V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
It looks like the engine is part of the frame, the structure. Or else it just hangs from the backbone, but I'd think not.

joe

Joe missing downtubes, Joe getting downtubes

[/URL]

....one of their dozen NOVA versions they had in their multi-million-Dollar program, which was thought as a possible racer and based on the XRTT chassis ...
a bit spindly though, the tubes.....possibly would have been a flexi-flyer with the 180 hp they thought they were aiming at, i don´t know.......
.....for flexi-flyers, the usual big engine motosickles of that time, they were too....so it woulda been era-correct....

But you´re right, otherwise it was....:
"....A pressed steel main frame, using the engine as a structural member, so without a cradle design no front downtubes are
necessary giving the bike a cleaner look as well reducing chassis weight. ...."

,,,,,Elegant, aerodynamic bodywork for touring versions included sleek saddlebags with integral turn signals and a low-profile top box.
Wind tunnel testing of each version was done to minimize drag and turbulence while maximizing aesthetics.
The fairing that was so carefully designed and tested made it into production for use in the Nova touring versions was used on the 1983 FXRT Sport Glide.
The distinctive shape of the Nova’s hard saddle bags found a place there, as well.
...."

Early rendering ....., screaming BMW, luckily not what made it to prototypes (one could think for copyrights, when comparing
the fairing with the Beemer..) and thus not to the FXRT...:

[/URL]

Shortly before the buy-back AMF decided to skip the Nova-bikes in favour of focussing the production towards the Evo engine instead,
and with the Gang of 13 having no Dollar for both..... we can finally be happy they kept the Blockhead but saved most of the bodywork of the Nova tourers.....

I like the Willi G. approach to keep the front clean and hide the radiator ......which was why it got Yamaha V-max gills years before the Vmax appeared....

And it had that Buell ZTL type brake rotor over a century before the Buell had one, which would have been another sweet part to transfer ......
(but maybe would have been on the large side as a 19"-wheel version.....)

[/URL]

I don´t know what it is about the german flag on the tank, maybe it was meant as a Porsche signature on that one ... ?.....

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,738 Posts
Joe missing downtubes, Joe getting downtubes

[/URL]

....one of their dozen NOVA versions they had in their multi-million-Dollar program, which was thought as a possible racer and based on the XRTT chassis ...
a bit spindly though, the tubes.....possibly would have been a flexi-flyer with the 180 hp they thought they were aiming at, i don´t know.......
.....for flexi-flyers, the usual big engine motosickles of that time, they were too....so it woulda been era-correct....

But you´re right, otherwise it was....:
"....A pressed steel main frame, using the engine as a structural member, so without a cradle design no front downtubes are
necessary giving the bike a cleaner look as well reducing chassis weight. ...."

,,,,,Elegant, aerodynamic bodywork for touring versions included sleek saddlebags with integral turn signals and a low-profile top box.
Wind tunnel testing of each version was done to minimize drag and turbulence while maximizing aesthetics.
The fairing that was so carefully designed and tested made it into production for use in the Nova touring versions was used on the 1983 FXRT Sport Glide.
The distinctive shape of the Nova’s hard saddle bags found a place there, as well.
...."

Early rendering ....., screaming BMW, luckily not what made it to prototypes (one could think for copyrights, when comparing
the fairing with the Beemer..) and thus not to the FXRT...:

[/URL]

Shortly before the buy-back AMF decided to skip the Nova-bikes in favour of focussing the production towards the Evo engine instead,
and with the Gang of 13 having no Dollar for both..... we can finally be happy they kept the Blockhead but saved most of the bodywork of the Nova tourers.....

I like the Willi G. approach to keep the front clean and hide the radiator ......which was why it got Yamaha V-max gills years before the Vmax appeared....

And it had that Buell ZTL type brake rotor over a century before the Buell had one, which would have been another sweet part to transfer ......
(maybe woulda been a bit large on the 19"rims.....)

[/URL]

I don´t know what it is about the german flag on the tank, maybe it was meant as a Porsche signature on that one ... ?.....
Man, thanks for all those pictures.

joe

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,738 Posts
It's hard for me to call an item that's still sought after nearly 40 years down the road a 'fad'. How many aftermarket sources are there now who're making and selling them? 3 or 4?

joe

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
It's hard for me to call an item that's still sought after nearly 40 years down the road a 'fad'. How many aftermarket sources are there now who're making and selling them? 3 or 4?

joe
So you're saying they are only as popular now as they have ever been?
They are a mullet.

·
Registered
708 Posts
They are a mullet.
I had to look up for that term....found three similar looking fish and a (football) hair style....but i will think about it more........

How many aftermarket sources are there now who're making and selling them? 3 or 4?

joe
Spontanously i remember at least three that make them out of Carbon fiber, a few more out of glass.
In Europe I have seen two manufacturers so far.
As for different variations, I recall four.
Mounting kits that I know of are offered for Milwaukee Eight Softails and Dynas and I think baggers.

·
Registered
708 Posts
It's hard for me to call an item that's still sought after nearly 40 years down the road a 'fad'.
For that matter, I like V-Strums explanation :

All fads are passing, that's what makes them a fad.
Isn´t the status quo of it kind of a ´reverse-fad`...?........it was much disliked and often removed when it was new (with Joe beeing the exeption), then only much later it caught a wider interest

·
In disguise
2,809 Posts
......it was much disliked and often removed when it was new (with Joe beeing the exeption), then only much later it caught a wider interest.
in other words it was ahead of its’ time.

Reactions: Homesick

·
In disguise
2,809 Posts
Or back then, we were behind, and probably still are.
Heck, that goes without saying. Many years ago, a grizzled old biker told me "There's Harley. And then there's everything else. It's just what appeals to you".

To paraphrase: "What happens in the Harley world, stays in the Harley world".

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,738 Posts
For that matter, I like V-Strums explanation :

Isn´t the status quo of it kind of a ´reverse-fad`?........it was much disliked and often removed when it was new (with Joe being the exeption), then only much later it caught a wider interest
I'd bet far more were retained than were removed. It's not like guys bought the bikes and then went "Well damn! How'd that fairing get on there? Who did that?" I've known guys who removed their batwings too.

joe

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
My story. In 1986 I was stationed in Okinawa with the Air Force. At the BX was a Harley dealer with models for GI's to drool over and order for stateside delivery. One of the models was an 86 FXRS. I used to walk by that damn near everyday and sit on it, pretending I was wheeling it down the road. During that same time, I saw a Marine riding an 84 FXRT he'd brought to the island and I said "Now THAT is the scoot I REALLY want!". I never got it, but, a buddy of mine had purchased an 87 Sportster 1100, found out he didn't want it anymore and sold it to me at a discount. That was my first Harley. I sold it several years later to a German in Germany. A couple years ago I got the jones again and picked up my 87 FXRC for short money. I'm making it an FXRT. Yes, I turned 65 last year, so I'm entitled to have what I've really wanted!

Greg

41 - 53 of 53 Posts