V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just blogged on how I dealt with the "flying squirrel" effect in using ape hangers but it was an expensive and time consuming process to finally get things to fit right without feeling like I was being blown off of the bike. I am curious to see what you guys have done to combat the wind or even if the wind was a problem for you.

http://gypsydroppings.blogspot.com/2011/09/ape-hangers-how-to-combat-flying.html

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
Deal with it?!?!

I thought that was to whole idea with apes, make you feel like you are soaring threw the air.
up Up and AWAY....
you just need a cape.
and some tights.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
I deal with it by not having those goofy looking ape bars.

Reactions: Jeffytune

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agree 100%......form over function...? ........Blah.....
I don't know anyone who rides a cruiser...especially a Harley that doesn't care at least somewhat about how the bike looks over "function". Otherwise you'd be on a metric sport or sport touring bike which is pretty much 100% function. Form matters.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Drag Bars here

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
I don't know anyone who rides a cruiser...especially a Harley that doesn't care at least somewhat about how the bike looks over "function". Otherwise you'd be on a metric sport or sport touring bike which is pretty much 100% function. Form matters.
I'm guessing you don't know that many people, and the ones you do know is because you all think alike.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I read the blog and enjoyed it. I'm looking into a set of 12 or 14" Burly narrow apes when I get back from Afghanistan and am going to use the coat hanger trick before I leave or maybe even mock up a set out of conduit so I know which height is going to be comfortable to me.

As for the rest of you with negative comments, what kind of oil do you guys run?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I do not wear a vest and when I wear a jacket, I make sure it is zipped up all of the way. I've never had a problem with this "flying squirrel" nonsense.

·
Registered
968 Posts
"how the bike looks over 'function'...."
Looks....as in color schemes, wrinkle vs. gloss, or tassels etc., etc.?
Or, looks....as in major engineered components like handlebars, front forks.....etc.
Ever seen 'apes' on a Buell?
First sentence in your above quote tells me all I need to know.....happy trails:)

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Foos I think the bars that WideOne has on his bike in post #2 look good. Anything higher than that is too much for me.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
IMHO, Anything that is above shoulder level was put on for looks and not comfort.

Personally I am tired of all the assumptions that my bars would be uncomfortable. I put them on due to cramps and I am now cramp free on long rides. My arms are even and cut through the wind just fine. No pulling up or pushing down from the wind.

rkc

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Don, those look like 10" or 12" apes on WO's bike, but I'm not certain. I'm going to mock up a set out of conduit this weekend to see what I like as far as arm position. My hands go numb on my drag bars on long trips so I'd like to change the bars out. Since my drag bars are already at an 8" rise, another 4-6" won't be a drastic change, but might be enough to alleviate a little strain.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Apes can be very comfortable if they are the right height. I have 12 in apes on my Heritage and can ride that bike all day in comfort.

The difference between my Heritage and the bikes the guy in the blog is talking about is i run a windshield. You will get fatigue from the wind on any bike running 70 mph without a windshield no matter what kind of bars you have.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts