V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gonna start this new thread for the next build. This one may be a slow go. Im just getting it on paper and figuring a way around some issues now. For those not following my other threads this idea started with a crash and bad injury. Left leg is crap.. so going to go trike now.
Found this pic while browsing for ideas and i'm building off this concept. One major change is its going to be small block chevy powered instead of a bike engine. The forks will need to be shortened drastically as that is just way too extreme to steer. Thats more of a show bike. I want to ride mine. We have settled on 48" girder forks. Never liked the look of a radiator in front of the bike it just kills the look. So coolant will be pumped through the lower frame to the rear of bike and handled through long rectangular radiator and electric fans behind the rear axle below the cab. That will leave a nice clean look up front. I like the classic "C" cab like in the "Roth" pic below with the oval windows. So i'm grabbing ideas and things from multiple places to fit my design plans. I wound up crossing paths with some interesting people over this build already and I havent even started yet. I explain in my next post. Enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So now that we know what type and length of front end we need the quest was on to find one. Scoured the internet for a good high quality 48" girder and put a call into Durfees to get a price. Nothing turned up.. I got a call back from Paul Durfee himself today. These guys are the top of the field in girder front ends since before i was even born. He informed me that he is no longer making girder front ends sadly. He turned out to be one of the coolest people you'd ever want to talk to. He told me all about his dad and the backstory of his dad and him and their company. He offered to help with the design and build of my front end as now this has become a fabrication project instead of a purchase. He knows all the math and offered all his help to make this happen. We spoke for quite a while and have been emailing each other all day me asking questions and him providing answers. Love the experience of building with all the interesting people you wind up meeting
Here I thought I was buying one and now Paul Durfee himself is part of the project now....how cool is that!! This gonna be the most fun build yet. So as we are talking he said in the early seventies he had a guy building a v8 trike and he built a 48" girder for him. He told me to hold on a few went and dug up a picture of the bike so I could see what it looked like at that exact rake and length, it was exactly what i wanted so our calculation on length was spot on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a donor for you.

How can he not have wheelie bars on that?..... lol. There won't be a doner on this one. We are fabricating everything..... been eyeing a 365hp small block chevy crate motor and an aftermarket turbo 350 trans from Summit racing. At around $5,500.00 for both with shipping still quite a bit less then what the S&S 124" cost and that didn't come with a trans.....

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had to call all over the place trying to locate 4130 alloy chromoly tubing. Hard to find in stock. Needed two four footers that make the front legs those wont be bent and two six footers that will be bent and cut down to fit for the rear legs. Paul Durfee said believe it or not 7/8 x .120 would be strong enough even with the V8. He even sent me a pic of one of this later one custom ordered in 1 1/2" tube and it's nice. I opted for in the middle and got 1 1/8" x .120 this way it'll super strong and still looks thin. At the length, the V8, and NY roads i figured it was the best bet. 4130 ain't cheep either, for the four pieces I got quoted between 240 to 535....obviously I got it for 240. Thats allot higher than DOM tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another big score for the project today. I had put the word out that I was looking for any good small block deals figured like when I was younger just about everybody had one in their garage. Not anymore....we old....so i got a call from a guy I used to work with said his friend had a four bolt main late 90's for a hundred bucks! So I went immediately to go check it out. Sure enough it was a four bolt main block with heads, crank, rods, and pistons in it. No intake or oil pan. Take it back to our shop run the numbers and yep...Vortec heads 64cc chambers......SCORE!. Some minor head mods so it will take a .500 lift cam and some flat top pistons should yield 9.5 :1 compression. Easily achieving from 350hp to just over 400hp depending on cam choice. dropped it right off at the machine shop. Getting it torn down cleaned and inspected. If all looks good they'll get started building.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
100 bucks! That's amazing. You scored real good.
Yah, thats the exact gold nugget find in a junk yard. Best flowing heads ever made by GM and the four bolt main because he said it was in passenger van. I had my hopes up sure enough it's the combo everybody's looking for.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I always loved the old wild 70's retro trikes so now would be a wise time to hang up the nitrous and hot two wheelers and build one. So I busted out the graph paper and laid out the new build based on the the pic earlier in the thread with the obvious changes of adding the v8 and the shorter girder front end we are about to build. A classic "C" cab style. Driver sits in the cab with legs behind a firewall just behind the motor. So it'll have room for a dash and gauges. It comes in at 15' long and can fit in our enclosed trailer if needed. Take for granted this is a rough draft sketch but it is to scale. Changes may be made but this is the basic design.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Cool design, but with five wheels is it still a "trike"? lol

Glad to see you're going to be fabricating again.

Reactions: ArcAngel

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure they have a word for it.....lol thats why its the Freak trike....."cinco" cycle doesn't sound cool enough....

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is a freak trike.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk
Wow a classic cbx 6 cylinder. Just when you thought those now banned off road three wheelers couldn't get anymore dangerous...that is nuts...a sick mind built that..lol

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
arcangel,,,, i have to ask what engine are you thinking of using for the trike?
I found a 1996 chevy 350 four bolt main with Vortec heads. Minor head mods and a .500 lift cam it'll make in the area of 365-410hp depending on cam. Turbo 350 trans so itll have reverse as well. Only the front axle will be powered. The rear axle set up as a trailing axle using a Ford 8.8" rear for both. They will be slightly narrowed. 4 wheel disc setup. Set up on four link suspension. Rear axle should act like wheelie bar to keep the nose down and help keep it tracking straight when the front axle lets loose. Should work out.....

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
that is about what i was thinking honestly,,, its more than you need,, but if you cant have that,,, why bother ?? lol. it will have a nice sizzle rather than lope sound...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts