V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there got advice on bedding in new brake pads? I think I've used some new EBC organic pads too hard before bedding in and glazed my rotors. I assume I can sandpaper them off and start again?

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
You can lightly scuff them and they should be ok, just be careful when trying them out!!!...man that's some heating, I've never had that problem with anything as light as a bike...

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Yep that is why I stayed away from EBC pads you are not the first I have heard glaze them on break in procedure. They have prescribed mythology for doing it.

You are able to sand your rotors and I did it on factory pads as one of the many attempts to not come to a squealing (embarrassing) stop.

Just like cleaning a CD from center out. I am not sure if you can do anything to the pads or not I probably would pull them try a light "spot" sand, clean with brake cleaner and look, if it would appear to help I would have at it.

Make sure you spray rotors and pads spotless with air and then brake cleaner.

Do your self a favor and use Lyndalls next time:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick replies, guys. Does it matter in what direction you sand the rotors? I spun the wheel while holding sandpaper on the rotor disk. It seems to have lost that glossy mirror glaze it had. I thik I'l replace the EBC pads with sintered metal pads.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I've been running EBC Kevlars for 40k or so now with no problems....You can sand your rotors in any direction that you want if you are just scuffing the rotor to get the glaze off. I polish rotors with sandpaper and polish the breaking surface as well. I can't tell any diminished braking from it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reassuring advice. I hear many good reports on EBC kevlars. I'm glad that the rotors can be cleaned up relatively easily with sandpaper.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
I've been running EBC Kevlars for 40k or so now with no problems....You can sand your rotors in any direction that you want if you are just scuffing the rotor to get the glaze off. I polish rotors with sandpaper and polish the breaking surface as well. I can't tell any diminished braking from it.
When I had the original pads and rotors I asked a person who I trust about just scuffing the rotors to try and get rid of the squeal. He said since the rotor is spinning and you want to break the surface where you see pad wear, the least obtrusive, and quickest way, it to go center to edge. It also was the most pain in th a%%. I did not want to scratch my center hub, or my edge of the rotor, just the wear area.

After putting new floaters and pads on the front of my bike I was amazed at how long it takes to get even the slightest wear mark.

I agree with you in that any of us hand sand to de-glaze will never harm a rotor. Good information on the polishing aspect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.