V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 FLHR 95". For some reason I thought I had flat top pistons. I had a fire and lost my records and the dealer didn't keep the records. So I put a scope down the spark plug holes and this is what I see. Comparing to the 2001 HD accessories catalog, I now think I must have the 95" high compression forged dome pistons, which would put me at 10.5-1 compression with the SE heads. Is that right?

Astronomical object Circle Metal Moon Darkness

Artifact Circle Cookware and bakeware Auto part Automotive wheel system

Helmet Product Sports equipment Sports gear Font

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably cast,,, looks like a slight dome... the first pic, appears as part of the piston has eroded or is missing for some reason,,, if this is the case, it needs to come apart
Well, another clue is that the catalog warns the cast pistons should not be used over 6200 rpm. I just checked and I have the 7000 rpm module that was installed by the dealer at the same time as the pistons.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Run a can of BG44K (p/n 208) through the next 3 fillups. I think they call it platinum now. If you can find the old stuff with the gold label get it. That will clean those piston tops etc. pretty good. If you can't find that or don't want to pay the cost (over $20 to $30 for an 11 oz. can) find some Redline fuel treatment. That has a high concentration of PEA for cleaning combustion deposits.

Hard to tell from the top pic, but the bottom looks like a small dome. I never could find the specs for the pistons, and I don't have a setup for measuring dome volume. But several places I found while searching said it was a 7 cc dome. Since I haven't seen the piston tops in over 12 years, that could be the shape.

The ones I have were made for Harley by Arias. Big letters on the underside of the piston.

You still don't know what you have as there were std. and 2 oversized available.

Is that ignition module adjustable? Any trimpots, knobs, or dials? Just because it will let you rev to 7K might not be a very good idea. Even with forged pistons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I haven't seen the piston tops in over 12 years, that could be the shape.

You still don't know what you have as there were std. and 2 oversized available.

Is that ignition module adjustable? Any trimpots, knobs, or dials? Just because it will let you rev to 7K might not be a very good idea. Even with forged pistons.
They look like the forged pistons in the bottom photo I posted from the 2001 accessories catalog to me.

They should be standard pistons, I bought the bike new in 2000 with this setup, and it's never been apart.

No adjustment on the 32724-99 SE 7000 rpm ignition system. My point was that the dealer should have used a SE 6200 rpm ignition module with cast pistons, and should not have used a 7000 rpm ignition for cast pistons. But since the dealer did put in a 7000 rpm module instead, that would be a match for the forged pistons, not that I am ever meaning to go that high.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
They are forged. 22868-00, made by Wiseco.
10.5:1 advertised when used with the SE Performance heads 16952-99 76cc advertised YMMV. Look between the heads and barrels for sign of what head gaskets were used, Cometic and HD MLS had tabs with rivets holding the layers together between the pushrods during that era. Adequate valve reliefs to support any of the cams we discussed and if you wanted to hit the go button will support more, assuming the motor health is good, verified by a compression / leakdown test.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look between the heads and barrels for sign of what head gaskets were used, Cometic and HD MLS had tabs with rivets holding the layers together between the pushrods during that era.
I don't see tabs behind the pushrod covers, but it is hard to see back there. I do see a tab on the other side (left, spark plug side) but can't see a rivet. What does this mean, different compression?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts