=ba&pf=bshbj

YB

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, it was an idea. But, sooner or later we're gonna find out everything will kill us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts