V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to take the chrome covers off the shocks, off of an early seventies FL ?? I picked up a pair...and am going to put them on my 01 RK...they are 1 inch lower than stock and with the full chrome covers..look great!!! but while I was trying to push on them...I noticed I couldn't get them to budge...so know I'm wondering about my ride...so ...I'm standing by with some other springs...and a cutting tool...if needed to cut a coil off the springs....or replace with a different spring stiffness..question is...anybody know how to get the cover off the shock?? I'd attempt..but I dont want to screw up the cover...
thanks...

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Don't understand why you would put an old set of shocks on a new bike. Besides probably being worn out, shock technology has come a long way in 30 years.

Buy a set of Progressive or Werks full covered chrome shocks instead. Sorry I couldn't help though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...But..

thatoldbike said:
Don't understand why you would put an old set of shocks on a new bike. Besides probably being worn out, shock technology has come a long way in 30 years.

Buy a set of Progressive or Werks full covered chrome shocks instead. Sorry I couldn't help though.
Thanks for the input...But the shocks are new..in the box..never used OE for the early 70's FL's..so not worn out..yes shocks have come along way...but still more or less hydraulics and springs..I know it gets a little more complicated that that..but ..as far as progressive...they told me they do not sell full covered chrome shields for the Road Kings..which is what I want..so I tried that direction..another reason for wanting to know how to remove the cover on these..is if the ride isn't good enough..I can take the covers off and try and put them on a pair of progressive 412's I have ...
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Put shock in press, compress them a little, remove threaded collar on top, remove cover. Reverse for reassembly.

No you won't do it by hand, unless your King King...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts