V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Sorry to put in my .02, but that bike is not by far one of their best works. As far as the tank goes, it looks like they have been looking at Billy Lanes choppers to much. It almost looks like they stole the design.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Looks like an OCC to me... The forks, headlight, and bars have a Paul Jr. design.

Billy bikes have dice and spades all over it.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't commenting on the bike. Just their move into 3d solid modeling for building bikes and parts.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Well they can afford the latest 3D modeling software. It does not change the fact that they are still a bunch of arrogant, stuck up a$$holes who build bikes for the money and fame and without 10 bucks for an autograph, you can not get near them at one of their shows.

·
Banned
155 Posts
LittleBear said:
Well they can afford the latest 3D modeling software. It does not change the fact that they are still a bunch of arrogant, stuck up a$$holes who build bikes for the money and fame and without 10 bucks for an autograph, you can not get near them at one of their shows.
Well I guess when the discovery channel comes to your house and tells you "we want to design a show around you building bikes and put your name out everywhere we can, and make you more money than you can spend." You can just tell them you want to just build bikes for the fun of it.

At least they put a kick a$$ motor and transmission in it.

·
Custom Builder
1,263 Posts
LittleBear said:
It does not change the fact that they are still a bunch of arrogant, stuck up a$$holes who build bikes for the money and fame and without 10 bucks for an autograph, you can not get near them at one of their shows.
Kinda like Jesse James,huh.

I don't hate OCC,,just bored with their gig. Oh,,and Jesse,too. -2$en#e-

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I think the point Bear was making is these guys are making big bucks, but don't care to much for the fans. Same as athletes making millions and charging $10 for an autograph. The bad thing is $10 doesn't mean crap to them. It would be differant if they wetre struggling.

But this is America, can charge what anybody will give ya.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
These guys may be arrogant assholes, but I gotta give it to Paul Jr. I think the guy is a genius. Not every bike is a home run, but he has had some real pieces of art.

They are just hitting their stride with the modeling software... hit it a little too hard at first, but next year we should see some interesting stuff from Pauly.

I bet not one of you would turn down the big bucks given the chance... and who knows how that kind of money can work you over. I'd like to do a little research however.

·
Registered
159 Posts
OCC WHO?

Take care,
Baldman

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I use to ride a buddy's '66 650 Triumph chopper. I hated the way it rode with the front end sticking up in the air, and a turning radius of a parking lot. Now, these days the bikes are even longer. I haven't the chance to ride any of the long front end bikes, but looks like they could be a handful in the twisties, or just on normal city streets. Anyone ride one of these long bikes lately? Opinion?

Thorns

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I just don't like choppers. I want a bike you can live on.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I must admit to having a soft spot for old school choppers. I think Indian Larry made some of the coolest bikes around and he built his bikes to ride.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont much like their stuff and nearly never see the show. One of my friends who gets to the big bike shows and see's their stuff, and that of many of the other name builders, has often commented on the lack of quality in the workmanship. Whether or not the OCC outfit should still be making fences is anyones opinion but if they actually use the capabilities the 3-D modeler gives them they should be capable of build a much better bike. It can still be ugly as hell but the sh!t ought to fit and be reasonably solid.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
What I've often wondered about is just how many shortcuts are taken when they are 'under the gun', or could that just be something to make the show more dramatic? I know things go wrong, and there are those that come along last minute and want it now, but it would seem to me that if they were going to build a bike for a particular event they'd start on it earlier. Seems they are ALWAYS behind schedule.

Something else that always bothered me is watching them beat hell out of something to make it work or fit. Doesn't happen often, but when it does I have to wonder how much stuff gets half-assed on a bike they'd build for me or you.

It's good to see them using SolidWorks and 'rethinking' the designs. SolidWorks is an absolutely amazing product. I do computer work for a company that sells and provides training for it and the things you can do with it are nothing short of phenomenal. Should be a good for them and I hope to see them apply it to the bikes they build for the average joe since most of their 'routine' stuff all looks the same.

As to the money, as long as there are people that will pay $10 for an autograph they'll keep charging it. From what I've seen in their retail store, there certainly isn't a lack of people willing to part with some serious cash for their overpriced goods.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
These guys went from relatively unknowns to a household name in less than three years. They are endorsing dozens and dozens of products while at the same time running their business.

The problem is that they still only have 24 hours in their day. But now, every waked minute of their time is in demand. They have had to give up a large amount of their privacy and are under the microscope with everything they do.

If charging $10 a pop for their signatures gives them more control at events and a bit more free time, I can't blame them in the least. It's their life.

I have seen several interviews and they come accross as OK guys in my opinion. They seem down to earth and unpretensious, expecially in light of their new-found fame and fortune. Pauly Jr., in particular, seems to have it together.

I wish them the best and certainly think it is great that a bike builder can make it big in this world!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Entertainment!

The drift I got from watching OCC the first time (and I guess any time since) is that the purpose of the show is to "ENTERTAIN", hence the obligatory verbal battle between Pauls Jr and Sr, and the race to whatever 'deadline' the show purports, or the childlike antics of Mikey. Their bikes are interesting at times, beautiful at times, but nothing I'd want to own unless I had $30-$60 extra K's kicking around for a cafe/bar hopper. I have worked in a high tech industry for 33 years now, with fellow skilled craftsmen, and some of the shop habits of the guys working at OCC make me shudder. We would be suspended for a second offence of the same things I see happen regularly when I stumble across the show. Unless I missed something, I've never seen they're resident 'engineer' approve the street-worthiness or structural integrity of any of their rides. Ditto on whether I would really want them to make me a bike.........but then how else could I impress my buddies/the ladies that "Yeah, it was built at OCC!" :clap:

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
LittleBear said:

My sentiments exactly.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I dont know I used to be into OCC but somewhere along the line they lost me. I think early on you could appreciate that they were regular guys that had struggled. Now they seem to have forgotten where they came from and are a bit overwhelmed by the bucks. I dont even bother to turn it on.
I also was a bit pissed back along when I ordered a T shirt form them and it was so thin I think if I washed it twice it would have fallen apart. They are just a business like everyone else now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts