V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a 02 FXSTBI that has just arrived -- as luck will have it, I am still unemployed. So, talking with my salesman, he tells me he can get me an 03 FXSTB (most likely injected) and "most likely" can squeeze me into allocation #1 -- b\c of my unfortunate situation and since I am a repeat customer. He tells me he will roll my original deposit over...

He then tells me that the Night Train will be offered in a Vivid Black and some new "gunmetal" color -- he has no idea what it looks like yet. He then "mentions" that HD has already told dealers that ALL 03s will carry "premium pricing" -- he does not know what that means. I then ask them if the dealers pricing policy ($500 over MSRP that includes an additional yr. of warranty) is going to change as a result -- again, no idea.

What I would like to know, is if anyone has an idea of exactly what this "premium pricing" is going to entail -- and ultimately cost me.

This is the exact reason why I was trying to jump on an 02... If I land a job soon, I am going to my original Plan B which is to call every HD dealer within a 300 mile radius to see if they have any 02 FXSTB left...

Wish me luck -- I need it on a number of fronts!:D

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
"Premium Pricing?"

Bend over and grab your ankles. You're about to get it!!!!

I'm a strong advocate of msrp sales. IMHO, buy a '02; buy a low mileage used bike; buy out of State; or wait till '04, unless you just like giving away your money. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Main Entry: 1pre·mi·um
Pronunciation: 'prE-mE-&m
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin praemium booty, profit, reward, from prae- + emere to take, buy -- more at REDEEM
Date: 1601
1 a : a reward or recompense for a particular act b : a sum over and above a regular price paid chiefly as an inducement or incentive c : a sum in advance of or in addition to the nominal value of something <bonds callable at a premium of six percent> d : something given free or at a reduced price with the purchase of a product or service
2 : the consideration paid for a contract of insurance
3 : a high value or a value in excess of that normally or usually expected <put a premium on accuracy>
Synonymous with a good ass reamin.

My bet is definition 1c applies.

Good Luck.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Only Harley Davidson could convince it's customers that a black motorcycle with a standard engine is a special limited edition....and charge a premium price.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
logical said:
Only Harley Davidson could convince it's customers that a black motorcycle with a standard engine is a special limited edition....and charge a premium price.
That is a true statement my friend. And only Harley Riders can change the tide. There is no way in HELL I will buy any 03 product or attend any 03 celebration. If more people did the same, 04 could prove to be a good year. As long as we buy into the hype, the $$$ will go up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was on the list for an 03' at my local dealer until I heard about the BS pricing for them. I thought it would have been kinda cool to have a 100th anniversary edition etc...but I'm not willing to pay what they are planning to ask, not to mention the local dealer's markup. The local dealers in Oklahoma didn't have what I wanted, so I took my happy a$$ to Dallas and found exactly what I was looking for, a black 02' Heritage Springer. We danced around on the price for a while, then they threw in a set of Vance & Hines Straightshots, a detachable windshield, and trailered up for me a week later from Dallas to Oklahoma for me. So it does pay to canvas other dealships, but most of the ones I have talked to say that pricing on the 2003s will be steep. So much for nostalga! I'm happy with the "99th" anniversary edition I have :D

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I mention in my thread, I am trying to avoid a 03 at all costs -- I was just trying to understand what the price differential is going to be as an alternative -- and it doesn't seem like anyone has heard exactly what the differential is going to be other than that is going to be steep.

I am dreading over a 03 -- I was planning on extensive mods and if I end up with an overpriced, 03 "Anniversary Edition", I am going to be less likely to be cutting fender struts, etc.

The CCI\Yaffe Bike Kit is starting to sound better and better...:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
According to a dealer here in MIlwaukee, the National consensus is that the 100th anniversary models will be anywhere from 3k to 5k over invoice. This dealer promised - with a deposit - that there price will not exceed 3k over invoice.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I would not pay one dime over MSRP for an '03 and would not even pay MSRP if it is more than the '02 MSRP. Don't do it guys....don't buy into the 100 year hype. collector value is purely driven by condition and rarity and there will be more '03 bikes made than any other model year ever in Harley history and more than a few will be left in the crate by speculators. An '03 that you intend to ride and put even average miles on will be worth no more than an equivilant '02 in ten years.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
spkurtz said:
According to a dealer here in MIlwaukee, the National consensus is that the 100th anniversary models will be anywhere from 3k to 5k over invoice. This dealer promised - with a deposit - that there price will not exceed 3k over invoice.
But the "premium pricing", according to the opening statement is coming from HD and not the individual dealers. That means the MSRP will include "premium pricing" and THEN the dealers will jack it up another 3k. BULLSHIT!

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Premium pricing

Most dealers allotment is based on previous years bike sales. In anticipation of the potential markup for "03" models many dealers are getting as many "02" models as they can. It is my belief that so many people are going to want the anniversary year that there should be some "02" models for msrp. Just a thought, What do you guys think?

·
Registered
81 Posts
"the dealer promised....not over 3k....

WHATTA GUY, THAT DEALER..

fellas, i have to tell you I LOVE MY HARLEY, but this is getting to be laughible, next thing ya know, HD is going to start franchising with Starbucks where IDIOTS pay $3.50 for a F**kin cup of coffee. I have to also tell you that I looked at the new honda 1800 (for about $12000.00)
and not that I would buy it instead of my HD, but it made me think twice...

The only thing that makes me feel better when I here all these "crazy" prices is that it will keep the value high for all of us IF we ever go to sell.

I also wounder if all the dealers get together at some yearly function and sit around laughing their asses off at all of these "honest" sales they are making.

"premium pricing" was the salesguy having a hard time keeping a straight face when he told you that??

I wounder what the dealer will be offering you for that same bike if you were to do a trade in with it in 04.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hey HighRider !

For the most part I agree with ya. One aspect however that is important, is all the glitz and glitter HD is pumping into the 03 rides and stuff. About a month ago I saw my first Harley TV comercial. ( That old man in the swing on the porch.)

The Company is gunning for the 50 and up crowd on this one. And The Company believe many will be caught up in the hype and don their first leather vest.

My guess is MSRP will go up and at a higher rate than you projected. I also believe that Harley knows that it has lost the battle for the younger crowd today. So they are going for the wallets of anyone with $$$ and mid life crisis.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: Dealers

highrider said:

The parts people are a rotating field of clowns who when you ask them a technical question or ask for a specific part they haven'e got a clue ,its open the manual ask YOU which part it is and them have to ask some one else if they have the right object. but they can change a $100.
Hey "high"rider thanks a bunch for the lovely comments! It's amazing how much "you" customers don't know. How many quarts of oil does my bike take? What kind of oil does my bike use? Read the F'n manual! I've been in the Harley business for about 12 years now. (the last 7 of them in a dealer) Every day I am surprised at the stupidity that wonders into my shop. But with a straight face and a smile I "help" them. Remember a desciption of your bike is not "The Black Harley" Help me out here! Remember not all parts guys are created equal. So don't lump us all in the same group. :mad:

·
Registered
81 Posts
jimmy k

yea, I agree that they are going after the "older" crowd but a rip off is a rip off is a rip off. I am in my late 30's and hear all the time from guys "my age" how they would LOVE to be able to afford a harley (and believe me appriciate them more) but have been "turned off" by the dealers by simply having the "balls" to drive into a dealership in a shitty old 02 ford instead of a lexus or mercedes. I myself went into a local dealer and because i'm not in my 50's, got "blown off". Who wants to give their money to someone who treats you like ****?? My point is, you are correct in saying that HD is going after "the older guy" in part because they know they have lost the "younger" crowd, BUT THATS THEIR OWN FAULT!!. Yes, go for the older market but don't blow off the younger market. True the salespeople wont make quite the commission, but will perhaps gain a steady flow of lesser bikes that will (with the right treatment) come back in for trade-ups. Thats what keeps a business in business. And as far as the "parts guys" go, I can only imagine how they feel after dealing with guys who have actually WORKED on their bikes for many, many years, now all of the sudden are dealing with guys who complain that their hands get dirty after they do an oil change. I'm not saying that is an excuse for giving an attitude but I understand it.

I hope all this hype and advertising works for HD because if it dosn't who knows if there will be anyone left to "fall back" on once the "craze of the moment" is over.

I guess they will have to market the ken and barbie dolls more on the cartoon networks.

..a loyal but disappointed HD rider

1 - 20 of 24 Posts