V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All
Just agreed to a price for an 01 Dyna WG with 32K on it. I'll be picking her up on Mon. if she passes muster.
Anything I should be checking out as I give her the inspection. Any known trouble areas? Stuff like that.
Any tips you all could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Dave

·
Registered
673 Posts
Ride it hard so you can identify issues before the 30 day warranty is up (that is assuming you're getting it from a dealer).

Issues: depends and how it was ridden and maintained. If it's been sitting a while, there may be some carb issues and other small stuff from not being ridden. Dealer will take care of it as long as you ride it enough to find the problems.

I just got a 2000 Sporty and had only minor problems like above. All of it was fixed and now it is good to go.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ride it hard so you can identify issues before the 30 day warranty is up (that is assuming you're getting it from a dealer).

Issues: depends and how it was ridden and maintained. If it's been sitting a while, there may be some carb issues and other small stuff from not being ridden. Dealer will take care of it as long as you ride it enough to find the problems.

I just got a 2000 Sporty and had only minor problems like above. All of it was fixed and now it is good to go.
Thanks for the reply Pop. I'm buying it from a private party. Sounds like she has been ridden pretty regular and looks to be well maintained from the records the seller provided. This bike is new to me but I'm not new to bikes. Been riding motorized 2 wheels since I was 14.
If anyone else would like to chime in with stuff to check, I'd really appreciate it.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
Ask about the cam chain tensioners...

rkc

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
If it has aftermarket exhaust check the muffler mounting bracket for cracks. Every type I've had on mine cracked eventually. The only one that didn't crack was a redesigned bracket for a set of Cobra Long Shots I had quite a while back.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check the usual suspects: brakes, tires, oil, belt, etc. Thanks for the heads up on the cam chain tensioner and muffler bracket.
Anyone got anything else? I really appreciate the input.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
listen for slop/knocking at the neck between the trees when you ride it,
many wg's are prone to issues there. mines at 30k and its time for neck
bearings. my cam chain tensioners checked out ok this summer but they
can easly go bfore 30k, some last alot longer.

good choice, enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Not doubting your ability or experience, but I would take it to someone who works on these bikes for a living. A local independent mechanic would probably charge less than $100. IMO, well worth the peace of mind and you never know what might get discovered.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not doubting your ability or experience, but I would take it to someone who works on these bikes for a living. A local independent mechanic would probably charge less than $100. IMO, well worth the peace of mind and you never know what might get discovered.
Great idea! I forgot about Bud in Savage or Shakopee MN! He saved my bacon a few times when I rebuilt a '77 FXEF Shovel. That's been a few years now...wonder if he's still in business. Super guy!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Check the date-code on the tires. Old tires, no matter how good they look are dangerous. When I bought my '03 this Spring it had the OE tires still mounted. 8yr old tires don't get it.....

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
with that mileage I would check the cam chain tension shoes or at least ask if they been serviced, th 2001s were good motors, but the shoes could be a down fall if not checked

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would also pull the inspection cover and check the primary chain. IMO, it won't tell you if bike has been taken care of, but you'll definitely see if it's been ignored.

This is the first I've heard of the cam chain tensioner issue. Thanks kids. I thought dealing with that bad cam chain tensioner bull **** ended when I sold my last Japanese bike. Oh well, guess it's a universal motorcycle issue. Anyone know if the CCT's are a problem on sportsters too. I'll be rebuilding my Buell this off season, so may as well fix it if it is. It would suck to destroy that motor.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I would also pull the inspection cover and check the primary chain. IMO, it won't tell you if bike has been taken care of, but you'll definitely see if it's been ignored.

This is the first I've heard of the cam chain tensioner issue. Thanks kids. I thought dealing with that bad cam chain tensioner bull **** ended when I sold my last Japanese bike. Oh well, guess it's a universal motorcycle issue. Anyone know if the CCT's are a problem on sportsters too. I'll be rebuilding my Buell this off season, so may as well fix it if it is. It would suck to destroy that motor.
as far as I know it is only 1999- 2006 twin cam issue, I run the conversion kit in mine. I still think over all the early Twin Cam bikes are the best

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the advice folks! Bought the bike on Mon. Bought a service manual, oil, filter, o-rings, derby and cam cover gasket. PO said she ran Amsoil since after brake in. Stealer recommended I stay with it, so that's what I bought (engine only). Got HD stuff for primary and tranny. Going to change all fluids(so I know they've been done) and pop the cam cover off to scope out the cam chain tensioners. Stealer said that if my scoot has been feed a steady diet of Amsoil, they doubt I'll have any tensioner issues (I'm going to check 'em any how). Anyone care to comment on that?

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
get a dental mirror to check the rear one while you are at it, it is the shoe that normaly wears more and harder to see, you can pry thr shoe away from the chain and look behind the cam plate with the mirror and see the face of the shoe.
for about 6 or 7 bucks you can get one with a light on it...works great

1 - 16 of 16 Posts