V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made the decision finally to put a set of apes on my lowrider - going to go either 16 or 18.

My question is regarding cables - where is the best place to get them? I know I am going to need to be at least 14" or more over stock on the clutch, front brake and throttle cables but I really don't want to spend several hundred dollars on cables - the stock black is fine with me.

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
Its gonna cost you at least 100 bucks to extend all of them no matter who you go through.
Barnett Cables
are high quality and relatively inexpensive. You should be able to find a local dealer through their website. As far a measureing, get the apes first, test fit, then use string to estimate. Use the string to see how much over stock you will need. 14'' over stock sounds a little excessive to me. I would think it would be in the +6-10'' range. Oh and dont forget to upgrade your bushings, the stock ones really suck with the extra leverage from the apes

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reminder about the bushings - and I'm definately waiting to get the bars mounted before determining cable length. Probably be a month or so but I'll post pics when I get it done

·
Registered
13 Posts
LMM said:
Made the decision finally to put a set of apes on my lowrider - going to go either 16 or 18.

My question is regarding cables - where is the best place to get them? I know I am going to need to be at least 14" or more over stock on the clutch, front brake and throttle cables but I really don't want to spend several hundred dollars on cables - the stock black is fine with me.
I am in the process of doing this to my FXD. I am putting the mini apes from the Street Bob on. The most high priced item for the change over was the front brake line excluding the new grips.

Bars.....$57.00
Throttle...$22.00
Idle.......$22.00
Clutch......$35.50
Brake Line....$76.00

All Parts From the Dealer

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to go more than just +6 for the cables - I'm going from the stock fxdl bars (3.75" rise) to either 16" or 18" rise - does Harley offer anything more than 6+ on any cables?

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
no harley doesn't offer anything over 6 inches over. If you are dealing with the dealer i would tell them to look up a wide glide. You may only need 4-6 over a wide glide setup. They will tell you " oh man 14 over, never heard of it, it must be custom made, take 6 weeks"...yes it happened to me. Make sure to lube the clutch cable well also...

·
Registered
16 Posts
apes

Went with l6" on my SG, and I think that's about the limit. 18s seemed to be high enough to throw my balance off in turns.
I left the clutch and brake exposed and went with Barnett braided at 12" over. The exposed cables give me the look I wanted, and 12s have plenty of play to lock to lock in turns (as if I could, lol). Went braided because they already had them made up, and I think they needed the extra protection
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys - I went ahead and ordered a set of 1 1/4" 16's, wiring extension and poly bushings.

As soon as the bars get here I'll mount them up and measure for cables - gonna do my best to stay under $100 for brake, clutch, throttle and idle cable although I know that's gonna be tough.

I'll post pics once it's all done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Measuring Cables

The Dealer actually has a great tool they can mock up to measure cable lengths for you, i dont see why any parts department wouldnt offer you the help to get your buisness. The mock up cables in this kit are marked and numbered every inch so you can get the right fit. Its not always the best to use a piece of string or something that isn't as stuff and fat as a regular cable, plus you want to route the way its supposed to be routed through from and handlebars so its right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.