V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting cold out there. I wanted to buy some color matched fairing lowers, but I wonder what they'll look like installed. Function does go before fashion... but for pure function, I would just get the soft lowers.

Anyone got a picture of painted lowers and regular RK windshield?

·
Run Silent Run Deep...
190 Posts
I have the Desert Dawgs soft lowers, work and look good. Easy on and off and I just throw them in the bottom of the saddlebags when not needed. Just my $.02 worth.:whisper:

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I have the color-matched lowers for my Road King. They work great. If you'd like to PM me I can email you a couple of pics.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I have the black primed. Looks good. Put them on in spring, only took them off a week. Vents are nice.

·
banal
486 Posts
My experience with soft lowers e.g. desert dawgs is that they take all that cold wind that would be blowing on your legs and redirect it right up to your face. Awful. I just installed the color matched hard lowers on my RK today and they work great. But, I can't be of any help on the looks because my RK is currently sporting a batwing fairing just like an EG for the winter months.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CarbideDude, got any pictures you want to post?

I would ask you too, berserker, but I know that the "blue" members can't post pics... :confused:

I just want to see what they look like on the bike...

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Heres pic.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
jmorton10, that's a good lookin' scooter. What handlebars are you running?

Not trying to highjack the thread but jmorton's mail box is full, no room for anymore private messages.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
jmorton10, that's a good lookin' scooter. What handlebars are you running?

>>those are the stock RK Custom bars, but they are mounted on 4" risers

Not trying to highjack the thread but jmorton's mail box is full, no room for anymore private messages.

>>it is empty now, sorry I didn't realize it was full

~John

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I had not thought of putting painted lowers on my RK. I like the look and I'm sure they're very functional.

Suggestions on the best place to shop, dealer, ebay, ???

jmorton, thanks for the quick reply.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks marshrat, berserker, and jmorton10 for the pics. :D All of y'alls bikes look good with the lowers... I tried to imagine what a King would look like, but sometimes you just got to see the real thing. After marshrat emailed me some pics of his fine scoot, I ordered the painted vented lowers from my favorite dealership. Hope to get them in by December. After I put them on, I'll put some pics in the Road King thread, since I have yet to post any pictures of my bike.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
My experience with soft lowers e.g. desert dawgs is that they take all that cold wind that would be blowing on your legs and redirect it right up to your face.
Anyone else experience this? Not that I'm doubting CarbideDude.......

How do the H-D soft lowers compare in quality to the Desert Dawgs?

John, thanks for the link to Benj's. I've heard good things about Jenni before.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Neckball said:
I had not thought of putting painted lowers on my RK. I like the look and I'm sure they're very functional.

Suggestions on the best place to shop, dealer, ebay, ???

jmorton, thanks for the quick reply.
i found a pair at a motorcycle swap meet.one was black and one was blue. paid a $100 for the pair.got a can of gloss black krylon and painted the blue one. black lowers match everything.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the call from the dealership yesterday, my painted lowers had arrived. I put them on last night and this morning was the FIRST times since it has turned cold, that I actually got to work warm.

I didn't think that the lowers made that much of a difference on my test run last night and I kind of felt like I wasted my money, but after getting to work this morning, I think it was a good winter solution. My jeans around my calf and my boots were actually warm to the touch. Knees still in the breeze, but there is some reduction in the cold wind force.

It's going to take some time to get use to the look and to stop kicking the new lowers everytime I shift and brake with my big clumsy boots.

Unfortunately, I had to take off the highway pegs. I doubt I'll be using them in the winter anyhow, but I just might like these lowers too much to take them off in spring. I know HD makes different peg mount designs that can be used with the lowers... off to the catalog I go. :D

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
>>but I just might like these lowers too much to take them off in spring

I like mine so much that I have never removed them at all.

~John

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I added the color matched vented lowers to my street glide, ( cobalt blue ) and I love them. I am going to have to get some pics up on here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts