V-Twin Forum banner

Had any mechaical down-time this summer?

• No, bike has been running fine all summer!

Votes: 38 55.9%
  • Yes, have had or am having mechaical issues with my Harley this summer!

Votes: 30 44.1%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time since I've bought my bike I'm down for an extended time due to mechanical issues.

A few weeks ago, while riding into work, I stopped at the guard gate to get out my I.D. When I placed the transmission in neutral I heard a slight whine I hadn't heard before.

My first thought was that maybe the noise was normal and I just never noticed it before. Harley 6 speed transmissions are not exactly quiet!

Well, the noise began to get more pronounced after a period of time. It made the sound in neutral but went away when I placed the transmission in first gear.

This past week a guy at work has the exact same year and model Harley so I asked him if I could hear what his bike sounded like in neutral. I was not overly surprised when his transmission did not make the same noise as mine.

I called the dealer and was told they were backed up to the first week of September in their service department. Shoot! Well I made the appointment and then called an independent that I have accomplish any non warranty items I don't do myself.

He said to bring it by and he'd listen and give me his opinion. He said it might be a bearing in the transmission. I stopped by his shop and he mentioned it was louder than he thought it might be.

Yep, transmission bearing is what he thinks it is. I wanted to ride the bike to Green Bay this weekend but was told by the Indy that wouldn't be a good idea. He said it would be possible for the transmission to lock up which would have disastrous results if in the middle of a curve.

So, to the dealer it went. I have the extended warranty so that is the one good thing about all this. The bad thing is summer is so short here up in the north and now I'm without a bike for at least another week!

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
In the middle of a heat wave somebody is already dreading winter.

as far as my mechanical issues...........this just appeared.

well not so much appeared as dragged 300 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the middle of a heat wave somebody is already dreading winter.
Where I live, the average date for first frost is 21 days away from today! What heat wave??

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have had a bunch of break downs this year on the old Shovel.Had a good year last summer but this one is a bitch.
Glad I have the Vic for a back up:)

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember feeling your pain.
2 bikes are nice.
I've been thinking about that same subject for the first time when it comes to motorcycles.

I did get another Labrador retriever when I had one go down due to surgery years ago. I was into pheasant hunting big time. When I had to skip a season due to not having my dog I told myself "never again".

On the plus side I already have a trip planned to Florida in December when I'm renting a Harley with some relatives for a ride from Tampa to Key West. Something to look forward to when the flakes (snow, not people) start flying around here.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The stator burned out on my 08 and it took about 10 days for the part to come in. Fixing it was no problem once I clearanced the inner primary so the rotor would clear without removing the inner primary. If I ever have to do it again the job will take about 30 minutes.

Dreamer, move south. We ride year round so losing 10 days is no big deal.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Just got the bike of my dreams a few weeks ago, been down most of that time. Yes, two bikes are nice to have.

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
I've been thinking about that same subject for the first time when it comes to motorcycles.

I did get another Labrador retriever when I had one go down due to surgery years ago. I was into pheasant hunting big time. When I had to skip a season due to not having my dog I told myself "never again".

On the plus side I already have a trip planned to Florida in December when I'm renting a Harley with some relatives for a ride from Tampa to Key West. Something to look forward to when the flakes (snow, not people) start flying around here.
I would recommend something in the FX persuasion.
I been waiting a longtime for those not flakes to stop.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Where I live, the average date for first frost is 21 days away from today! What heat wave??
As hot as it has been here, this summer, I'm almost looking forward to the first frost...At this rate, it should come around February. We have had around 80 days of 100*+ and the days it wasn't 100 or more, I think it was 99.

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
640 miles and I didn't get to ride today. Tomorrow things will be different.

Saw lots of bikes on 101 wishing it was warmer, fog and clouds with a nice breeze off the ocean was making them wish they would have plugged in the winter gear.
What were you saying about heat?

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
it's been too hot to ride for me 101 to 105 not counting the road is around 120..... im not riding in an oven......lol

·
Registered
817 Posts
Ahar, you're just mean.

·
Registered
185 Posts
it's been too hot to ride for me 101 to 105 not counting the road is around 120..... im not riding in an oven......lol
I'm with you. On an average summer, I would have done 10 to 15K by the end of August. This year I doubt I have done 3K. This weekend it is supposed to be between 105 and 110. This is really getting old.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I stripped the teeth of my drive belt, and the scoot was in the shop for 2 weeks. Longest two weeks I can remember in a LONG time.

·
Premium Member
10,494 Posts
As hot as it has been here, this summer, I'm almost looking forward to the first frost...At this rate, it should come around February. We have had around 80 days of 100*+ and the days it wasn't 100 or more, I think it was 99.
Sounds like summer to me.

Mine was down with starter problems and the compensator sprocket.

·
Registered
33 Posts
After 12k miles since mid-April, Mine's in the dealership now... Developed a strange tap-knock on the way to Austin in June.. Still runs perfectly, just has this horrible noise.. I put it into shop in July for a week.. They checked cam tensioners, and a few things, and said it was all good.. So I picked it up. The noise continued, and concerns me greatly.. So having ext warranty, I bit the bullet and put it back in the shop.. Been there since Monday. Said they'll call me today or Monday with "options" for upgraded parts while they have it in pieces.. Just waiting for the call.. Hope I'll have it back in another week or so.. It's been 65+ days of 100+ heat.. So riding hasn't been comfortable to say the least.. I just wanted to make sure I had the Road King fixed before the cooler weather gets here.. About December.. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Mine wasn't down, but it was leaking fluid. When I did the maintenance on the bike, I misaligned the gasket on the clutch cover, so it leaked anytime the bike was on the kickstand. Fixed it that weekend.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts