V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the new 06 reflector type headlights brighter or make much of a difference. Living in a rural area would like to light up the road better. Thought about adding driving lights but dont think that would look to good for a 03 softail standard.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
New headlights are brighter cause their new. The new headlights from HD however I don't think are better than the old style of fluted lense lights. On my '03 Sportster I changed to the new style of light and it then had a dark spot in the middle of the pattern. That problem continues with my '05 Night Train. -2$en#e-

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Cop_Stanger said:
New headlights are brighter cause their new. The new headlights from HD however I don't think are better than the old style of fluted lense lights. On my '03 Sportster I changed to the new style of light and it then had a dark spot in the middle of the pattern. That problem continues with my '05 Night Train.
The problem is the reflector. Reflectors in lighting systems are designed for the shape of the bulb.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
8-Ball said:
The problem is the reflector. Reflectors in lighting systems are designed for the shape of the bulb.
Nothing has been changed from what HD installed. If the design is poor it's their fault.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've got the H-D Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit (part#67863-04) and it is noticably brighter than the stock sealed beam that it replaced.

The problem is...the size of the lighted area is still pretty small. I wish I could get a lighted area like you get with a car...

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I put an '05 headlight into my '04 bucket and the difference, especially on highbeam, is incredible. The high beam is better than the headlights on my '03 ram truck.

·
Draggin' Floorboards!
545 Posts
the low beam on my '06 Fatty is adequate, and blows away the lighting on my car.. the highbeam is crazy.. you can see EVERYTHING with that puppy on.

~!Awesome!

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
on my 06 dyna, low beam is great and wide. high beam is excellent, but leaves a dark area about 50 ft in front of the bike. i can ride at 100 or so mph at night and see well. i will be adding low mounted driving lights to compensate for the dead area while on bright.

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts
Brighter Headlight

Go to this link and scroll down to the area that says "Headlight Trick."

http://groups.msn.com/toddsharleypix/tow1.msnw

I guess it will work, haven't tried it yet, just came across it. There are other helpful tips on that link as well.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My only complaint on my '02 was that the headlight sucked a$$. I put the new style headlight in and it's hard to believe the difference- it lights everything up!

Worth every penny.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I can confirm that the new type light is in fact brighter. I put one on my 2003 Fatboy and it is a very noticable difference. It is also a much nicer looking light and you can change just the bulb if it blows. My old one was the sealed type.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
the low beam on my '06 Fatty is adequate, and blows away the lighting on my car.. the highbeam is crazy.. you can see EVERYTHING with that puppy on.

~!Awesome!
I agree, mine kicks butt!

·
Colorado crusin'
271 Posts
I went from the halogen to the xenon and it is much brighter for the same wattage. Looks blue from the front but I don't notice a color difference from the rider position.

My headlight sucks though. the mounting bracket is great but the light is riveted to the bracket and it rattles like crazy at certain speeds/rpms. I doubt this is good for the bulb or my nerves, looking for something different soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A really bright headlight.

The older I get the more light I need so a really bright headlight was imperative. I popped for an H.I.D. system made by xsightinglighting;
http://www.xesighting.com/products.html

They ask $500 for it but I found in at Debrix.com for $379. It lights up the road like daylight from shoulder to shoulder but has such a sharp cutoff that it doesn't blind oncoming traffic.
The high beam does not get any brighter, just lights up the trees and overhead signs as well. Since this is a projector beam like used on upscale cages the high/low is actually handled by a mechanical shutter operated by a solenoid.

I love this light and now would not drive at night with anything else. (Even installed similar in my cage) It's pricey but if you need the ight it is worth it. One caveat, I needed to add a clamping diode from the high beam power wire to ground. Without it, the first time I switched from high to low the resulting spike blew out my high beam indicator light.

·
RUB wanna be
747 Posts
I find that yes, it does seem to put out a brighter beam of light at night, however, the daylight visibility has been greatly diminished.

The older headlamp cases ('04 and below) seemed to disperse the light better for day light driving. I've noticed many 05's and later bikes on the road that had a slightly misaligned headlamp and with low beams on during the day, you may as well not even have a lamp on.

Another thing - I love the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. All of my bikes get that upgrade immediately.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts