V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm talkin 1K, 5K,10K etc. usin HD recommended oil, etc. If you have was there any problems? I know that most owners recommend changing oil every couple of thousand miles and doing additional maintance but has anyone just done the recommended changes and there bike failed???

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Just by the book here.
Only thing I've ever had to do otherwise was the occasional clutch and throttle adjustment or tighten up something that came loose...

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
@gree: ...and a light bulb, battery or tire.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I don't even do that. Change fluids, clutch and primary adjustment evry 4-5000k miles. Overdue on forkoil, do it this year. Checked the swing arm twice. Check the belt. Probably needs to be adjsuted soon, been over 30k miles. I do the tires and breask as they need it.

Lube the cable once in awhile. Probably should do that more, it helps. Blow some graphite it the locks here and there.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Imo

My opinion---any good oil should last at least 5K miles. I think it is crazy to change oil sooner than that and sometime I go longer. If your oil needs changing before 5K, you had better find a better oil. [and I don't care how cheap it is]. I think you will be fine going by the book. Also HD is now recommending extended oil changes for the gear box and also the primary. Check that out. Run it and do what the book says.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New to the bike care world but it sounds like the advise I am getting from the dealer service manager of only using synthetic and changing it every 2-3K miles is the same $$$ making crap that I get from auto dealers. I've owned a lot of cars and never saw any difference in the length of service or repair problems between the ones that I over maintained and the ones where I followed the manufactures recommendations.

·
We're still here ya know
689 Posts
By the book. No problems.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Pitbull there is no reason to change your oil that soon if running syn. I go by the book also and have no problems at all. At least not in the last 30,000 miles. Sounds like the stealer you go to is a bit on the greedy side.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
PitBull said:
New to the bike care world but it sounds like the advise I am getting from the dealer service manager of only using synthetic and changing it every 2-3K miles is the same $$$ making crap that I get from auto dealers. I've owned a lot of cars and never saw any difference in the length of service or repair problems between the ones that I over maintained and the ones where I followed the manufactures recommendations.
The MOCO recommends 5000 miles for syn3. When it first came out they recommended 2,500, same as dino oil but they soon changed that to the current 5,000 mile mark. I agree with some others here that it is ok to go 5,000 miles between oil changes even with dino oil. I know some people who change it every 1,500 miles. That's just crazy IMO.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
I use high quality full syn and premium filters. I don't see any reason to change in my bike or cars before book time.

T113

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
5000 miles

I change oil in my bike every 5000 miles. Thats what Harley says. I used to change oil in my '99 Crown Vic every 3500 miles until I got my owners manual out and read it one day and it recommended every 5000 miles. I wished I had read it sooner Wasted money before I learned. I change oil every 5k in my Toyota pickup also. Syn 3 will go 5000 miles easy in a Harley. Change it any more often is a waste. My 2 cents worth. EZ

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
Nothing wrong with following the book, however if you want to know when you should really change the oil, you should sample it at 3K, 4K, and then at 5K, then you will know if you can go to 5K. You can do the same with your wet clutch and trans fluid.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
bay13 said:
Nothing wrong with following the book, however if you want to know when you should really change the oil, you should sample it at 3K, 4K, and then at 5K, then you will know if you can go to 5K. You can do the same with your wet clutch and trans fluid.
I've never done sampling and I'm curious how much it costs in relation to just changing oil. What are analysis prices?

Thanks.

T113

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
bay13 said:
Most articles I have read in car and motorcycle magazines or TV programs where oil breakdown is discussed have all stated that changing prior to the OEM schedule should be no problem under most conditions and is a waste of money. If you frequently ride dirt roads, stop and go traffic or in extreme heat you should change more often but for most of us that probably isn't the case. Usually the only ones I have seen that recommend you change the oil more often are those who sell oil. Also given the current situation with oil it may be that the responsable thing to do is to go with the OEM schedule.

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
changing prior to the OEM schedule should be no problem under most conditions and is a waste of money.
I use to believe the above statement as well. I'm a dealer tech and when Volvo went to a 7500 mile interval on the oil change, I wondered what had changed besides the number. The engine didn't run any cleaner internally, the oil spec's didn't get better or anything, and when I dropped the oil at 7500 miles it was VERY dark and didn't look good. Because of what I was seeing in the shop I paided out of my pocket to have the oil sampled on the same car at 1,2,3,4,5,6,7K. And the results were, at the 4K analysis report they said the oil should be changed. I have repeated the process over the years and nothing has changed. So with that in mind I have come to believe that the manufacture has many reasons for what they put into print, and as far as the oil change interval goes, they don't have analysis sheets to back it up. The air cooled V-twin thats on my bike is running a lot hotter than the water cooled Volvo engines so I'll be sampling my oil so I know for a Fact when my oil needs changing. The oil analysis will be done on my bike with my driving style. I may find out that with my oil choice it in fact will go the manufacture recommended interval, but I will know for sure.

·
Retired
1,835 Posts
I use syn and chrome premium filters. I tend to be anal on oil changes since most of my riding is city. I will change my winter oil next month due to the few hundred miles of short cold rides I have done. Riding to Florida next month and want fresh fluids in all the holes when I go. Heck,I may even wash it.:banana: :xhere:

·
CMA-er
973 Posts
I'm at 33,000 on my 04 Heritage. Done all maintence myself... every 5000 with Mobil 1 in engine and primary, and Amsoil Heavy Gear Lube in tranny. Found that shifting is MUCH smoother, and easier to get into neutral with the gear lube. It's been a carefree, wonderful bike (one fuel line leak in the tank).

1 - 20 of 100 Posts