V-Twin Forum banner
181 - 200 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It will be so cool. I can't wait to see it with the forks installed.
Me too.
Put individually controlled, non-linked, rear brakes on it so it can corner while doing wheelies.
Maybe 2 rear brake pedals that could be linked with a metal bar like on a tractor. But I don't even know if that's road legal.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
It looks like this is going to be a solo ride. Doesn't look like there is enough room for somebody on either side of you stradling the emergency brake console. Back behind the roll bar, is that going to be seating arrangement? Rear door?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Yes believe it or not two people can sit next to each other in the seat. My girl is probably the only one who will be most of the time and she is very tiny just under 100lbs. But if I slide all the way to the left side even my son who's 6' 180 can fit it will eventually have a little running board right by the entrance to keep his foot on. My leg does have to stay on the other side of the tunnel. It looks tighter than it is. Just enough room though. Literally 90% im solo, with girl 8% the other 2% so I wasn't worried about it. Yes solo its nice and roomy for sure. Yes the c cab will have a rear door opening upward on gas charged pistons and all the space behind the roll bar will be dry storage. The speakers will be mounted in the little side triangles at top of roll bar so only the center of the wall will be open to look behind me. Probably going to do a lage tinted lexan window on rear door as well. The roof will come out to cover the dash above also

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 · (Edited)
I had made mention of this earlier in the thread but now it is time.. just to recap ...

So back before we started even building the trike I was looking for a girder forks for the front end. I wound up contacting Paul Durfee of "Durfee's Girders" they made the best girder front ends ever built since before I was born. His girders have graced the front ends many of custom builds from the most famous bike builders in the business world wide. He is well known in the custom bike world.. So we made phone contact and started talking about my build. Although Paul has since retired he graciously agreed to help with the project any way he could so a $hit ton of emails and phone calls later I had a plan. We originally made a first set as a test run and quickly figured out it would be best to build the bike first.
We started the trike build in mid December. Now now 5 months into the build we are ready to design the front end. So I sent Paul some pics of the progress a few times but back then it didn't look like much now he can clearly see where we are going with this. So after viewing the last video and pics he sends me this email. Coming from this guy this was a high honor for me personally to get his nod of approval. This guy has seen it all.
So Paul's part will now begin on the build and help guide us along the way as we build it. He has a wealth of info from metallurgy through engineering and fab. I'm very appreciative to have him in on this part.
Thank you Paul for your help. Let the building begin ...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
We set the trike in the garage bay and measured the height of each rear corner to be sure it was sitting dead level in the rear. Then we hung a plumb Bob off the exact center of the front and rear frame and marked the floor with a sharpie marker. We then set the laser up and shot it across those marks. This gave us a dead center and straight line to set the final rake angel on the neck and everything is literally laser straight. Marked the center of the front wheel added 3" inches of positive trail and used another laser to aim the neck and welded in place. So in the end we set it so the trike will be a even 16' long from front to back. Next we fired up the 3D printer and we are designing prototype neck trees for the custom girder forks this way we can figure all the geometry and linkage out without burning up machining cost. The 3D printer is an awesome tool for prototyping parts.

·
Registered
17,690 Posts
Next we fired up the 3D printer and we are designing prototype neck trees for the custom girder forks this way we can figure all the geometry and linkage out without burning up machining cost.
Kind of takes some of the fun out of it.

Joking! LOL!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Kind of takes some of the fun out of it.

Joking! LOL!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
This new stuff is pretty cool. My son is the computer guy. I would've had some 1" plate, a blowtorch and a few big hammers ......seems thats how I usually roll....lol

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
We cut the neck loose and reset it at its final angle of 52° rake. The forks will be slightly less rake to pull the wheel behind that mark giving us 3" of trail. So the actual fork rake should wind up around a 50° rake angle. The trees were made on the 3D printer and rough checked. Now the templates are at the water jetter getting cut out of 1" steel plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Gonna start this new thread for the next build. This one may be a slow go. Im just getting it on paper and figuring a way around some issues now. For those not following my other threads this idea started with a crash and bad injury. Left leg is crap.. so going to go trike now.
Found this pic while browsing for ideas and i'm building off this concept. One major change is its going to be small block chevy powered instead of a bike engine. The forks will need to be shortened drastically as that is just way too extreme to steer. Thats more of a show bike. I want to ride mine. We have settled on 48" girder forks. Never liked the look of a radiator in front of the bike it just kills the look. So coolant will be pumped through the lower frame to the rear of bike and handled through long rectangular radiator and electric fans behind the rear axle below the cab. That will leave a nice clean look up front. I like the classic "C" cab like in the "Roth" pic below with the oval windows. So i'm grabbing ideas and things from multiple places to fit my design plans. I wound up crossing paths with some interesting people over this build already and I havent even started yet. I explain in my next post. Enjoy
Arch baby , gotta pass on that 60’s eat fink looking ****

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Now that the final neck rake was set we finished off the upper frame tubes and tied them from the firewall to the neck. Next will be some steel plating to strengthen the neck area. The vertical pieces in front of the motor mounts are just temporary welding braces they will get removed after all the welding is complete. There is just enough room between the upper pipes to top load the engine in from above.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·

All good, but i like the old school stuff. I'm not a fan of most new bikes. Everything looks the same....boring....imagine going to Sturgis. You walk out of bar after a few too many and you have to find your bike. But its a black street glide.........good f'ing luck......lol

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
All good, but i like the old school stuff. I'm not a fan of most new bikes. Everything looks the same....boring....imagine going to Sturgis. You walk out of bar after a few too many and you have to find your bike. But its a black street glide.........good f'ing luck......lol[

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Finished bracing up the neck. Instead of ugly plating covering it all up we just triangulated the frame like a truss. Keeps more open and less bulky looking. Doesn't draw your eyes away from the the grill. Shane's welds are sick...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
What a great project. I think you are doing a wonderful job and Shane's welds look top notch.
Are you even a little concerned that the rake is maybe a little over the top? What about the stress load at the neck? Just asking...

181 - 200 of 231 Posts