V-Twin Forum banner

Arc Angel freak trike project

60K views 306 replies 21 participants last post by  ArcAngel 
#1 · (Edited)
Gonna start this new thread for the next build. This one may be a slow go. Im just getting it on paper and figuring a way around some issues now. For those not following my other threads this idea started with a crash and bad injury. Left leg is crap.. so going to go trike now.
Found this pic while browsing for ideas and i'm building off this concept. One major change is its going to be small block chevy powered instead of a bike engine. The forks will need to be shortened drastically as that is just way too extreme to steer. Thats more of a show bike. I want to ride mine. We have settled on 48" girder forks. Never liked the look of a radiator in front of the bike it just kills the look. So coolant will be pumped through the lower frame to the rear of bike and handled through long rectangular radiator and electric fans behind the rear axle below the cab. That will leave a nice clean look up front. I like the classic "C" cab like in the "Roth" pic below with the oval windows. So i'm grabbing ideas and things from multiple places to fit my design plans. I wound up crossing paths with some interesting people over this build already and I havent even started yet. I explain in my next post. Enjoy

Attachments

See less See more
#32 ·
Water hose necks installed. Welded a raised bump around the ends of the pipes so the hoses and clamps can't slide off under pressure, same as if they were an actual hose nipples. The second pic you can see the welded seam just to the left of the down tube is where we installed the dam to seperate hot from cold return coolant.
q

#33 ·
Using a pipe through the cam holes in the block and a plumb bob, we set the motor block position for the last time over the centerline. Checked the set back for pulley clearance in the front all looked good. Then we made the motor mounts and welded them in. When the oil pan is in it will be 1" up inside the frame rails. We are setting the chassis ground clearance at 8" so if the trike ever bottoms out a steep driveway or curb the oil pan will be protected. The crankshaft centerline height is 16" from the ground. The rear axle centerline height is 13". So with preload sag and allowing room for the axle movement it is as low as we could go. General center of gravity should work out about 20" this thing should corner hard with no issues at all.

Attachments

#35 ·
So for the most part the lower engine cradle is finished. We added some tube bracing and finished the outer down tubes as well. This will be a very solid frame. Set the rear transmission support in the rear of the frame as well. We'll have to wait till we have the trans here to make a standoff structure to set it at its proper height for the new mount. So the motor and trans will be sitting on all urethane mounts. Next we are going to start framing out the firewall and dash section. We also have to finish the cow catcher chin spoiler. Im happy to see so much progress being made.

Attachments

#36 ·
The new fork neck came in yesterday so we set the frame on the table. We put 8" standoff under each corner of the frame so it sits at its actual ride height. We coped the neck into the frame. After laying it out we have it set to 42° but we still have get it more accurately figured out. The girder isn't like figuring out for a standard front end. Lots to contend with. The angle of the pivot arms, the offset of the lower pivots, as well as the fork length are still unknowns till they are built. You can't set up those without the neck in place so for now this is just a rough setting. We'll deal with final setting after the forks are built. I think it will wind up about 43°-44° when on the forks when finished. The height at the top of neck is about 35" right now. Should have a long but not too long stance to it.

Attachments

#37 ·
Always browsing around for ideas and styles for the build. Ran across this hotrod. I'm liking this style C cab for the trike. Love the old brass lanterns on the sides, could make those functional marker lights as well. I really like the polished stainless sheet behind wheels and the stained glass rear window is pretty unique idea.. Very Gothic look about it. Wouldn't work with any other color than black though, but its pretty badass.

Attachments

#41 ·
Thanks but I'm pretty certain someone has done something like that before. Bourgets has been using frames to store oil for a long time. The ones I've seen in pics use extra pipes to do it. I just want the look to be very minimalistic and clean. Those big hoses and extra pipes are kinda an eye sore. Figured this would allow for very short braided type hoses. I have to find a steel radiator neck and weld it on the top as its going to be the highest spot in the water system. Figure I can get a cylindrical overflow tank to go on the center down tube somewhere the system is gonna need some expansion room.

#42 ·
So running into some legality issues. I have been search for NY motorcycle inspection info and ran across what could be some snags. First rules say all motorcycles must have front brakes however the dual axles will allow for 4 wheel disk brakes and should be ridiculously adequate given the approximate weight and four huge rear tires. NY tends to be the land of no in regard to rules..I can add front brake but at its weight it would be pretty useless. No big deal on that one I guess. Next up would be because it has four wheels plus one up front it may have a registration issue of being categorized as a car..now would require seat belts and get this...air bags..lol. emissions I belive get a pass on as if its home built it doesn't need to meet federal emissions standards as a one off special construction and not built by a manufacturer. I don't have any info from DMV on this as they oddly offer none and there is no number for the inspection/investigation dept. If build it with the rear axle as a drop axle does that fix the problem? I could lose the rear axle but I love the dual look... Was planning on air bag springs on the rear axle anyway so I could controll the traction on the front axle. If I blow the bag pressure the front would have max traction if it wants to lift the front wheel that can be controlled buy adding pressure. It'll be heavy and powerful enough to pull a trailer and with the rear axle being as far back as possible itll controll the weight with no problem. This way if one of the crew breaks down on a long run we have a tow vehicle just grab a trailer from a home depot..why not, could easily carry two bikes on a trailer at its size. Also want to run saddle tanks on each side like 9.5gal each almost 20 gallons of fuel on board would give it some pretty serious range.

#45 ·
Came up with i think is a pretty nice design for the front of the frame. It'll protect it from any road debris from getting near the front pulleys and belts. Adds a cool look to the front. Not a big fan of the motor hanging out the front all exposed like I see on allot of other V8 trikes. 1" x 1/4 flat bar and sheeted out on the outside corners. One big a$$ chin spoiler lookin thingy. Having the whole bike start out with just a motor looks like to much to fast. This kinda introduces the front of the bike. Little more flow to it. Gotta little left to finish on it

Attachments

#46 · (Edited)
Well finally got at least some answers...got a hold of NYSDMV special construction unit. Apparently anything with more than three wheels cannot be registered as a motorcycle or trike. Rules state all wheels require brakes so having four wheel disc does not eliminate the front wheel brake requirement even though it won't really do much. So it will need to be registered as a passenger vehicle. Two huge bonuses to that are i will only have to renew registration every two years and.....NO HELMET! Would only require goggles cause it isn't a bike or trike. That is a huge plus! However insurance would be year round cant do just seasonal. But I fucking hate a helmet..seat belts also required but just lap belts. No air bags as I don't have to comply with federal manufacturer standards.

#52 ·
I was thinking of powder coating the frame when done. Paint is cool but scratching and chipping is a pain. I don't want it too loud as I'm probably going to keep it a dark looking build overall. I still want to go metalflake on the cab but i think either prismatic black flake not too heavy on the prismatic or black with a purple color shift flake.. the color shift would look black but in the sun has purple flake in it. The flake is clear until it lights up so it'll look very black in the shade. The prismatic has some visible flake in it. But for the frame I found a two step prismatic powder I like called "dragons blood". Just enough pop in the sun but wild look too it. Still pondering colors for the build

Attachments

#53 ·
Got back to the project today. Made the structural firewall about 3" behind the engine block. This 2x2 sqare tube frame will catch the top frame tubes going to the neck and box out the engine section. At a lower height the transmission tunnel will atatch to this frame and act as the structural link to the rear section as well as the floor beams. This will stiffen the entire frame. The thinner square tube is framing out the dash. This design allows the driver to be completely behind the firewall and on
a bench seat with the driver sitting center straddling the trans tunnel. I think im gonna make it high enough to sink the shifter into it flush mount style in the top center. Gas pedal on right side brake on the left side of the tunnel. The gages will be above this structure in a carved top that will bolt down to this structure. Next round of steel going in will make more sense of what's here. The cab will 42" wide. It starts getting wider tapering out from the fire wall back.

Attachments

#57 ·
Firewall and dashboard similar to this. Mine has to be a tad higher and structural to catch the upper frame tubes going forward. The tubes that make the trans tunnel will be structural as well. Obviously I don't have a car chassis so it will addapted to work for this frame. The pic may help show where this is heading

Attachments

#62 ·
Nice! I've only seen it in pictures. Trying to avoid black wanted a little color but not loud. This build is gonna be big
Forgive me if you already said this, but what engine are you using? Small block Chevy? I was just think how cool a flathead Ford engine would look.
Chevy 350. Found a 96 L31 engine 4 bolt main and vortech heads. Getting some head mods for .500 lift cam. Should pull 375-400hp