V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using the HD electric clothing? If so what are your comments on the gloves, jacket and socks? Did you also buy the thermostat for them? Mike

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Are you warm when riding ?.....At these temps..oh hell no!

I ride year round, and yesterday, the temps were in the high 20's, to low 30's. Needless to say, my trip was a short one, as I only needed to go the bank, and back.

The key to staying relatively warm is to dress in layers, paying particular attention to your neck. You do not want ANY cold air traveling down your chest. At these temps, I start out with long johns, and thick socks. A sweater and Jeans are next. If I'm going on a 20 minute round trip ride, I'll just wear my jacket. If it's more like a 30-45 minute round trip ride, I'll put on my chaps.

I wear the same riding boots year round. and my neck protection on every ride, once the temps drop below 50.

I've never tried heated gloves, but I do have some kick azz winter gloves. The combination of having a fairing ( 04 police glide ) helps a lot too. The gloves are a must, as anyone that rides year round can tell you, once your hands get cold, its all she wrote.

It takes a while to get used to the winter weather, but by mid December, 50 degree days are heat waves, and a 60 degree day is a trip down to the south end of the state! :)

I always have a chuckle come spring, because I'm usually back to wearing a t-shirt and jeans, and I ALWAYS see the seasonal riders dressed in full leathers...lol

Happy Holidays!
David

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
there's snow on the road so my riding has stopped. I've been looking into the heated clothing though and was told that gerbing http://www.gerbing.com/ makes the HD heated clothing. another company that makes heated clothing is widder http://www.widder.com/

here's a few threades on this topic, i did a search on heated.

http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=65867&highlight=heated

http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=66251&highlight=heated

http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=66028&highlight=heated

good luck, ride safe and warm.

·
03 FLHTCUI
375 Posts
TNHARLEY said:
Anybody using the HD electric clothing? If so what are your comments on the gloves, jacket and socks? Did you also buy the thermostat for them? Mike
Yup. H-D does not sell the elctric socks. I got mine from Gerbing. I love them. :banana: I rode about 200 miles yesterday (went out for coffee :coffee:) . Temp was about 18 degrees when I left home and rocketed up to 29 by the time I got back. Had the thermostat on "high" for the whole trip. I think you need the thermostat, because I used the stuff when the temp was about 40 degrees and it was to hot. I turned them down to about half power. I use a poly long sleeve T shirt as the base layer, then the H-D electric jacket liner, then an Aerostich fleece windbreaker. Have my regular riding boots over the electric socks. H-D electric gloves are worth the cost (may be other cheaper :unsure:). I have a full face Scorpio helmet and I wear a balcalava (spelling?) under it. At 65 MPH its like riding in a well controlled toaster oven. Good visibility, good mobility and the look on other peoples faces is a hoot. Whats important to me is that I am not distracted from "driving" by being cold. Two cautions (1) If you do not wear a full face helmet year round, you have to get used to more limited visibilty - keep your head moving. (2) - cagers do NOT expect to see scooters out in the winter. If possible, be extra alert to this fact. I am glad the heated stuff is available, because I love to ride and I do not want to give it up just because the weather is cold (won't ride in ice or snow).

Ride Safe.
Walt

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
a week or so ago, it was in the mid 20's when i left the house, and while i do have a fairing, i had the lowers off & wasn't cold.
long underwear - i buy Duofold - not bulky...the layered construction keeps you warm.
sweatshirts - Carharts are the warmest IMO
jacket - I have a HD fleece lined nylon that i bought at a dealer open house this summer at $135 - 20% and the fleece lining goes up into the collar, too...add a scarf and i'm warm.
boots - i have lined Rocky's and unlined HD(wolverines)
gloves - i bought a bunch of gore-tex ski gloves for a couple bucks/pair at a sale in the spring and they work fine, although heated would be nice

·
Banned
202 Posts
Heated clothing? Fairings?

Try doing 75 to 80 mph for about 45 minutes in 20 something temps wearing your leather jacket, chaps, and thinsulate gloves.

As long as the hands and feet are warm, you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I went out at dusk tonight. I guess it was around 40. I was working outside and had on a beater a tee a carhart and sweatshirt jeans good socks and my low work shoes. Decided to go for a spin and pulled on a leather, balcava, and a 3/4, Harley guantlets and thinsulate liners. Got about 20 minutes in before the forward edge of my legs went away. still a hoot.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
anyone tried that UnderArmour? They make a "cold" line that is supposed to be extremly toasty, very lightweight and comfy too. I was checking it out today, the chick in the sports store says it is the total sheite, made primarily for winter sports like skiing and snowboarding, it's designed for use in temps in the zero range! $50 for the pants(they look like tights) so they aint cheap. Looking for someone who has tried em before I take the plunge.

·
03 FLHTCUI
375 Posts
adlerx said:
anyone tried that UnderArmour?
Nope, have not tried it, but heard of it (good reports). Here is another one that I have not tried, but a couple of hunters I know say it is really good for cold weather. The name is Carol Davis Sportswear and the web site is www.cdsportswear.com (question for you computer guru's - how do you embed the web site address so readers just have to click on the descripton?) Its pricy also.

WHOW! Ask and you shall receive (well, it is Sunday). I just looked at the post after sending it, and it was done automatically. Cool. OK, how do make it a link? I have seen some posts where you just see the word "here" in blue and it takes you to the web site. Will try and continue my electronic education today (rain in the forecast, so limited riding).

Ride Safe.
Walt

·
Registered
61 Posts
I read alot on the cold weather ridin but I very seldom ever see bikes on the road when its below 60 degrees.Myself I am not on the hywaygenerally if its below 50 degrees.My cold weather gear consists of jacket gloves flyers cap.Now if I rode a full dresser I could see myself out there in the 40s perhaps the 30s.Just seems like alot of peeps are sposedly ridin in the 20s etc but I never see it.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
someone had mentioned that some of the insulated boot, gloves and this most likely would apply to long johns, that alot of the items keep you warm if your active when using them. I use carhart coat and bibs, with insulated boots (Magnum insulated) and HD winter gloves. in real cold weather after a length of time hands and feet are chilled. I need heated clothing it looks like for those conditions.

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
adlerx said:
anyone tried that UnderArmour? They make a "cold" line that is supposed to be extremly toasty, very lightweight and comfy too. I was checking it out today, the chick in the sports store says it is the total sheite, made primarily for winter sports like skiing and snowboarding, it's designed for use in temps in the zero range! $50 for the pants(they look like tights) so they aint cheap. Looking for someone who has tried em before I take the plunge.
I just bought some UnderArmor Cold Gear. Haven't tried it riding yet, but did wear it around the house for a couple of hours to get a feel for it. Even though it's tight, it isn't restrictive at all. What does feel weird though is that I didn't feel warm with it on. The whole time I was wearing I felt cool, so I ventured out on the deck (about 35 degrees outside) and hung out for about 10 minutes. I can't say I got cold, but that weird cool feeling was still there. I'll have a better idea when I put it on with some other clothing.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I ride all year long in the frigid NoVA area :roflback:

I wear the HD long underwear pants and an REI high tech cold shirt. (I have not tried the UnderArmor cold stuff yet, but a female friend of mine loves them.)

I wear REI CoolMax socks and HD Goretex boots all year long. My feet get a little cold on long rides (1 hr +) 40 degrees and less. I may try heated socks.

I use the Gerbing jacket lining and HD heated gloves with the thermostat. Temperature adjustment is good :)

I wear my Vanson perforated jacket until I still have chills, then I switch to my HD FXRG lightweight jacket. I have a heavyweight too (from last year when I did not have the heated lining).

I have a HD System helmet and sport a balaclava under it, with clear padded glasses or sunglasses.

I ride unless there's ice or sticking snow.

Yesterday I rode to Jarratt, VA and back (160 mi each way), for a funeral. I was extremely comfortable, travelling between 70 and 85 mph. Feet got a little cold when the sun went down in stop and go traffic before Fredericksburg :)

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
Years ago I had something called Ski Skins, but I don't think they make them anymore. It was a body suit kind of thing and was very thin. It was something between panty hose material and cotton. I would go skiing in 5 below weather with this thing on and nothing else except some jeans, a t-shirt and a ski jacket. Only time they ever failed me was when I got stuck on a broken chairlift for over an hour in the blast of a snow cannon, but I don't believe anything would have held up in that situation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My wife uses Gerbing's jacket liner, Pants and gloves. She commutes year round on her E-glide. I have the heated jacket liner and controller. I recomend the controller, otherwise you'll be trying to turn the switch off and on to control the temp. Gerbing is very good stuff.

·
Riding yr rnd in sunny FL
309 Posts
Ditto on the Gerbing has good stuff. I have their jacket liner and thermostat. Southwest Florida isn't too cold, but it does get down in the 30's occasionally and the Gerbing jacket keeps me toasty warm.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have a waterproof Joe Rocket textile jacket and pants. Along with a fleece shirt, long underwear and jeans and I stay pretty warm.

I wish my bike had heated grips. The ones HD sells in the P&A catalog have a big ass rheostat that looks like it came from a toaster. HD should take note of how BMW does heated grips. You can't even tell they're heated by looking at them.

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
I've been thinking that just maybe riding in the cold and wet might be safer. While you would think people don't expect to see motorcycles on the road this time of year and are therefore more likely to not see you, I submit they don't look for you at anytime of the year. I contend you are safer because these banana brains tend to notice what they consider the moron on the motorcycle this time of year.

I've been riding just about everyday since it turned cold and rainy and the looks I get are interesting. Some look as if they long to do the same thing, but can't take the weather. Others look at you like you're something out of Mad Max come to life because no one in their right mind and not on drugs would be riding in such uncomfortable conditions.

Every single day someone at the office will make some smart ass remark about me walking in shaking the water off my jacket or cleaning the muddy muck off my glasses and helmet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Year round riding...

Down here in North Alabama, we have some fairly cold mornings November through March. I ride an hour and a half to work. Over the years, my low limit was 28 degrees with longjohns, cowhide jacket and chaps. I hope to push that limit lower...

This year I bought the First Gear Kilaminjaro Jacket and HT pants. Along with that, I bought a 2005 Ultra (hence the "Elephant Rider" tag.) I don't know if I will ever go electric... I'll just layer up as necessary. With the wind protection the Ultra offers, there is really nothing different between sitting on the Ultra and sitting in a tree stand waiting for Bambi's dad to stroll by.

The full face helmet is a mother to get used to as far as visibility and fogging are concerned. I have one size larger, and wear a knit wool cap under it.

The boots are Rocky Cody Wellingtons. Gore Tex lined, they are warm and waterproof. Wool socks help, too.

I am still looking for better gloves. Recommendations?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts