V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got 66080-06 Touring Mufflers - a buddy bought an SE Ultra, and made me a deal on them.

you know what, I REALLY like the look of that big fat pipe - it's inch bigger around than last years, got the end caps, the heat shields.

so i'd really like to keep them - but they are too quiet, i want a just a TINY bit more sound out of them.

i've had good luck drilling a few mufflers before, use a small bit to penetrate, see what you hit, then open it up with successively bigger bits, run it some, and make more holes.

a small hole = air moving faster = higher frequency, so you need a good size hole to get deeper sound.

i'd hate to ruin these pipes - they might do well on E-bay as is,
but they don't work for me the way they are.

the mechanical noise of the motor is louder (reflected off the fairing) than the pipes, and the wind is louder at speed.

pic of the end cap attached.

??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Removing baffles from stock EFI equipped 2006

I have a stock muffler setup on my 2006 Hertiage Classic. I would like to bore out the two baffles in these mufflers. Is it true I will need an electronics mod and a new air filter to offset the decrease in back pressure caused by eliminating the restricting baffles?+SMSH+

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
larry, welcome.

the HD Touring Mufflers say that you do not have do any mods to run them.

so knocking the baffles out might not flow enough to warrant changes.
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75151

i put a stage 1 intake kit (backing plate & HD wix filter) and a Race Fueler on my 06 RK, and with the Touring muffs, it REALLY woke it up.
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c154/cranksensor/HD-Race-fueler/

FWIW, I'd do the baffles, then when $$ permits, get the RF (06's have different Fuel injector connectors) and then the Stage 1 kit.

pace your$elf.

·
Registered
196 Posts
In a word, don't! When you punch out the rearmost baffle, you will inherit a (bird ) chirp on acceleration. Sounds like ****! One way is to do some serious gutting of the pipe. I have done this.. Bad move! Leave it quiet untill you can afford different muffs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
TNX......I had a carbed 03 Dyna that had the baffles taken out by a dealer and it gave the bike a nice "Harley" rumble. But on this 06 EFI, I don't know. Anyone else have a comment? I'm only looking for the sound....don't need the horses...quit racing years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts