V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody put ape hangers on a softail standard?
If yes what rise did you go for and is it comfortable?
I have seen a set of 14" rise ape hangers today and they would look very aggressive on the bike.
The guy at the shop says that in view of the fact that I am 6'4" the hangers should be okay for me.
I am sort of inclined to give it a shot although it looks obvious that there will be some mayor rewiring job to be done.
I would not want to go all the way for something that would then drain the blood off my hands after 5 minutes riding.

Thanks for any advice.
Ciao

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I dont have a Softail, I ride a WideGlide, but, I'm only 5'7" and my bike has 16" apes on it. I have no problem with it at all and I love the way it looks with the apes. I go on some pretty long rides and have yet to encounter any reason to regret them. You're right about the wiring but it's a good opportunity to add some braided lines and stuff. Good luck, you're bike will look great I'm sure. Don't forget to post some pics....:)

Tony:cool:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. I would like some 12" apes on my Fat Boy. I like the look and think I will like the ride. Some have said you lose some control and others that your hands go numb.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I have 12" Apes on my 95 heritage, Kept all the stock cables! Now I am swapping the stock Riser to a 4 1/2" riser and will change cables now. Would I do it again? HELL YEA! I love it, the looks, the way it rides everything!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ape Hangers Rock!

I just love the feel of being the "Human Sail" riding down the road with a strong wind coming at you or from the side, not to mention to looks you get from the honey's :D

LOL

bug

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Fat Boy Al said:
Some have said you lose some control and others that your hands go numb.
Never had this to happen and I am 5'8". Got 20"s on mine with 6" risers. Ride long distance too with no problems.

Check this thread to see me in action.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Jokeyshift.

Your sled looks great with those 20" Apes!

Digging on your hand jammer setup! My next build will have a hand jammer setup! :D

rubber side down.

bug

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 18's on my 03 fxsti. The risers are extremely stubby, 1/2 inch maybe. I was gonna go with 16's, but the guy at the shop ordered the 16 and 18, I itried them both and told him to go with the 18's. Never looked back, extremely comfortable.
o64

·
Registered
175 Posts
Got 16's on my Wide Glide

Love em, best purchase yet. Very comfortable, actually improve handeling, manuvering. Just like gunslinger said, good time to upgrade cables, etc.
Check out my gallery for pics.
Doug

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have Chubby Apes and I'd recommend them. I like the dimensions and fit. There is no way I could have used the stock cables or wiring but that's on a Fatboy.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have 2" risers and 12" mini apes. With this setup I did not have to replace any wiring or cables. I did have to striaghten out the front brake line from the lever to the trees by hand. Take your time and no problem. Anthing more than this in bar hieght and you will have to replace lines. I like the look of 15"ers but to cheap to change out.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Apes are the way to go. I've got 16" on my heritage. I am about 5'9", with my lepera solo and my bike lowered about 1.5" my hands end up being a little bit above my shoulders. The ride is very comfortable, I've never had my hands go numb. I like being able to hold my hands up and lean back. I went ahead and changed out all of my cables to stainless, I went with +8" all around, probably could of went +6. Here are a couple of pics:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've got 16" on my Fatboy. I am about 5'10", with my lepera solo. My hands end up being a little bit above my shoulders. The ride is very comfortable, I've never had my numb hands. They diffently make any bike stand out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts