V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Read of another poster who has experienced a lot of problems with his 06 Road King. He said if he was to do it again he would not purchase this bike. I'm hoping this was an isolated incident. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Only the RKs that are left "stock" have reliability problems.:)

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Thats definitely not the normal for a newer h-d. I would just buy it and ride. Don't worry about it. What kind of problems were they anyway?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cut and pasted this from my other thread.

I know i'm new here, but if i had it to do over you could not sell me a 06 classic. The injecter unit is different , when i changed handle bars, iI needed longer throttle cables, after a lot of crap I had to order them from barnett, returned 3 times, still aren't right. It has a unstopable top end noise even after 3 trips to the dealer to correct the problem, then harley oked a new motor, noise still there when you get close to rpm to shift, harley rep asked dealer if they ever tryed to get me in to a louder set of pipes,(thats like turning your radio up so you cant hear a knocking rod) They did tell me in 06 they downsized the valve stem diameter and went from a double valve spring to a single. that is what the noise sounds like, a week valve spring.
So most may leave them stock because nothing fits without a lot of thought.
I still love the bike (god only knows why) , but i never expected to see this kind of problems from a new bike. Just my luck so far.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I so mis-read your post. I thought you were having those issues, :duh?:
Anyway, even a BMW has cars with issues and so does HD. I have none of the one's that were pointed out, but maybe I am lucky and not that quite finick either. Yours will be fine and you are getting a great ride. enjoy it everyday, even when it is standing still in the garage.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Sounds to me like the only problem he had was a noise in the motor and the MoCo put in a new one for him and it had the same noise.It would seem to me that this poor soul needs to be on a Gold Wing or in a cage where he is insulated from all mechanical noise.Some it would seem can not stand the sound of machinery in motion.:265:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Dave1200C said:
I know i'm new here, but if i had it to do over you could not sell me a 06 classic. The injecter unit is different , when i changed handle bars, iI needed longer throttle cables, after a lot of crap I had to order them from barnett, returned 3 times, still aren't right. It has a unstopable top end noise even after 3 trips to the dealer to correct the problem, then harley oked a new motor, noise still there when you get close to rpm to shift, harley rep asked dealer if they ever tryed to get me in to a louder set of pipes,(thats like turning your radio up so you cant hear a knocking rod) They did tell me in 06 they downsized the valve stem diameter and went from a double valve spring to a single. that is what the noise sounds like, a week valve spring.
So most may leave them stock because nothing fits without a lot of thought.
I still love the bike (god only knows why) , but i never expected to see this kind of problems from a new bike. Just my luck so far.
The injector unit is different? From what? All 06s have the same unit (different from 05 maybe, but I haven't heard of any issues with them. If they were bad, all 06s would have the same problem. So it's certainly not just a RK Classic issue).

He's upset because he had to change cables when he changed bars? He's a frigging moron. With some bar changes you don't have to, other times you do. That's not Harley's fault, or a problem with the 06 RK Classics. ANY model can give you this issue.

He can HEAR a weak valve spring? Bull crap. I will say that RKs in general are a little more rattle sounding than some other bikes, but I've always attributed that to the wiring harness (and connectors) rattling around in that nacelle up there.

That guy is a buffoon, and I'd ignore everything he had to say.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes I've got a terrible problem with my '06 RK Classic too. The stupid thing just keeps using up gas at a ridiculous rate. Sometimes I put gas in it and then check it just a few hours later and there's already some missing. Just this past Saturday I had to fill the tank up twice. Yeah TWICE. Then when I got home I checked again and it still wasn't full. DAMMIT.

I just don't get it. It doesn't seem to use oil at all, but this gas thing has me stumped. It almost seems like there's some relationship between this potato-potato sound I keep hearing and the missing gas. I even tried putting lots of shiny chrome stuff on my bike, hoping that deflecting the sunlight and increasing the gravitational field would help hold the gas in, but still no luck.

If my dealer can't solve this gas usage problem for me, my only hope will be to try parking it for a few minutes to give it time to collect more gas. Anybody else having this problem with their '06 model?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am the one with the problem child 06 rk, first off the mounting bracket on the injector IS different, Harley doesent make long enough cables for the bars i used yet, barnett does not have ends to fit the bracket yet. Second, this noise is not normal engine rattle, the valve design was changed for 06 and not for the better, and if you never heard a valve float out because of week springs , you must have spent too much time on a goldwing or in a cage. Not to mention the fact of the name calling shows your intellagence
level.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Valves and springs were a change made to the twin cams in 05, not 06. There have been issues with the valves seals for 05 but those have been corrected in 06. Doc told me in a converstation that I had with him a few months back, that the new valves and behive springs are superior to the old design...then again what would he know that you and your stealer don't?:coffee:

·
Registered
113 Posts
maybe a dumb question but..

..what are you using for oil on the bike. If you're using Syn 3 you will find that the bike is a little noisier than if you were using dino. I've got an '04 E-G and use Syn 3..for the motor only, I went back to the regular primary and transmission oils. My motor is noisy compared to others and I've been told that it would probably be quieter with the thicker oil. I don't have an oil cooler, ride two up and pull a trailer so the motor and the oil gets a good workout. I don't know about the changes in the valve trains or injectors for the new bikes..I've heard of some issues with the '05s..valve guides/seals? The factory has already swapped out one motor..did they explain why they did? There are a number of ways to go and I'm sure there are guys who have a lot more on the ball about Harleys than me here but if you're forever worried about the motor's long term health you could throw a bunch of money at it in aftermarket parts..depending on how you want to ride it. I know guys who completely redone their motor..cam drives, oil pump, springs etc because they've got no faith in the original equipment. You've got a two year warranty with the bike, I'd ride the wheels offa it and if you're still bugged about some problems get the extended warranty before the original warranty expires..and then bag it some more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On the first engine, it had a little rattle at first and got worse with miles. Dealer took it down and found 1 rocker was wearing alot more than the others, found metel in the oil, and 1 valve stem starting to flatten. they replaced what was needed and a new set of lifters, they rode the bike and told me that it was still a little noisey, put some miles and see if it got better. At first it was about the same as when it was new, (slight noise), then got worse again, they said it was probably a oiling problem, next they replaced the engine and they told me when I picked it up, it is quieter, but said they have heard better, try it, see how it does, now less than 200 miles same noise right before shifting range. If it follows the same pattern as the first engine, it will start comming in at lower and lower rpm. And this is normal riding not crammin it. Have tried reg and syn oils, I do have the extended warranty so I have time to get this worked out. I am planning to do the pipes and ac, but not till I get this worked out. Dealer did say oil pressure was good, so running out of posabilaties

·
Registered
113 Posts
you've bucked up for the extended warranty? It's all good then. Just make sure that your mods don't compromise the warranty and enjoy. I've got a couple of months left on my regular warranty. I've logged my noise issues about the bike and I'll likely get the extended warranty, I've gone the 95 route and kept it within the warranty approved area..There is no hassle with the dealer about the warranty..and they know how I ride.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
capn_buzzcut said:
Yes I've got a terrible problem with my '06 RK Classic too. The stupid thing just keeps using up gas at a ridiculous rate. Sometimes I put gas in it and then check it just a few hours later and there's already some missing. Just this past Saturday I had to fill the tank up twice. Yeah TWICE. Then when I got home I checked again and it still wasn't full. DAMMIT.

I just don't get it. It doesn't seem to use oil at all, but this gas thing has me stumped. It almost seems like there's some relationship between this potato-potato sound I keep hearing and the missing gas. I even tried putting lots of shiny chrome stuff on my bike, hoping that deflecting the sunlight and increasing the gravitational field would help hold the gas in, but still no luck.

If my dealer can't solve this gas usage problem for me, my only hope will be to try parking it for a few minutes to give it time to collect more gas. Anybody else having this problem with their '06 model?
That's a real shame about the gas problem. My '02 RK has the same problem. I had hoped for a solution by now. Apparently MOCO doesn't care about this issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
RustyG said:
That's a real shame about the gas problem. My '02 RK has the same problem. I had hoped for a solution by now. Apparently MOCO doesn't care about this issue.
Well it's a relief to hear that at least one other person has seen this problem. I finally took mine to the stealer to have the missing gas issue checked out and was told "they all do that". He recommended pushing the "stop" button (on the handlebar) once in a while, but when I tried that it became VERY hard to keep up with traffic. I can't believe I've spent nearly $20,000 on a motorcycle only to have it constantly losing gas. WTF?

Apparently I'm on the right track with the reflective chrome gravity field idea though, because the stealer made sure to sell me lots more of it. Why didn't my bike come with enough chrome to prevent gas loss?

·
Registered
529 Posts
capn_buzzcut said:
Well it's a relief to hear that at least one other person has seen this problem. I finally took mine to the stealer to have the missing gas issue checked out and was told "they all do that". He recommended pushing the "stop" button (on the handlebar) once in a while, but when I tried that it became VERY hard to keep up with traffic. I can't believe I've spent nearly $20,000 on a motorcycle only to have it constantly losing gas. WTF?

Apparently I'm on the right track with the reflective chrome gravity field idea though, because the stealer made sure to sell me lots more of it. Why didn't my bike come with enough chrome to prevent gas loss?
Is this problem only found on the RK's or is it spread through out all of the FLH's. I have not heard of a recall on this issue but I would think the warranty would cover the additional chrome if that cures the problem.:roflback:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts