V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Super Glide originally equipped with those damn buckhorn bars--I have tried the MOCO "mini-apes" which are an easy bolt-on install, but only look so-so IMHO. My biggest reservation in installing something taller is the need for extending the switch wiring, it might be over my head---I have been told there is extra wiring tucked under the tank which can be cut loose and extended, a "service loop"----can anybody shed a little light on thsi?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rpbrock said:
There is extra wiring down low where the wiring harness goes to the fuse box. Their is more than enough. Use one hand to pull on the harness where it exits under the tank and use the other hand to push the extra up into the backbone. take it slow. From what I remember there is at least 6-8 inchs down in the pit where the fuse panel and battery are.

NOTE: At the top of the backbone, the harness exits the left side of the frame. There is a rubber plug on the left side that is held on by a nylon zip tie. Cut the zip tie, remove the plug then pull.

This is a really easy job but time consuming. GET A SERVICE MANUAL if you don't already have one or you may find yourself in a bad situation.

Don't cut the wires and extend, do it the right way to avoid dicking up the harness and you'll have a troublefree electrical system.
thanks, rpbrock, do I need to pull the tank to do this, it would be great if that wasn't necessary--------

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rpbrock said:
One other thing... I'm almost certain you'll have the extra wiring loop because all of the connectors from the front of the bike (lights, switches, etc) plug in to the harness about 4-6 inches inside the front opening of the backbone behind the neck of the frame. Let me know when you find out... I'm curious.
thanks again, I'm kind of just in the planning stages for next bike mods at this point, a little cool to be working in an unheated garage here in Minnesota right now, but will post with an update later------------------

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TXCHOP said:
rpbrock is right about the wiring,there is room to work there. You probably have to change the cables as welll...I am just making sure you know so you don't figure it out midway. By any slim chnace the wiring doesn't work, drag specialties make new wiring harness. They come very long and alls you have to do is crimp the ends on. I have used them for apes up to 18 inches and they worked out great. They are a little pricey though, 125.00 or so......hope this helps....
many thanks, Txchop---will keep it in mind----

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.