V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sitting and Counting
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, my 03 FLSTFI is stock with stage 1 remap, SE aircleaner and V&H Bigshot longs.

The bike is my commuter and I love it... rain or shine...

Thinking that when I perform (or have someone else perform) the 50K service, that a 95" upgrade is in order... I bought the bike with the 7 year extended warranty, so I'm good till 2009... (If I let the stealer do the work)

Daily rider, sometimes 2up, but primarily solo.. looking for a little more "oomph" than the 88" offers...

Suggestions for cams, etc?

TIA,

Rob

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Sort of same boat I am in. Dailly ride to work, with a couple 2-3k trips. Got FLHR 34k. Looking at 95". Would do heads if I have the money. Going gear, to just forget about it. That comes with a price though.
26G, lots of guys go 37G cams.

I got inner priamry off right now. If I had 50k and had it off may consider belt swap but I am a worry wort. But you shouldn't have t take it off anyways.

I would bet, at 50k everything looks good. Inspect tenioner shoes. Wild card.

·
Sitting and Counting
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input...

I've read a lot about gear driven cams vs chain, and it seems logical to do so... less worry about failure...

I'd rather not touch the heads, unless I needed to... but since they ARE gonna be off, the temptation is really great...

The money I've saved on gas (as compared to my Silverado) will about pay for the planned upgrades...

I've been running AMSOIL since 500 miles.. havent looked back since...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would pop some S.E 95- Cast Flat tops in there Gives you new rings and not alot of extra strain on you 50k bottom end, High compression could
kill your rods quicker.-2$en#e-

·
Sitting and Counting
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DanNZ said:
I would pop some S.E 95- Cast Flat tops in there Gives you new rings and not alot of extra strain on you 50k bottom end, High compression could
kill your rods quicker.-2$en#e-
DanNZ, Thanks for your input.

My Wife's '00 FXDL has high comp 95's and is fine for an occaisional weekend ride, but not for the daily commute I do... so I agree.

Still not sure on cams... but I need to see the dealer about what they will warranty work on, and what they wont...

·
Sitting and Counting
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

The bike is now just shy of 57K, and the cam chain tensioners were making noise, so I took it in to the dealer. No warranty for tensioners... and same labor charge if I added new cams (Brainless choice)

Adjustable pushrods

Locally ported stock heads

251 Cams (at dealer suggestion)

Fueler.

And whaterthefrick they needed to complete the job.

I took the bike in LAST Wednesday, with a verbal promise of a week tops, but very possibly sooner.

Anyhow, the week has now passed, but I did stop by, and the wrench and the service manager told me "you need to see this"... NOW WHAT?..

Aparrently the rear tensioner was indeed toast... (down to the metal)

Rear inner cam bearing was bad, and was cutting into the riding surface of the cam (no matter as they were coming out already)

small end con rod bushings had rotated in the hole, blocking the oiling for the wrist pin... (moved freely however)

Heads were pretty clean, and the cylinders were still nice... though slightly glazed... crosshatch still very visible.

All in all, I had good timing... it was basically a grenade waiting to go off.

I should have her back tomorrow....

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Hi.
I have a quick question.

Is this the first time the cam chest has ben open?

Have you had it inspected before?

How many times and or at what Mileage?

Inquiring minds wanna know.....:corn:

·
Sitting and Counting
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was a Virgin until the dealer opened it up.

No previous noises until the rattle...

At least I didnt blow the damn thing up...

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you have *any* damage in the engine from the tensioners the extended warranty is supposed to cover the work over and above the inspection charge. At least, that's what my service reps have told me.

·
Sitting and Counting
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmmm... better go read my service contract again...

only used it once in 4 years...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Gear drive cams would be nice, but since you've got the warranty, that probably puts the kibosh on that idea. SE 203's work nicely with the stock 88 and may give you just the oopmh you're looking for. They're not too expensive; the dealer could do the work; and your warranty remains intact.

Ragnar

·
Sitting and Counting
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rangar, I went and did it all since it was apart...

HC 95" , Ported Stock heads, valves, springs, 251 Cams, pushrods, Fueler and whatever else is on the list.

I havent forgotten to press the comp releases yet...

·
Sitting and Counting
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should also mention I got it back Friday...

AFTER the final drive belt broke during the test run.... (whoops)

They stayed late to finish which I appreciated... much props to them...

·
Sitting and Counting
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well... heres an update to a 3 year old thread.

Bike now has 65K on it... the bike is extremely fun to ride, but leaving the home at 5am wasnt to neighbor friendly.

January 2008 I purchsed a 105th Anniversary Street Glide.... put 20K on that in a year then in February 2009 took delivery of my FLTRSE3. That bike now has 18K on it.

Only one problem.... upkeep of 3 bikes gets expensive!

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Well... heres an update to a 3 year old thread.

Bike now has 65K on it... the bike is extremely fun to ride, but leaving the home at 5am wasnt to neighbor friendly.

January 2008 I purchsed a 105th Anniversary Street Glide.... put 20K on that in a year then in February 2009 took delivery of my FLTRSE3. That bike now has 18K on it.

Only one problem.... upkeep of 3 bikes gets expensive!
you can give me 2 :):clap:

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
How's the insurance rate on multiple bikes?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
There is no breaks on multiple bikes, that I have seen, like cars. But you may get 10% if you multiple vehicles being insured or your house.

But I have also seen bike insurance varies so much for company to company, even agent, it may not be worth it having them all at the same place. I got my house at one place and vehicles other.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
gotta be some kinda break you can only ride one at a time

·
Sitting and Counting
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wish there was... The wife has 2 I have 1 and no breaks on price.

not too bad though... a little under $1300/year for the 3 bikes with full coverage (Collision, Comp, Liability + Extra for the add-ons)

My FLTRSE3 is my daily driver... this affects my insurance rates on my cars... as the cars are less than 1K per year miles travelled.

Funny how th einsurance always asks which is my primary car... I dont have one. "What do you do when it snows?" Hello dumbass, I'm in Hawaii!

Well then, what do you do when it rains? (Get wet of course!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts