V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The writer accompanied the Hamsters from Arlen's place to Sturgis. Arlen doesn't like HD as a company anymore,nor the dealships. Says they have an attitude of "we're doing you a favor by being here". Sounds familiar. He does like Victory. The shocker: he bought a Suzuki Hayabusa! We're all doomed.:laugh:

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Mile Hi said:
The writer accompanied the Hamsters from Arlen's place to Sturgis. Arlen doesn't like HD as a company anymore,nor the dealships. Says they have an attitude of "we're doing you a favor by being here". Sounds familiar. He does like Victory. The shocker: he bought a Suzuki Hayabusa! We're all doomed.:laugh:

Arlen displays a large lack of gratitude. He makes a great living by copying HD parts and modifying HD's for 40 years and then says they are doing us a favor. Well they did do him a favor. They gave him a starting point for his crazy customs. He's still doing it, too.

I do like his bikes, though.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
newultraclassic said:
Arlen displays a large lack of gratitude. He makes a great living by copying HD parts and modifying HD's for 40 years and then says they are doing us a favor. Well they did do him a favor. They gave him a starting point for his crazy customs. He's still doing it, too.

true dat NUC...-2$en#e-

·
Registered
772 Posts
As much as I hate to say this. "Look what happened to the *** car companies when the American's acted stubborn back in the 70's and 80's?" This the same will happen to HD if they continue with this attitude? I sort of do.

On the good side, at least we HD owners have access to the aftermarket world?

Obviously Mr Ness is trying to get Victory out of the basement. Come on, their sales has got to be hurting. Sorry but the new fenders on a Victory look like ca-ca-doo dee-poo-poo and really don't appeal to me, although the overall product quality seems to be outstanding. I would have a hard time riding a motorcycle that didn't appeal to me. :gun:

·
Registered
901 Posts
His opinion about HD may or may not be right depending on your own viewpoint and experience.

But keep in mind, he and his son have a marketing deal with Victory now - so when he makes anti-HD and pro-Victory comments you need to consider the source.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't know if I have ever seen an uglier bike than the new Arlen Ness inspired Victory tourer. If it looks 1000 times better in person than it does on the page, it will still be the ugliest bike ever made. Personally, I think Ness's bikes are FUGLY. I also agree that he will badmouth HD every chance he gets now that he has a contract with Victory. I could care less what he says.:thumbsdn:

·
Registered
432 Posts
This sounds a lot like the older brother picking on the younger brother all the time, then when someone else tries to pick on him the brother beat the $hit out of the guy and protects his little bro. I read in here all the time about what crap the moco is, and how it treats people. Now Arlen says it and you guys ponnce on him. Arlen has been in this business for 40 some years if anybody has earned the right to Biatch about the moco it is him. Maybe it was the treatment by the moco that turned him to Victory in the first place. I like Arlen's style, maybe not the new tourer, but his other baggers are great. Even before baggers became in. I have been to his shop many times and bought a number of his products and was always treated friendly and with respect. And his products work.

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
Arlen turned his back on Harley for the same reason Howard turned his back on FM.

$$$$$

He has some good design ideas, like the Big Sucker air filter. I have one and it works OK, but the material quality is just not there. It is already starting to pit. I know two guys that snapped the housing off. When it goes I will replace it with another brand, probably maybe the K&N which was not available when I got my Chinese made Ness filter kit.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Victory writes Arlen's checks, these days. 'Tis only business. His speak of HD dealerships is true in many (but not all) cases. Had Willie brought him in to design a couple of pieces (accompanied with a fat check), his tune may sound different. Regardless, as a designer/builder he is the original article, like his stuff or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts