V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I live (Ca.), there has been some news stories about some Politicians suggesting we go to one grade of gasoline (Regular!) to keep prices low, supplies high, and basicly saving the World.

This is Chevron's Position, as answered by someone in management addressing an employee question on an intra-net site, where rumors are busted...

09-09/02 A Single Grade of Gasoline

Comment: Would it be more cost effective if all oil companies went to a single grade of unleaded gasoline?

9/3/02
Response: We believe that going to a single grade of gasoline would not be cost effective. It's not likely that refineries would produce more gasoline than what they do today. Most already maximize their gasoline production or keep it in tune with existing demand-which would not increase simply by having just one grade. Retailers would not likely increase their over-all inventories because they would carry just one grade. Again, over-all demand would not increase and carrying inventory costs money. We would also be faced with unhappy customers since a significant number have legitimate requirements for premium grades. Many would not be content with having to put a chemical additive into their gas tanks every time they fill up.

Dave Xxxx, Marketing, 9/9/02

Good...

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
I hope not, although you can always add an octane boost with a separate container, for me with a 3-1/2 gallon tank I would need a side car full of the stuff to get anywhere. There's a station nearby that carries 104, I was looking forward to running a tank full of that just for the fun of it.

Really appreciate your input, Mitch, and actually think I got a little more than I paid for!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Originally posted by chiselchst

We would also be faced with unhappy customers since a significant number have legitimate requirements for premium grades.

Ain't that the truth !!! Talk about PING CITY !!! LOL.

·
Registered
906 Posts
That would really really suck a$$, my car requires premium grade! :(

Sometimes I think California is its own country. :/

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Damn, I hope not, my brand new car I just purchased for the wife REQUIRES 91 or Higher....

Aw, takes me back to the days of having to add "Octane Boost" with every tank on the good ole' Goat:D

·
Registered
629 Posts
Kind of pointless considering that most fuel dfelivered to the stations is all 87 octane. There is a seperate tank for the octane. The pumps inject octane into the fuel to meet the requirements of the buyer. If you push the 87 buttun, plain old 87 comes out. If you push the 89 button, the pump will inject some octane in with the 87. If you push the 91 button, it will inject even more octane.

So there is already only one grade, you are paying for the seperate octane supply.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
87 w/ a squirt of Octane??

Where did that statistic/fact come from about all the buttons do is add a couple shots of octane to up the level. I know here in the Houston area there are 3 holes in the ground by all of the gas stations I go to (4 if they also sell diesel) and they are painted 3 different colors to identify which grade of gas goes into each holding tank.
I am not saying that there isn't a possibility that those buttons only add some octane shot to up the grade. I know its a feasable theory, but I like to know where that information was obtained so I can do some personal research on my own. Thanks.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
"87 w/ squirt of Octane"

...same here in NY, 3 tanks or more for diesel and kerosene, Sometimes one tank or the other is empty and there are only limited selections for grades. Also the higher grades have detergents etc. that the 87 doesn't. You sure about that Sidewalk?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sidewalk, I have Never Heard of That...

I'll tell you the way Chevron does it...(and I'd bet that the "octane" boost method is not actually used, with all due respect)...

They only ship too grades. Regular and premium. When you purchase the mid grade, it mixes the the two grades equally.

Supreme has more Techroline than the other grades.

Where did you hear this "octane injection" concept? What component is it that they inject to boost octane?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey JF, I knew there had to be someone here who had a GTO. (I've had 3 of them over the years.) Some years back I found a place in Indiana that sold tetraethyl lead in bulk, they sold it mostly to farmers that had equipment that required leaded fuel. WAAAAAAYYYYYYYY better than adding that 104 stuff. I kept one of those small washer fluid bottles of the stuff in the trunk, so I would have some when I filled up. Worked every bit as well as the racing fuel I tried. Could not believe it, engine had much more power of course, but it was so much smoother and quieter it didn't seem like the same engine. A high compression V-8 running leaded premium is just as good as a high-dollar hooker IMHO...:D

·
Registered
906 Posts
I worked at 4 different gas stations here in Connecticut and all have separate tanks for different octane levels, I seriously doubt that any octane boost is *injected* at the push of a button.

jut my .02

·
Registered
629 Posts
Might have miss understood some of te stations, but I do know that is how the station here on base works. Unless, they slightly exxagerated too. It would make sense since the ran out of all 3 flavors at one time the other day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts