V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Flash back to February 2016... My friend Jeff's bike is on the table and he has a plan on converting this 84' ironhead sportster into an old school rigid with a 4" stretch. Jeff loves to procrastinate.... So I called him with the Sawzall in my hand and told him "Dude... I'm about to cut your bike in half litaraly. Are you sure you want to do this you know you drag a$$ on projects" he told me to cut it... So we did a custom rigid teardrop style back end instead of the standard triangular rear. Lots of work we plowed right through it and got it done. He sent the motor out for some extra mods in in a few weeks it was done........ And there it sat. You won't believe who walked in the door now over three years later...... F'n Jeff.... His frame became decorative ceiling art years ago..lol. Don't expect this to go at the pace of my build but I'll start a thread in hopes it will continue....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! Should be fun and I'll be watching. FWIW, I think the "before" looked pretty good too!
Yes this will be the polar opposite of my bike. This one is all about clean open and minimalistic. Black paint and I think he wanted "black chrome" paint for the frame. We were thinking springer or girder front end.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I know a few Jeff'd lol

My vote is for a springer, never rode one with a Springer but it is my favorite old school look out of everything.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
so that motor has been sitting there for three years?

and I thought I procrastinated. :duh2:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm on the fence and ultimately it's his decision. I want to rake it just a little also, maybe 4" over forks. I love the classic look of either. I'm leaning towards the girder myself just because they aren't as common. Going with a springer seat possibly with a dampening piston also. We are making an oil tank out of 6 1/2" od aluminum pipe, he's gonna lathe up maybe clear ends on it

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so that motor has been sitting there for three years?

and I thought I procrastinated. :duh2:
LOL the motor was rebuilt heads nickel plated. He machined the right side covers open and some other things but I think the motor was assembled a year and a half ago. He dropped it off to me a last month. Knowing how Jeff is we shot some oil down the holes. Wasn't expecting to see him for a while. Then yesterday he shows up out of the blue and discusses plans....... We'll see what becomes of this..... He's an engineer so everything is over thought and usually goes nowhere. Lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts