V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a 2000 Sportster 883 that's been bumped to 1200cc. He's a diabetic and has had his toes removed and a tad more on his left foot. Due to this he decided to sell his bike. I've had it at my shop for several months and only a few bites that never came through. He's been heartbroken about the whole situation and called me the other day to see if we could possibly do a trike project out of it. After discussing it we decided to do a bolt on conversion paughco kit. It's a name brand easy to get parts for in the future if needed. We offered to help him out and build him a cool custom trike. So he's sending some cash for parts and will be ordering next week. Being a sportster with a shorter wheel base I'm thinking of a frame or fork stretch to add wheelbase and stability. Anybody have any advice as to the handling characteristics of trikes or some input on design mods. He wants to do a wood stakeside style bed stained with small deck with center cutout to retain back seat. GM rims and some nice tires about a foot wide with white letters on side walls. Right side suicide shift. It's got fat Bob tanks so that'll come in handy as well. Should give it a nice stout look. Should be an interesting project and he's all excited to see what we can do with it

Attachments

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Well if I had my druthers I would have a bigger gas tank as the trikes aerodynamics and weight reduces the milage to 30 mpg on Sunoco and 25 mpg on BP gas. I have Cooper's on the back and although I haven't put a tape on them are more than a foot wide. This allows the trike to go most anywhere off road. I have ridden across a field to talk to a friend operating a combine.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if I had my druthers I would have a bigger gas tank as the trikes aerodynamics and weight reduces the milage to 30 mpg on Sunoco and 25 mpg on BP gas. I have Cooper's on the back and although I haven't put a tape on them are more than a foot wide. This allows the trike to go most anywhere off road. I have ridden across a field to talk to a friend operating a combine.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk
It's got fat bobs on it so that's about all it can fit. Yah definitely more weight and drag.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts