V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little info on how anyone may have done this on the newer fairings. I did this years ago to my 79 FLH by simply cutting off what I needed from the bottom, redrilling, and putting it back on. What I can see from the parts book the new stuff is made different. Is there a metal support bracket glued to the bottom?

I've rode the new baggers and at six foot tall, I gotta lift the neck a little too high(for me anyway) to look over the shield to be comfortable. I prefer not to look through them. I have mine set at about nose high and if its raining hard a little juke of the head is good. When the new ride gets here I'll be ripping into it to see if I can fiqure something out, but would appreciate any ideas from someone who has done this already. I've seen the shorter shields and they are too short for what I want. Some one did tell me you can send the stock one out to be cut from the top to your perfect height, but as always I'm looking for an easier way.
Thanks,

Mister Breeze

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have had 2 different windshields made by a local glass shop here. Give me a buzz & i'll send address. They constructed the windshield to my dimensions for around $30. it has mad a tremendous difference. The stock on my FLHT was just at eye level. Reduced the height 1 1/2 inches. Then when summer hit & i spend more time on the highway pegs i had a new one made 1 1/2 shorter then that. At $30.00, why not.

·
Registered
401 Posts
One of my friends and I both have Police RKs. When we changed away from the cop seat the windshield was too high. He took a chance on his and drew out the curve on top of the windshield, cut it off with a Dremel cutting disk and finished with fine sandpaper. He didn't tape his, but if I did it myself, (I didn't have the nerve, he had an extra windshield in case he screwed up), I'd tape it off.

I took mine to a place that does plastic fabrication (found it in the yellow pages after a couple of calls) he cut it off and finished the edge. Used tape to protect it, a disk of wood to draw the curve, a bandsaw to cut it & some kind of hand tool to finish off the edge. Excellent job and looks just like the factory edge. Best of all the cost was $15 :D
Rod

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
On the ElectraGlides if you loosen the three screws in front you can slide the shield out and see the shape of the retaining slots. As long as you only want to lower it a little you can cut the slots (any slot resembling the original will do as it is hidden) and slide the shield lower into the fairing. If you have to go further just whack the bottom off with a saw.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Newbie question. How do you know when the windshield is the right height? Do you look through it or over it? Sounds like a stupid question, but I only have experience with sport bikes. Thanks. J.T.
P.S. Sorry for jumping on your thread Mister Breeze

·
Registered
684 Posts
fearnot69 said:
Newbie question. How do you know when the windshield is the right height? Do you look through it or over it?
It's personal preference. Some like to look through it, other like looking over it. As for me, I prefer to look over it for clarity. Looking through the standard 12" windshield seems to blurr everything.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
What Straydog said, personal preference, however my personal opinion is that looking thru a windshield is a unacceptable safety risk on a touring bike.
On a bike only ridden in good weather and in daytime it might be a different story, but I still don't like it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Howdy

I also did not like the standard 12" windshield that came on my ultra.

I used a piece of copper wire and bent it to fit the curve then lowered it to where I liked it and marked it with a marking pen.

I placed a soft cotton towel on the table of my bandsaw a freehand cut the line...A nice sharp bastard file dressed the edge easily.

looks like factory

buck

·
Registered
686 Posts
I cut about 3" off the stock one and drilled holes , the holes have to be big enough to fit over the bosses on the fairing. I also have a 16" high one I look through , I can look over it if I strech. I like it , it keeps most of the cold air off my face, but it has fogged up on me a couple of times in the morning which is a pain, so I agree with Hippo as far as safety the tall one is more for fair weather.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey thanks for the suggestions guys! I never really thought of the glass shops before. I do have a few around here that do windshields and stuff for cages. I know some of those prices you guys are getting are damn sweet. I know when I replaced mine on the 79 quite a few years ago it was like over a hundred anyway and I had to cut it down. I used the bandsaw and tape trick myself back then. Seeing how it was the bottom it made life easier too.

Since the new scoot isn't here yet, I just got time to plan ahead that's all. I had thought from what I could see in the parts book that maybe a Dremal could elongate the holes to drop it a inch or so. Just wasn't sure if that was a metal strap affixed on there or not. It helps to see what others have done to save time and mistakes,but hey if I could get a tint for $40 or so I may consider that too. Sure beats the hell out HD's $175 or whatever.

Don't worry about jumping fearnot. I didn't think you were. For me anyway, I prefer to look over too.
I gotta wear those F***ing RX goggles anyway and looking through additional plastic is not a good thing. I wear a visor on my lid and keep the windshield at nose high. In a storm this works good for me and the specs on my head.

Thanks to all again,

Mister Breeze

·
Registered
584 Posts
Thanks gentlemen for the info. Really never thought about it until I saw this thread. I haven't sat on the RK yet and don't have experience with bikes with windshields. I was thinking like a cager. But it is to deflect wind, not provide a window to look out of. Like I said... a stupid question, but wanted to ask. Thanks. J.T.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was told by J&P Cycles customer service to put yard stick out level with the ground and measure straight down to the top of the head light. This should give you a pretty good idea of faring height. It worked great for the Memphis shades I put on my FX. I'll be cutting the FL windshield down to size next week!

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
HIPPO said:
What Straydog said, personal preference, however my personal opinion is that looking thru a windshield is a unacceptable safety risk on a touring bike.
On a bike only ridden in good weather and in daytime it might be a different story, but I still don't like it.
:confused: I am really baffled here, Hippo could you go into a little more detail. I took a cold ride last night, (no rain) to get an idea about over and through. I'm 5'7" and with the stock screen, I am lookin through. Didn't seem to notice any distortion or ill effects. Just coming off the Superglide and Low Rider, this discussion has really perked my interest. I know you've said your "personal preference" is to look over, please go into the "unacceptable safety risk" a little more. Your opinion carries a lot of weight with the board members :rolleyes: , I'd like to hear more from you on this subject. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I suppose it is based on the fact that I frequently ride longer distances and conditions are unpredictable.
When I ride my bikes I look a good two or three inches over the shield, and I'm positive that once the shield has enough bugs on it and /or it rains a bit and either headlights or the raising / setting sun reflect on it you simply will miss seeing something sooner or later. Doesn't have to be a yellow bus, can be something as small as a edge trap or a oil or diesel puddle in a turn.

The only reason I say personal preference rather then an accident waiting to happen is that obviously you can approach it in another way, ie stop every time the conditions are a bit unfavorable, clean the shield every few miles, slow down to the point you get run over, etc, etc.
I'm just not willing to do that.

In addition from a comfort point of view it is much less tiring to ride when you don't have to strain your vision, and lower shields while giving you more airblast then taller ones generally make the airblast relatively smooth while the taller shields make whatever blast they leave thru more turbulent. Since I don't wear helmets this is also a factor.

Sometimes you pay the price, I recall one ocasion about a year and a half ago in CO when riding in hail it busted my forehead and nose open, but you are never going to win them all anyway.

·
Registered
354 Posts
HIPPO said:
I recall one ocasion about a year and a half ago in CO when riding in hail it busted my forehead and nose open, but you are never going to win them all anyway.
That is some serious ridin' HIPPO:D OUCH!:(

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Thanks Hippo, of course that makes sense. 'preciate the explanation.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Not really, just a lack of choices, you stop and you get a pickup truck up your a$$. Way it goes.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I did like Hippo suggested, on my '03 ultra this morning. I removed the shield and taped a piece of white wrapping paper to the bottom half and traced the outline of the holes and slots. I measured up from the bottom for the amount I needed to cut off and used the tracing to mark the new slot locations with a felt tip marker. I cut it off with a dremel with a cut off wheel and used a grinding bit in the dremel to make the slots and holes then used a file and sand paper to dress up the edges. The whole process took less than an hour. I took off about 3 in. and now I'm looking about 2in over the shield and I don't have to constantly stretch my neck trying to look over it and the wind blast is still well over my head.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts