V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Anyone got one, and do you like it. Looks like a k&n and backing plate. A better choice over SE AC, Arlen ness sells for $109.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got 2, one on my dyna & one on the road glide. I think it's a better choice because it has no breather tubes, they are intergrated through the casting.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
On my 4th. one (4 different bikes), and am totally satisfied with the performance and value!

:clap:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sixgun said:
:confused: Anyone got one, and do you like it. Looks like a k&n and backing plate. A better choice over SE AC, Arlen ness sells for $109.
I just tried to pick one up for my 06 RKC. I heard that HD chg the flange on the 06 EFI. I checked with my dealer who confrmed that it did. Sent a message to Ness and finally got a reply back stating not available for 06 EFI bikes.

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:57:24 -0800
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: HD FLHRSI Big Sucker

Thank you for your inquiry. The 2006 fuel injected kits are currently
unavailable. We expect to have them in stock mid February. Please check back in shortly.

For further technical assistance call (925) 479-6350.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The Ness comes with a K&N or similar oiled filter element. THe new SE doesnot. It has a dry paper element, and I have heard of some porblems with the filter element coming apart.

Regards,

Bill

·
Custom Builder
1,263 Posts
Will the teardrop SE cover fit on the Ness unit?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I guess I'll have to wait for the 06 models to come out in Feb. or March. :badmood:

·
Yup....paid my $15.00
143 Posts
No need to wait.

You can fit an 05' Arlen Ness Big Sucker on an 06' Twin Cam.

It needs to be modified. Not sure how, but it can be done.

How do I know?? Because I have one on 06 RG.

It took my local indy a little bit of time, but he was able to make it work.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Clint50 said:
Will the teardrop SE cover fit on the Ness unit?
It'll fit over the Stage I BS, that only has a 7" air filter (same as the SE), the Stage II has an 8" filter, so it might not fit.

I can attest to the SE filter being a big POS. I have about 3500 miles on my 05 FLHTI (yes, I haven't been riding as much as I should), and last time I went riding with Dave (AzFal), he noticed there were holes in the top of my filter. Nice thing though, I took it back to the dealer I bought it from, and they replaced it for free. (Chosa's/Chester's in Mesa, AZ rocks!) We'll see how long this one lasts.

I'm probably going to go with the AN again when I need a replacement. I had the Stage I on my Lowrider, and the look, quality, and performance were top notch! (although the forcewinder, or that one from d&m look pretty sweet)

·
Cruisin' on down the road
600 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'd like to know if there's any advantage (or disadvantage) to using the Stage II Ness Big Sucker over the Stage I version, given the following details:

2006 FLHTCI (Sunglo Blue or Vivid Black)
SERT
Thunderheader 2-1

The bike is on order, will be built this month to be delivered next month (June). I'll be collecting the pieces above (air intake, SERT, and exhaust), to be installed for time of pickup.

I will be doing some engine work/upgrade, just not sure if it will happen this year or next.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
You can get the SE kit and then toss the MoCo filter and get the K&N (exactly what I did).

I only have 78 miles and already had small holes in the paper element.

·
600 Posts
BB06FLHX said:
You can get the SE kit and then toss the MoCo filter and get the K&N (exactly what I did).

I only have 78 miles and already had small holes in the paper element.
Not to be rude, but why would I pay double for the SE kit, throw out the air filter, and replace it with a K&N for an additional ~$30+, when I can buy the whole Ness package for around $100 US????? There's no logic in what you're suggesting. :dunno:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Put one on my 03 RK that I got off ebay, great setup, just don't over tighten the banjo bolts like I did they can snap. but Ness sent me repacements free of charge.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Cruisin1966 said:
Not to be rude, but why would I pay double for the SE kit, throw out the air filter, and replace it with a K&N for an additional ~$30+, when I can buy the whole Ness package for around $100 US????? There's no logic in what you're suggesting. :dunno:
The SE kit came with my engine upgrade and since HD and K&N are suing each other the dealer wouldn't put a K&N on my bike. So I went and got the K&N myself.

·
600 Posts
BB06FLHX said:
The SE kit came with my engine upgrade and since HD and K&N are suing each other the dealer wouldn't put a K&N on my bike. So I went and got the K&N myself.
Well, that makes much more sense now. LOL

·
600 Posts
So, I still haven't got a response back about whether there may be issues using the Stage II Ness kit versus the Stage I kit on an almost stock FLHTCI (SERT, Thunderheader 2-1)??????

Is there a downside? Overkill? It would be nice not to have to replace the Stage I with a Stage II when I do the engine build this winter.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Judging by the filter element itself the only difference I see is that the Stage II from Arlen is taller (meaning it will stick out just a little more then the Stage I. I believe the covers and everything like that should fit though.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
BB06FLHX said:
Judging by the filter element itself the only difference I see is that the Stage II from Arlen is taller (meaning it will stick out just a little more then the Stage I. I believe the covers and everything like that should fit though.

Actually the Stage II is a larger diameter filter. Stage II is 8". I was wondering if the Stage II would be overkill myself and if there is a disadvantage to more air. I have the Billet Sucker left over from my Sporty and I was considering ordering the BT chrome back plate and hardware so I could reuse the filter and cover.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts