V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. Many swear by it. I'm running 50 Syn in one of my bikes and I will say even HOT Florida traffic it has better oil pressure at idle.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
I use 20/50 in the engine, and the 90/140 gear oil in the tranny.

My mechanic (Rick Farmer at R&D Cycle) put 10/30 in the primary during my engine rebuild. he said the extra viscocity wasn't really needed in the primary.

Only about 4% of the people that responded to the "New Oil Poll" claim to use Royal Purple. Its a shame, seems to be an excellent oil, despite Amsoil's report to the contrary. Don't get swayed by the Amsoil group, they mean well, but are a bit fanatical about supporting their brand :)

ROYAL PURPLE ROCKS!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
@gree: My first oil change will be with Royal Purple.

·
Fixxer of broken things
292 Posts
I have Max Cycle 20-50 in the engine,90-140 MaxGear in the trans,SynchroMax in the primary.Rode 1,279 miles in 21 hrs.non stop and at sustained high speeds(70-90mph) for 30-50 mile intervals,and it did not blow up.It's good in my book.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
I can get regular RP 20/50 for $7.45 a qt on base, but they don't sell the MaxCycle. Off base, the Maxcycle is aroune $11 here. I'll have to try the Syncromax in the primary, how does it feel compared to oil in feel and performance?

·
Fixxer of broken things
292 Posts
Rockbiter said:
I can get regular RP 20/50 for $7.45 a qt on base, but they don't sell the MaxCycle. Off base, the Maxcycle is aroune $11 here. I'll have to try the Syncromax in the primary, how does it feel compared to oil in feel and performance?
The engagment and disengagment(sp?) feels very positive no drag at the release point.The trans is much improved over the belray gear saver I previously used.Engine noise at temp has deminished but not bmw quiet,overall there has been positive improvement.Hope this helps.BTY the bike is a 04 Road King Classic.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Used the 20w50 (not MaxCycle) for 10 years in my old Evo RK, now with 110k on the clock. Compression and oil consumption are unchanged from 1997 and the heads have never been removed. Buy it by the 5-gal. pail from a distributor for about $5/qt.

Used MaxGear 75w90 in the tranny, never a problem. Only cheap fossil engine oil in the primary, as it doesn't need a high-tech oil.

Am following the same guidelines for my new SG, now with 13k.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Used the 20w50 (not MaxCycle) for 10 years in my old Evo RK, now with 110k on the clock. Compression and oil consumption are unchanged from 1997 and the heads have never been removed.

Used MaxGear 75w90 in the tranny, never a problem. Only cheap fossil engine oil in the primary, as it doesn't need a high-tech oil.

Am following the same guidelines for my new SG, now with 13k. Also used their 15w40 in two turbocharged cars with high mileage with no trouble, even with the turbo units.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I also run just standard RP 20w50 in the engine but I run the Max Gear 75w140 in the trans. I started with the 75w90 but found the 75w140 shifts a little smoother.

I've attached the results of a Blackstone lab test on the oil so you can judge for yourself.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have Max Cycle 20-50 in the engine,90-140 MaxGear in the trans,SynchroMax in the primary.Rode 1,279 miles in 21 hrs.non stop and at sustained high speeds(70-90mph) for 30-50 mile intervals,and it did not blow up.It's good in my book.
Anyone else running SynchroMax in their primaries with good results? What about the tranny 75w90 or the 74w140 RP gear oil, can anyone tell the diference in performance? Getting ready to change the oil to RP this weekend looking for a little advice, thanks.

·
Fixxer of broken things
292 Posts
You will be happy with the weights you have chosen.The difference between 75-140 and 90-140 will be minimal.In my post above I ran RP in all three holes.I did this as test for myself during a IBA ride around Lake Huron,as you can tell the bike ran flawlessly.I'm:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
You will be happy with the weights you have chosen.The difference between 75-140 and 90-140 will be minimal.In my post above I ran RP in all three holes.I did this as test for myself during a IBA ride around Lake Huron,as you can tell the bike ran flawlessly.I'm:)

Thanks.......I purchased a case of 20w50 for the scoot on e-bay as you can't get any around here it showed up at my doorstep this evening. I also purchased two quarts of the 75w140 max gear for the tranny. I couldn't find any of the SyncroMax so I will run the 20w50 in the primary will see how this goes. I did a search of the 75w140 and read all kinds of stuff from the 140 is too slippery for the needle bearings :confused:to it smooths and qiutess the tranny up a bit :woohoo:, etc........................My old bagger 1996 (purchased new)and my Shovel ran Amsoil 20w50 and 60w for most of their existance in my life as the owner. So I thought that I would try something new, a brother of mine has been running RP for over two years and his bike runs 20 degrees cooler than mine(same year and make).... and I have an oil cooler on the bike (05 RK). I have been running SNY3 in the three holes for three years now with no issues. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
140 is too slippery for the needle bearings
Lies, innuendo, and falsehoods. RP does its job. out performs all dino/semisynthetics. The ONLY real competetor to RP is Amsoil.

Ultimately, any oil you use will work, my prefrence just happens to be purple :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks rock yea I figured the same.....................this seams along the lines that it is so slippery that the bearings will skate that was a falsehood for many years with the dinos who didn't sell synthetics, and we all know that thats been debunked..........

you know there should be a snopes for oil debates, lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting.......wonder what the Amsoil reps will say about this, lol.:whistle:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts