V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problems with my 124 running the ist from day one .Now has been 8 months agueing with S&S to resolve the problems. 1st is Back fires on startup not always but screws your ears up when it does.
#2 When i run mid throttle at 2400 -2900 rpm engine picks up a knocking sound, not really a ping more of a pop or snapping noise but goes away once i am up at 3000 or above. Mainly snaps when loading up the motor crusing along down the road and slight up hill. Its been a nightmare thats all i know and not sure of the damage its doing to the motor. Help

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have you checked for error codes on the IST? It sort of sounds like a defective knock sensor...but that would almost be too easy, wouldn't it? What you described with your IST is exactly what my bike was doing with my Crane module. The IST I got stopped it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
ist

I have ping in my ride for a 95" build in the mountians and am thinking about the ist to ..Talked to S&S, and josh Johnson (kendall johnson customs) and he has had the same problems : it' works on some but not on others : and doe's not prefer to use them , but i might have to try... Are you running a mikuni crb? If you are you can have terrible slide rattle with there carbs and high over lap cams and make a motor sound like the wrist pins are come'n out of a v 8 between those RPM's...

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I run an IST or an SE adjustable. You can reset the IST by turning the ignition switch on/off 50 times. I am not sure if you HAVE to go through the initialization procedure as per manual, but I did anyway. From there you can 'teach' the ignition again. I have not seen major differences on my bike, had it dynoed and swapped the igntions out of curiosity, hp/tq variance within the testing error.
When I wack the throttle at 2500 - 3000 rpm I get a brief ping (about 1 second), which tells me that the system ist testing the limits for advance and then it backs off.
FWIW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts