V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Actually, 99-2002 had forged cranks with timken left side bearings. They are holding up far better than some of the new ones. Seems like the crank issues came up when they went to 96 ci in 07.
Ya crank problems started post 02 bikes when the tolerances were changed. It's why lots of post 02 bikes coulnt run gear drive cams. The crank run out was too bad.
You guys are sadly mistaken. The later cranks do have more runout issues, but the early ones are the ones which most frequently have rod & crankpin failure. For the Twin Cam, Harley eliminated the hardened rod races they always used before, and heat-treated the rod itself. That's why if you look at the big end of a TC rod, you'll see it's blue. Apparently they're doing a better job with the heat-treating on the later cranks, but I used to have a box full of early TC rods & pins that were shot, mostly out of dressers..

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I have NEVER felt the need to lock the front brake, get up off of the seat and smoke the rear tire....but then, the older I get the dumber I get too!

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
You guys are sadly mistaken. The later cranks do have more runout issues, but the early ones are the ones which most frequently have rod & crankpin failure. For the Twin Cam, Harley eliminated the hardened rod races they always used before, and heat-treated the rod itself. That's why if you look at the big end of a TC rod, you'll see it's blue. Apparently they're doing a better job with the heat-treating on the later cranks, but I used to have a box full of early TC rods & pins that were shot, mostly out of dressers..
The first time I saw the heat treated blue rod ends I almost shat myself, thought the bottom end was junk, lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Put the big bore kit on my 2003 flhtci. Got the whole screaming eagle kit for less than 500 on ebay. 203 cams, jugs, pistons, gaskets etc. Ported and polished heads. 2 into 1 exhaust off 2010 street glide. Sert and eagle stage one breather. dynoed at 97 and 88.

·
Still the Same!
1,781 Posts
I posted a 'blue' rod, because I thought WTF! didn't look like any rod I had seen before.

Bang for the buck? Cast pistons and have a reputable HARLEY shop bore the cylinders.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

I just finished tearing down the TC88 on my 2000 dresser because of a blown rear head gasket. While in the process of the tear down, I've been thinking of doing a few minor upgrades to the engine while I have it apart. I was wondering If I could harness the experience of the forum memebers to guide me a little. I have a few questions for anyone who can help.

1) My bike has about 60,000 miles on it. Two years ago and approximately 14000 miles, I had the timing chain guides and cams changed out on the motor. The dealer recommended the SE 203 cams for performance. Now that I have the engine apart, I have been thinkiing about buying a 95cu upgrade kit to replace the top end. Is thare to many miles on this crank or the enginer itself to do an upgrade of this sort?

2) how will my gas mileage be once the upgrade is done. I am planning on throwing the stock heads back on until I have more money to do a cnc machine job I ride alot and gas is getting expensive.

3) Is it worth it? I saw a few kits on ebay. I can't afford the Harley upgrade kit for 1500 bucks; however, I did see several other kits on there for short money. Are there a specific brand recomended or to stay away from on line?

4) Some of the kits have cast (Screaming Eagle, etc.) Pistons, Should I go with forged pistons?

5) will I notice a significant difference in performance? im not a speed demond, but it would be nice for the dressr to get out of its own way :woohoo:

Thanks!!

Sinn
Hey I have this set up on my 2000 Fatboy and it fricken rocks! The extra added power is insane. Im staying with the .030 headgaskets but what was the circumference you used on the bore for new head gaskets? 3.75? 4.00? Just want to make sure i get the right size cuz I forgot what it was before. THanks.

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts