V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering now that they have intergral baffles and full shields. I loved the sound of the older street sweepers but never tried them due to their quality issues and loss of power.Any improvement with the new BG3's.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
slalomdude said:
Just wondering now that they have intergral baffles and full shields. I loved the sound of the older street sweepers but never tried them due to their quality issues and loss of power.Any improvement with the new BG3's.
They seem fine to me for a 2-2 exhaust.I just put them on and the sound is really good even with the baffles,seems alot deeper then the old ones.
The quality is good and the shields arealso good.My bike didnt seem to lose anymore power then it did when I had Rinehart Staggered duals on.(to me the Rineharts sucked).

·
Banned
17,238 Posts
as a matter of fact...

yes, I have them. Samson sent me those when my 2nd set of Caliber 2>1 broke a header. To a bystander they sound about the same but to me, the rider, they are a bunch louder. I ordered the auxillary baffles Samson makes for the original Big Guns and putting them on tomorrow. I have no complaints about the performance and the dyno almost matched perfectly the dyno from the Calibers. The integrated heat shield is flawless. The only improvement in looks would be to do something with the end of the pipe, like roll it or add a fancy endcap.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Fred, you say on the dyno your numbers were close. What were those numbers and whats your mods/build
Thanks

·
Banned
17,238 Posts
bafffles in BG3

put the baffles in today and worth every penny. Had to shim up the ends of the baffles about 1/4 inch so they wouldn't rattle. The BG3 has an internal baffle 14 inches from the end of the pipe. That bit of pipe creates a lot of resonance that you guys who want to wake the neighbors would be very happy with. I use my bike almost daily, not just on Saturdays to go to the biker bar so that loud noise got old real fast. The baffles keep the low tone, smoothes out the rumble, and lowers volume to an acceptable level. Still miss the 2>1, though. Mods: 98 inch flat top Keith Black pistons, heads polished but not flowed or ported, Andrews .510 TW37g cams, Daytona TwinTec ignition (also worth every penny), stock carb with Ness Big Sucker II air filter, jets 45/185, thunderslide kit. Kept stock coil but blew $46 on spark plug wires. I was pissed off because my plugs shorted out while I was driving through monsoon conditions. I did not get the domed 10.5 pistons because I was more interested in longer engine life and, besides, I don't go over 100 mph. I just like to get there pdq. so, to kill the suspense, the numbers are 91 tq and 71 hp. Not impressive but adequate. Now, if my wife had not been layed off from IBM after 27 years, I would have the $900 to send the heads out for flowing and porting and my wrench said that alone would take it up to 100 hp. with the setup I have. The point is, I feel comfortable on and with this bike. I'm a happy camper.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
I have an '06 Dyna Low Rider with Samson Big Guns III. At the time they were the only manufacturer that made the long, straight, and evenly square cut ends. There were lots of slash cuts and staggered, but I wanted even straight cut. Ordered from Eastern Performance, shipped promptly, 3500 miles, no problems. Might be a little loud for me though. Anyone know how to quiet them down a bit?

Do those baffles fit in the BIG GUNS III? How do they stay in there?

·
Banned
17,238 Posts
well, it's been a year since my last post in this thread but since you renewed it..... Samson quality sucks. I'll never get anymore Samson. The rubber mounted Dyna engine was too much for these pipes. First it broke the header pipe on the 2>1 Caliber and now it broke all of the welds on the heat shield that the hose clamps fit through to hold it onto the pipe. So when the little clamp thingies were welded back on it messed up the chrome. So...here's what I did. My mechanic is a master welder so he welded in a crossover piece up close to where the header pipes grow apart to reach the jugs. It's a real tight space, maybe less than half an inch. Boy, howdy, that really picked up the performance. Crossovers are there for a reason, guys, and that's why 2>1 are better performers. Since my fxdx has the black engine I wrapped the pipes in muffler wrap and spray painted it black with manifold paint. Looks kinda cool, no chrome to polish, and performs well.
As mentioned earlier, the auxillary baffles added into it makes the noise level tolerable.
The extra baffles had to be shimmed up a bit to fit without rattling. The 2 holes were drilled through the pipe into the baffle so screws would hold it in place. Once again the Dyna vibration worked the screws loose so they were welded in and covered with the muffler tape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts