V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried just about every wax/polymer sealant I can get my hands on and have never figured out how to prevent the wheels on my Ultras from corroding. I contacted someone about chroming, but they will destroy the anniversary gold paint on my '03's wheels. I had this bike 2 weeks and the wheels were already stained. I am looking at buffing the wheels and having them clear-coated if I can come up with a coating that will last.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Polish them with some stuff called Magic Mix that you buy at truckstops, it should protect them pretty good. It's a easy to use aluminum polish truckers use on the Alcoa wheels.
If you need more protection there is stuff called Boeshield T9 that is used on aircraft. The wheel has to be washed and dried extremely well before you apply it, just spray it on and rinse it off, but the wheel has to be really dry before you spray it on or it will streak.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I live fairly close to the ocean down here and the most effective way that I have found is to wipe them down constantly after a ride or two. I will be trying the Magic Mix that Hippo just mentioned though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Hippo, thanks for the reply. I'm going to have to look into the local availability of the products you've mentioned.

·
Registered
684 Posts
You can also use the aluminum polish made by Mother's. I'd bet that you have dime to knickle size spots on your wheels. If so, this is from water collecting at the bottom after washing or raining. Best prevention is to make sure you keep your wheels dry.

Hopefully the corrosion isn't too severe, but if it is, use aluminum polish on a small piece of very fine wet/dry sandpaper (use plenty of water). After you've gotten most of the corrosion removed, use the polish on a soft cloth to remove any fine scratches from the sandpaper.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This time around I have dark streaks in the aluminum that were there faintly when I picked the bike up and now kind of look like surface rust would look on a steel surface.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I wipe my solid rear wheel on my Deuce down every few days. 10K miles and a year later it is still looking pretty good. I did put a layer of wax on it right after I got the bike too. Make sure that kid (or dog) next door isn't pissing on it too! Good luck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While doing a search for information at work, I came on this aluminum polish that really sounds like what I've been looking for.
Wenol

·
Registered
10 Posts
SHARKHIDE metal protectant / sealer

Check out sharkhide metal protectant. I've been using it for aluminum mag wheels for years. You can coat your wheels and such just once, and its good to go for years. No more polishing at all after the first coat. The people at Harley Davidson says their going to start testing it soon so they can get the approval to sell it in their dealerships. Good luck, Clint

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Hi Clint
I saw in your profile that you like cars, any in particular? Where is O'Fallon Illinois?
Do you have a link to that stuff that goes on wheels?
Just about forgot, welcome to the BEST Harley web site on the net. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Markcuda, Been playing with cars all my life. Down to just two now. My "go fast" play car is a 1972 Mach 1 with a 500 ci bored and sroked 460. It's on the mild side in its current tune (cam & carb), but still good for 11's. It's set up more for romping on the Interstates right now. Got a set of 350's in it with a set of 300's on the bench waiting to go in.
My daily driver is a 1963 T bird. It's in the shop for new paint as we speak with a nice new alumunum head 390 waiting for her here at home.
Try sharkhide.com. That should get you to the web site and you can go from there. Let me know if that won't work and I'll get you the number to call. You get a coat of this stuff over any kind of aluminum (mill, polished or anodized) and it won't corrode, pit or stain on you for lots of years. I sent a picture of the Mustang, and the last time I polished the wheels on that is when it was painted back in about 1991 or 92. All I do to my pollished wheels is wipe em off with a chamoise and I'm done. Clinthttp://sharkhide.com

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clint Bland had recommended Sharkhide as a coating to protect the aluminum wheels. I applied a coating of it yesterday and I've gotta say I'm pretty impressed with the results. I will be putting a second coat on after I let the first cure for a few days.

Really nice people to deal with, extremely helpful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Philz, You can get ahold of some SHARKHIDE by calling 618-624-4091. It sells for $37.98 for a quart, and that will be more than enough to last the life of the bike. The stuff has an indefinite shelf life so it will never go bad. See ya, Clint

·
Registered
908 Posts
Clint,
Nice ride. Mine is a 1973 Mach 1 with a 351 C bored and stroked. It is doing 420 HP. The rear is 277, but I can hardly keep it on the ground. I was the crappy Ginger color, now it is orange and black with black interior. It is wierd but it is a 1973 that came originally with the 71/72 decal set.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey there jrrhdmust,
Thanks for the compliment. I ran Clevelands all my life and finally built a bib block. This has a 500cid (bored and stroked 460) in it. I'm kind of the "Black Sheep" of the bunch. All my buddies run ultra radical high rpm, low geared rides for the quarter. I love to play on the interstates so I went to a build combo that makes monster torque. Due to my cam spec's, it's all done at about at about 6500 to 6700 rpm. It runs through a built C6 into a nodular 9" with 3.50:1 gears (soon to be 3.00:1). There's no feeling like "Spanking" a little "Girlie Boy" in his late modle GM go fast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts