V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Gravel
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In February I had a problem with my ignition switch. Turned out that one of the connectors developed space, it arced, melted the plastic harness and filled the gap with plastic. I cut the harness off and replaced with female blade connectors - works fine (10,000 mile or so ago).
Yesterday, my headlight went out (high and low beam at the same time). I pulled it apart and found melted plastic on of of the blades.
Should I be caking dielectric grease on all my connectors annually or what? :hmmm:

Gravel

·
Registered
48 Posts
Gravel,
I had problems with the wiring of my '06 Street Bob. There was an intermittent shortcircuit after I washed the bike or rode through water (puddles, etc), causing the starter motor to kick in every now and then. The first time I didn't notice it and burnt out the starter!
The bike went back to the dealer 4 times for warranty repairs, but they could not cure the problem. The fifth time I returned the bike with keys, owners manual and all and told them to stick it somewhere. Personally I think the problem was in the thick harness coming from the engine under the "brainbox" under the seat, but you need a chinese assitant to get a hand in there!
After a huge battle (even involving the USA and Europe head offices), they jacked up the tank and fenders and replaced the rest of the bike!
The workshop manager told me they fixed the problem (no details though) and sold the '06 bike again.
After one of the "repair efforts" I noticed the workshop had applied contact lubricant to all the connectors (those I could reach under the seat). I think it should help with the contact resistance problems you are experiencing with your bike.
Hope this info helps.
Ride safe!
Regards,
Torrom

1 - 2 of 2 Posts