• No

Votes: 34 68.0%
141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
And THAT'S the best you can do? :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
If it was a mess of crawfish y'all talking about I might be stuffed, however if I choked to death on the last bite then I probably wouldn't be thinking much about the catfish stew.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been laughing through seven pages! My first H-D is (yes, I still have it) an '85 XLH. I then acquired a basket '82 XLH. Followed by a '79 FXE, and I'm presently repairing a '66 XLCH basket. I still have all of them. Those AWFUL Ironhead Sportster! OMG! They're a hoot! Yes, they are top heavy, yes, you ride far above the pavement. OMG do they vibrate! But they are tons of fun to ride. Having said that, I ride the FXE the most, as I've grown "Comfortable" over the last 62 years. But when it's time to go out on the road and raise some cane, I take an XL. Skirtster, Girly bike, Girls' bike, I've heard it all, and I've said it myself too. I can also say Grannyglide, and Geriatric Trike. I say it with a smile. Some people just cannot see that it's all in fun. Sportsters don't get much love from most guys, and that's okay. Bill Davidson (NOT Willie G) had his design team build the Sportster to be a hellraiser, not a land barge or a road couch. Somehow, that has been lost in translation to most Big Twin riders. Before anyone gets offended by Road couch, or Land barge, HOG was coined by XL riders for big twins, and it was NOT a term of endearment. It seems that the younger riders here don't understand the concept of a little good natured teasing. The idea USED to be to rib your' friends, and for everyone to have a good time. It now seems that political correctness demands that we treat Girls' bikes (and those who ride them) the same as we treat big twins and their riders. Nope, not going to work that way. Two different kinds of bikes, and two different types of riding. But in the end, we are all motorcyclists.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Since some people have been dredging up old threads about this sort of stuff, and this year is probably the last chance to buy a new one, lets find out if Sportsters have become girls bikes. We'll do it the American way, with a vote. No mail in ballots allowed.
Dumb question , people buy what they can afford & if a sportswriter is all they can afford & they want to ride so be it !!!

·
Super Moderator
21,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Dumb question , people buy what they can afford & if a sportswriter is all they can afford & they want to ride so be it !!!
That is so untrue. People will buy what ever they can get financed on. 3 years ago the local repop auction was flooded with Harley's. Most of the sportsters didn't get bids, so they ran some of them back through in lots of five with no minimums. And only a few of those got sold. There are so many people buying Harley's that they can not afford, the repop market was flooded. Once things get going again, it will be interesting to see where the market is after the shut down. Based on sub prime auto loan defaults, there will be another bumper crop. But the shortage of new scooter may have eaten into it a little, and all of the covid checks may have open some space up in the indy showrooms.

I just took a look at the local indys inventory, and it looks to be pretty slim for this time of year. Only Sporty over $5K is a 2017 consignment scooter. And its prolly priced at a little over the pay off on the loan.

·
Registered
78 Posts
One of the fastest, best handling superbikes ever made, the BUELL XBRR, is just a modified Sporster w/ the same 45 degree Vtwin. ^ That son-of-a-bitch will still stomp the sh#@ outta any production bike outta Japan or Italy to this day. Interestingly, the revered V-Rod only displaced 1130cc yet outweighed a BUELL by almost 200lbs w/ less power yet no one calls the V rod a 'girl's bike'???

·
Registered
78 Posts
Also the record for the fastest American ever in the Isle of Man TT race was set in 2016 by Mark Miller riding an EBR 1190 which is a direct derivative of a 1200 Sportster. Even w/ the 60 degree Rotax alteration its still basically a Sportster at it's core. Odd you never see a big 115ci Softtail or CVO racing since they're such Big, Bad He-Man bikes......Ha ha ha!!!

Also, another 1190 EBR busting 177mph! Again why isn't a 115ci Breakout or V-Rod dusting a tiny 72ci EBR? Because the 1200 Sportster is one damn fast machine and the huge, heavy, poor handling/braking hog bikes ain't.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
LOL, so a Buell is a Sportster because they once shared an engine block. If I put a sportster sticker on my fatboy does that make it a buell too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The point of the Sportster, the Buell and even the V-Rod is a motorcycle engine doesn't have to be 115+ci to dominate the streets. Quite the opposite in fact. Otherwise why do bikes w/ the same displacement as the 'Girl's Bike' beat the livin' sh#@ outta the Big, Bad, He-Man BT's? If I'm wrong why don't I see any of them on the Isle of Man? Because they're slow, heavy as hell cruisers not intended for speed and handling yet the owners of the BTs deride Sporsters.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,215 Posts
The point of the Sportster, the Buell and even the V-Rod is a motorcycle engine doesn't have to be 115+ci to dominate the streets. Quite the opposite in fact. Otherwise why do bikes w/ the same displacement as the 'Girl's Bike' beat the livin' sh#@ outta the Big, Bad, He-Man BT's? If I'm wrong why don't I see any of them on the Isle of Man? Because they're slow, heavy as hell cruisers not intended for speed and handling yet the owners of the BTs deride Sporsters.
Who has ever said that the infamous "sportster debate" is about speed?

·
Administrator
11,285 Posts
It depends who I'm talking to and what their position on the Sportster is. If they defend it obnoxiously then it's a girls bike and I can argue that. If they are on a big twin and saying it, then I will defend the Sportster as faster and better handling than their bike. If it's a girl and asking for help, then a Sportster is a little more top heavy and it might actually be easier for them to handle a bike with a lower center of gravity. In a normal discussion it's just another bike.

141 - 160 of 174 Posts