V-Twin Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Forgive me if you already said this, but what engine are you using? Small block Chevy? I was just think how cool a flathead Ford engine would look.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Loving this build more than the last one. That dragon blood is pretty awesome in person with the sun on it.....shot it many times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice! I've only seen it in pictures. Trying to avoid black wanted a little color but not loud. This build is gonna be big
Forgive me if you already said this, but what engine are you using? Small block Chevy? I was just think how cool a flathead Ford engine would look.
Chevy 350. Found a 96 L31 engine 4 bolt main and vortech heads. Getting some head mods for .500 lift cam. Should pull 375-400hp

·
Registered
12,012 Posts
Yucko

I can see why Arc doesn't want a radiator that is plug ugly and a chrome front fender is the 80's style. Other than that it isn't bad. I wouldn't buy it just because of the radiator. Messes up the whole look.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Yucko

Lol...what were they thinking....Thats a Cobra trike a popular kit I've seen them all over the internet. Then looks like they must have had
the horrible idea to weld the nose of a VW to it...ughhh
I can see why Arc doesn't want a radiator that is plug ugly and a chrome front fender is the 80's style. Other than that it isn't bad. I wouldn't buy it just because of the radiator. Messes up the whole look.

It makes the fist part of the bike you see look hideous. Just a boxy, big a$$, no flow looking brick wall.....thats why I'm putting cow catcher looking grill. It just kinda introduces your eyes to the look of it.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Picked up what should be enough to finish the rear of the frame. Using 2"x4" box tube for rear chassis. It needs to be strong to hold two axles bouncing around and all that tourqe from the v8. Gonna set the front axle up on a four link suspension with coilover shocks and the rear axle on air assist springs. I'll be able to controll traction on the front axle this way. I can also stiffen up the rear for towing also.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Had a little slow down due to a design change. Due to the overall size of the build we decided to go from 42" wide on the cab to a full 48" wide outside to outside. This doesn't seem major but it is. The problem being the rear end width. I found at least the main drive axle solution. Located a '65-'70 B body 12 bolt rear that is 62.5" wide thats already had a disc brake conversion. He says it not a posi rear but I have a suspicion it is. It came out of a big block 4 speed impala. That would most definitely had a posi rear.. It may just be that the diff clutches are burned out. So it's acting like a non posi rear. I'll find out tomorrow as I'm going to pick it up. If not I can just change the diff in it anyway. But a 12 bolt posi is absolutely my preferred choice of rear for this project. The hard part will be finding another one to match for the second axle. But I'll find one. But figuring if I'm running 15x10 rims with a four inch backspacing with a tire on it thats about 4.5" deep.
So both wheels together thats 9" plus the body at 48" now we are at 57. That leaves a balance of 5.5 add the disc brake thickness we are at 6". So there will be 3" tire to body clearance on each side should be just enough. She's gonna wind up 6'5" wide outside to outside. Thats pretty wide but more than doable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I definitely don't want to narrow it. The reason is the body. This is why you never see a pickup truck that can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood laying flat between the wheel wells. Remember im running a 4 link suspension not leaf springs so there will be more movement. The 3 inches i have left on each side is just about right so the tires won't rub. Had I stayed 42" would have many more rear end choices. The cab is so much nicer at 48" plus I can get a bolt down Corbeau seat that'll fit perfectly.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I figured you had your reasons for wanting the width.

You: "This is why you never see a pickup truck that can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood laying flat between the wheel wells."
Me: Whaaa?!... That's not right.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I figured you had your reasons for wanting the width.

You: "This is why you never see a pickup truck that can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood laying flat between the wheel wells."
Me: Whaaa?!... That's not right.
I'm sure some can but it always sat up on the one side..maybe a full size trucks do but those axles aren't the ones I need. As far as car axles go 62.5 is wide

·
Registered
12,012 Posts
I'm sure some can but it always sat up on the one side..maybe a full size trucks do but those axles aren't the ones I need. As far as car axles go 62.5 is wide
You didn't jump up and down on the plywood enough.lol

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
So I picked up the rear. It was indeed a passenger car rear not the truck rear. Has a "Right Stuff" disk brake kit installed 450.00 available through jegs or summit. Also has E brake provision. He also had the panhard bar. It turned out it was not a posi unit but I planned on installing new diff anyway and possible gear ratio change. Havent done the math on that yet but 3:31-3:42 gears should be about right given the weight of the build and power. The only part im not thrilled with is trying to find a matching axle...12 bolts are harder to find and this width as well plus this was a steal.. they aint that cheap nowadays. May have to either drop the second axle plan and run side fuel tanks or use a trailer axle for rear with electric brakes. Wasnt looking to go that route but if I do I think I want to make it a drop axle on bags. Or try to find a match to this one witch won't be easy either. Still cooking ideas..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
IMHO you should go with a single rear axle.
I feel like the dual rear axle set-up would make it harder to steer around corners. Maybe it would want to track straight?
I don't know, I've never tried one, just guessing.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
You got talent.
Thank you. Im glad your enjoying the build.
IMHO you should go with a single rear axle.
I feel like the dual rear axle set-up would make it harder to steer around corners. Maybe it would want to track straight?
I don't know, I've never tried one, just guessing.
funny you brought that up. Here's the reality of the breakdown on pros and cons

Pros ...Dual axles would look insane!
Cab would be huge 48"x73" by 40" tall.
Highest tow capacity ( however when am I going to need that. Only if one of the crew breaks down).
Cons......added weight, between linkage to axle,axle itself,two rims, two tires probably almost 300 lbs. Although it would turn it would have slower and sluggish response in turns. Would have to run fuel tank inside cab costing bed space. It makes it BIG from tip to tail we would be about 16.5'-17' long. Cost sucks between rear, rims, tires disc brake kit, and rebuild adding the second axle is over 3k to reduce performance. Wasted HP from drag.

As much as I really hate to admit it the second axle is not the best idea. Looks and cool factor is really all its for. I was discussing all this last night with several knowledgeable people. Im going to wind up ditching the second axle, moving it further back and running side fuel tanks in front of tires. That also makes the now shorter cab more roomy.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts