V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What performance advantage will I see if I put this on my stock 02 FLHTCUI?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Check the TC88 message board, there's a few recent posts there. I've heard on the TC88 boards on Yahoo that Ness Big Sucker quality has recently turned to crap. Just an FYI.

-jeff

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I would like to get pipes however I don't want my bike any louder.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree with the quality issue. Everything I run into from Ness has been a problem. I would recommend the NEW SE breather kit. It no longer used the old ugly crossover and it works great. Hoss, if you don't want more noise, try the HD performance touring pipes. Expensive, but good performance with very little extra volume. They do sound better than stock mufflers and they come as a stock part on the 103 SE Road King, so they are 50 state legal.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I can vouch for the poor quality of the big sucker breather kit. I bought one and installed it and after a 60 mile ride the filter element fell apart. They don't use K&N filters anymore, the one that they use are K&N look alikes, which are pure crap. Like I said after 60 miles I noticed my breather cover was loose as I was riding, I pulled over and found the element had collapsed. I had to go to the nearest HD dealer and buy a K&N element.... I'm not very happy with the backing plate either, I've had to replace the o-rings four times as they will break down and start leaking. I posted pics of the element on another site and a rep. from ness e-mailed me asking for my add. he said they would send me another element, I sent them my add. and I still haven't got one from them and that's been almost a year ago. I will never buy anything from them again.

Here's the pics of the element....

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thats nice to know. I was going to get one for the bagger to fix my oil drip from the SE stage 1. Then I was going to use the K&N filter in the sporty aftermarket filter. Guess I'm going with the newer SE then.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a Ness Big Sucker Stage I kit as well, and found the quality to be poor.

To begin with, I was unable to install it because one of the banjo bolts had poorly cut threads. Had I used the discrepant bolt, damage to the head would have resulted. I called the Ness tech line and, without hesitation, they agreed to send a replacement bolt, which will hopefully be here late this week or early next.

The quality of the backing plate seems generally poor. It is a cast aluminum part, and the one I received has a fairly high degree of porosity. Also, the interface between the breather tunnels and the air cleaner base plate lack any discernable fillet radii, which will locally result in high stress concentrations. Overall loading on the backing plate should be minimal but it is still subject to both thermal and vibratory loading, so it is possible that this area will develop cracking at some point.

The air filter itself is a K&N knock off which appears to be consistent in quality with the other components.

Unfortunately, I ordered this kit by mail order, and assumed that it would be of high quality since it has the Ness name attached to it. Had I seen the lack of quality firsthand prior to purchase, I would have decided against it and in favor of the SE kit.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
FLHT said:
Thats nice to know. I was going to get one for the bagger to fix my oil drip from the SE stage 1. Then I was going to use the K&N filter in the sporty aftermarket filter. Guess I'm going with the newer SE then.
If you have the older SE air cleaner kit with the crossover tube, you can order just the new banjo bolts, use the "How to modify" spec sheet from HD and save a bunch of money. I've got a copy of the sheet although I would think the dealers should also have it. Send me a PM if you need it.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
To fix the oil drip do NOT put the breather hose back on the intake. Run it right to the ground.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
That's basically what I did. I got the new breather banjo's, each one has a nipple for 1/4" hose. I ran the rear hose under the carb to a "T" fitting on the front hose and then down in front of the cam chest and along the lower right frame rail back to about under the trans. Put a 90 degree vacuum fitting there and problem is solved.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hoss, neither of the pipes you posted are the ones I was talking about. Look for the Performance Touring mufflers. They have removable end caps and say that they are 50 state legal. They are louder than stock , but not much and they do give better performance.

shooter

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Hey Don, that's exactly what happened to my element !!!! POS !!! What did I do about it????? bought another one $40 .:rolleyes: :mad: I didn't know you could get a K&N for it........... I'll see how long this one lasts. FWIW, the replacement seemed 'beefier' when I put it on.

I see a K&N in my future........

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2002 flhtcui
I went ahead and got the SE Stage I kit and the mufflers below....I got the mufflers from a local for less than 1/2 the price of new......Its just too damn cold right now to put the stuff on.

If anyone here has this set up I would like to know what they think about the differance from stock. performance/sound

Oh yea...I will get it remapped at the dealer once I put all the goodies on.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
OK, so back to his initial question. I too am thinking about adding a SE stage 1 kit to my '03 ultra. IS there a significant difference in performance with the SE kit? The kit is 8?? dollars, what does the dealer charge to install it so the extended warrenty stays good? I already have the H-D touring mufflers (with end caps).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Chuckfw-the Stage one kit is just mufflers, SE Breather kit and EFI calibration. If you just have the muffs, you are running lean with the HD touring pipes. The breather and EFI calibration will make the bike run better, cooler, and give a noticeable power increase, especially in the higher rpm range. If your pipes are installed, the breather is easy to put on. The EFI module must be done with a Scanalizer and my dealer charges one hour of labor in install the module. It takes about 15 minutes to do it.

shooter

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Shooter - I may have misled you. The kit I am thinking about is the SE big bore stage 1 kit (29774-02) for $809 in the H-D accessories book. It takes it from 1450 to 1550. It states that when it is installed by a authorized dealer, it does not impact the limited warranty. I assume that by "limited warranty" they also mean the extended warranty that the dealer sells. The mufflers I bought are the 65259-00 H-D has, but they are still a little too quiet at times. Anyway, from what you said above, there will be a noticible increase in "passing" power?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Moving up to the 1550 will make it a new bike. There is a big jump in torque and HP if tuned properly. No substitute for more inches. I thing that the Big Bore has to be installed at sale time to keep the warranty intact.

shooter

1 - 19 of 19 Posts