Votes: 16 32.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 68.0%
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since some people have been dredging up old threads about this sort of stuff, and this year is probably the last chance to buy a new one, lets find out if Sportsters have become girls bikes. We'll do it the American way, with a vote. No mail in ballots allowed.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
They are anyone's bike... so I said yes they are a girls bike... I would have said they are a boys bike too!
Ride what you like and enjoy

Reactions: Rawhide

·
Registered
769 Posts
When I was in High School they were called "The Gentleman's Harley" not the girls bike. I've seen them hot shoe raced for years and the riders were all tough men. The only reason they started getting called a girls bike is because so many small women wanted to ride and couldn't handle the bigger and heavier big twins. I know lots of guys that own one. So I'm saying no.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,797 Posts
Mine wasn't. IDK the assigned/variable/temporary/biological sex of the current owner [if there is one].

joe

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I had one for about 6 months. Got it for a great price,, seemed like a great idea..At 6' 225lbs at the time I looked absolutely ridiculous riding it they are too small even with forwards it felt like a moped. 6k rpm on the throughway and a peanut tank = 7 stops for gas. ...they are what I consider a small man's bike or a big chick...lol. I couldn't wait to get rid of it...

·
Registered
980 Posts
they are tear ass faster and able to climb trees....very suitible for shorter smaller guys and work well for most wemen provided they are not big and large....why did they not make a larger sportster/eng is beyond me

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
I think the term "girls bike" regarding sportsters is basically a "put down" towards men that have one. I don't see it that way, never have. I have had 3 sportsters. Very nice bikes and would compete with any other bikes at the time ('59-'67). Just because some women ride them does not dictate that they are "girls bikes". I have seen lots of women ride flh's and do a fine job of it. That doesn't make the baggers a "girls bike". My answer is NO, it's not a girls bike, it's a "everybodys bike"!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I rode sportsters in the 60s and 70s and will always have a soft spot for them. And everytime I see a hot deal on one I am seriously tempted. But now at 6'2" and 250 lbs even when I ride my FXRS it looks like a pissant carrying a bisquit. I guess thats what an extra 100lbs does for you.
My daughter rides the FXR and it's a nice bike for her, she didn't want a sportster even though I wanted to start her on one. mostly because used ones are easy to find and pretty cheap. So I am calling it just a good starter to riding a bike, man or woman.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Calling a Sportster "a girl's bike" is a tradition that I will do my best to continue. It is like an initiation rite and helps form a HD brotherhood. Most of us started our HD appreciation on Sportsters but as we got older we upgraded to something bigger in size just like we got bigger in size! If you are a Sportster fan and want to go to a big twin I recommend trying out a FXR.
I feel like some are taking this WAAY too seriously. Ever since e-start they are all girls bikes.
So in conclusion (haha), yes Sportsters are girls bikes. Still.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I will add that when I started riding sportsters you needed decent mechanical skills to keep them running, along with the stamina for a lot of kicking, something most girls at the time weren't interested in. Estart and reliability changed that. When I was in the 7th and 8th grade a girl's mom would bring her to school on a K model and we would kick start it for her.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Calling a Sportster "a girl's bike" is a tradition that I will do my best to continue. It is like an initiation rite and helps form a HD brotherhood. Most of us started our HD appreciation on Sportsters but as we got older we upgraded to something bigger in size just like we got bigger in size! If you are a Sportster fan and want to go to a big twin I recommend trying out a FXR.
I feel like some are taking this WAAY too seriously. Ever since e-start they are all girls bikes.
So in conclusion (haha), yes Sportsters are girls bikes. Still.

I cannot disagree more with your illogical conclusion.

·
Super Moderator
21,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will add that when I started riding sportsters you needed decent mechanical skills to keep them running, along with the stamina for a lot of kicking, something most girls at the time weren't interested in. Estart and reliability changed that. When I was in the 7th and 8th grade a girl's mom would bring her to school on a K model and we would kick start it for her.

Ya those earlier Iron Head Sportsers took a lot of TLC to keep em rolling. And they were more than a little hard to ride. We used to ditch those tall wheels and put 16 inch rims on them. They called them Hog wheels. Those early 70's clutches with the select fit spacers and locknuts were a pain in the ass. One spacer set was too tight, and the next set up was too loose. Gary Bang sold some real tight lock nuts that let you dump the spacers and just measure the clearance. They worked good, right up until the studs spun off in the hub. The tires limited how hard you could lean them and the rear drum break always want to lead the way in a hard stop. The big tires helped a little with that. And if you wallet was light, you het get a new rear tire from western Auto for about $19. Just ask for a 16 inch VW tire. That brake pedal was about 18 inches long, and the brake rod was only an inch or so off the pivot. It was real easy to lock them up. And the right shift left brake tripped up a lot of people who were just off of Asian scooters. Back then we called left shift scooters "goofy foot", now they use that tag on right shift scooters. I had a nip digger back then too. And more than once I was banging the shifter looking for breaks.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts