V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that the LED lights like the Kuryakyn Panaceas are hard to see in the daylight? The report is the night time visibility is greatly improved but the daylight visibility is less than stock. Any opinions? Thanks

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Not true at all. I had a LED brake light and small (1/4" x 2") LED for directional and riding buddies said it was brighter then stock 24-7.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I have the Panecea light, the blinker part is hard to see in direct bright sunlight, but the brake light is good. Besides, it flashes and gets the cagers attention. At least it's supposed to!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
some are... some are not. it all depends.

LEDs are not just LEDs; they are not all the same. Like incandescents, they come in a HUGE spectrum of brightnesses, sizes, and colors. See through the hype and you will understand.

Simply put, some lights are crap and some are exquisite... the crap lights sell a lot because they are cheap and most people do not know anything about LEDs and figure they are all the same.

For reference, I've seen 5 LEDs of one variety do what 120 LEDs of another variety can do... and at least twice as bright as the 120.

Caveat emptor... and do some research first before you plunk your dead presidents down.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
some are... some are not. it all depends.

Caveat emptor... and do some research first before you plunk your dead presidents down.
What he said. I have the Kuryakyn Panacea LED lights and have for about 5 yrs. No problems that I know of. Of course, I'm never behind me but brother has never said anything about not being able to see them when riding behind me.

If they ever go out, I'm looking at www.heavycycles.com to replace(DrHeathenScum's website).

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have small firelights that act as secondary running and brake lights. These leds are BRIGHT. Now I dont know the name of what my friend and his wife brought for thier bikes but I can say that they removed the entire tail light and turn signal block and replaced them with a led unit that looks almost the same but has a small oval crome deal that runs through the brake lite lens. After riding with them I can say Id never buy whatever they had since in the daytime its damm hard to see thier lites. Id dare say I hang back further when behind them because I know that I cant count on seeing thier brake light. Of course there are probably alternatives like I have that are brighter.

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dcman27 said:
Now I dont know the name
Anyway you can find out the brand they bought? Thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Gave him a call. The brand he and his wife have are Kuryakyn. As I said I have some time riding with both of them and darn I guess Im jsut to nice to tell them that the things were a waste of money (assuming being seen is a factor).

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are the ones I heard about being hard to see in the day time. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
I have the Panecea light, the blinker part is hard to see in direct bright sunlight, but the brake light is good. Besides, it flashes and gets the cagers attention. At least it's supposed to!
Ditto... Panacea blinkers are virtually nonexistent in the daylight... took them back and went with www.heavycycles.com LEDs.

I'll be sure to post back when they arrive and we get a chance to look at them. The owner of www.heavycycles.com seems to be a nice guy and pays attention to detail... their website demonstrates the brightness difference which looks huge. I'm looking forward to getting them on. The guy kind of sounds like a closet pyro with his excitement over really bright LEDs. I think this is a good thing when it comes to lights for the bike tho'. I may call SWAT before opening the package.

·
Registered
84 Posts
bigblock455 said:
I've heard that the LED lights like the Kuryakyn Panaceas are hard to see in the daylight? The report is the night time visibility is greatly improved but the daylight visibility is less than stock. Any opinions? Thanks
The Panaceas are damn hard to see in the daylight. Was riding behind a guy this weekend that had them on his bike, they look great at night and suck in the daylight. I was ready to order a set until I saw that. Now when I order it will be from heavycycles.
Stock brakelights are much brighter in the daylight than the Panaceas.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
R-K-Rob said:
The Panaceas are damn hard to see in the daylight. Was riding behind a guy this weekend that had them on his bike, they look great at night and suck in the daylight. I was ready to order a set until I saw that. Now when I order it will be from heavycycles.
Stock brakelights are much brighter in the daylight than the Panaceas.
This has been my experience also from following friends with those lights in day and night conditions. To me stock is way more easily seen in day light than the Panaceas to the point where I would not put them on my scoot for fear that it would put me at risk.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
8-Ball said:
The guy kind of sounds like a closet pyro with his excitement over really bright LEDs. I think this is a good thing when it comes to lights for the bike tho'. I may call SWAT before opening the package.
am I that obvious? :wootdnc:

·
Registered
991 Posts
8-Ball said:
Ditto... Panacea blinkers are virtually nonexistent in the daylight... took them back and went with www.heavycycles.com LEDs.

I'll be sure to post back when they arrive and we get a chance to look at them. The owner of www.heavycycles.com seems to be a nice guy and pays attention to detail... their website demonstrates the brightness difference which looks huge. I'm looking forward to getting them on. The guy kind of sounds like a closet pyro with his excitement over really bright LEDs. I think this is a good thing when it comes to lights for the bike tho'. I may call SWAT before opening the package.
Anybody know where to get bright LED brake and turn signals for Electra Glides before 1999? I can tell you first hand that the Panaceas are way too dim during daylight hours.

1993 Electra Glide Sport
Baisley SE Heads, SE Pistons 10.5:1
Baisley CG Roller Rockers
Woods W6H, Mikuni 42
SE Select Curve Ignition
SuperTrapp True Dual w/ Fishtail Slip-ons
91 hp / 92 tq @ 2700 rpm

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
deejay-2k said:
Anybody know where to get bright LED brake and turn signals for Electra Glides before 1999? I can tell you first hand that the Panaceas are way too dim during daylight hours.
I've done them... in either the stock up-to-'99 H-D housing, or a Kuryakyn laydown housing. However, I do not include a bulb socket pigtail connector, but rather 3' leads so you could splice it at the light or run the wires up to the OEM connector under the seat (I think a '93 has one). I don't deal with bulb socket connectors... to likely of a failure point.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Okay, here is the deal on my new www.heavycycles.com LED, laydown, blacked out sides, smoke face, with tag lens down taillight.

ITS FUCKIN' BRIGHT.... and its perfect...

The Panacea system is a mere toy by comparison. I'm switching to smoke deep chrome bezels on the rear blinks and then the tail is done.

Joe (DrHeathenScum), you did a fantastic job and thanks for taking the time to go the extra mile to get the all the features I wanted... although I know it was and I was and Lace was (and still is) a pain in the ass.

I'll take some pics when I get back from the Yuma Prison Run.

My Dear Doctor... you are the best!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
My experience has always been like everyone else's- you get what you pay for. If you can spare it, they are certainly worth the extra cash for both style and safety points.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts