V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might have been discussed many times before, but the search function deems "HID" an invalid search because it is too short.

Has anyone converted their headlight to HID (high intensity discharge)...or more specifically, on a Road King? If so, which kit did you use (if you did use a kit)?

Likes? Dislikes? Benefit? Cost?

TIA.

Tipsy

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I have an Ultra, and 1st converted with an aftermarket HID kit. Fairly expensive and the benefit was marginal due to the fluted headlight design. The pattern was bow-tie shaped, and fairly dim in the middle

I recently converted the Harley kit including the lens. I like it much beter than the aftermarket kit, much brighter and better focused. Brighter than the halogens from harley, but given the very high price, I think the halogen may be a better buy. If I were doing it again, I would lean towards the new halogen

·
Refuse 2 Take It any more
68 Posts
I have upgraded my RK to the HID from H-D. I think its well worth the additional price to upgrade to HID. I was running a Sylvinia SilverStar H-4 lamp and thats way brighter then stock H-D bulb, but the HID is even brighter yet. As is with anything in life, Money talks. You know the rest of the story.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ram_RK said:
I have upgraded my RK to the HID from H-D. I think its well worth the additional price to upgrade to HID. I was running a Sylvinia SilverStar H-4 lamp and thats way brighter then stock H-D bulb, but the HID is even brighter yet. As is with anything in life, Money talks. You know the rest of the story.
I just recently picked up the Harley catalog and saw the HID kits.. Holy ****...$525. What I find interesting is that they don't show the Kelvin rating (color temp). I just replaced my low and high beam with a 6,000 k kit for a little over $200..I got in on a group buy and had mine shipped from overseas. Another thing I find interesting is that the kit is DOT approved. Ever wonder why you don't see HID kits in stores? They are illegal for road use in the states....with the exception of vehicles that have HID installed form the factory as OEM equipment. They don't even state in the Harley catalog that the kit is intended for off road use like they warn you about SE exhausts. Before you drop the big green for Harleys overpriced kit, have a look at this website who specializes in HID. Try and get an answer from your Harley dealer on what the Kelvin rating is. I have a feeling that Harleys kit isn't all that they'd like you to believe it is. Here is a website that specializes in HID kits.

http://www.xenonking.com/5000m.htm

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm using the Harley HID kit, and I like it a lot.
Excellent light output, far better than the stock H4 and the (similar-looking) dual bulb halogen upgrade.

Yes, the kit is expensive, but don't be fooled by the cheap price tags of some of the HID kits on the market. They won't perform as well or last as long as the Harley HID kit. It is made by Sylvania/Osram, and is top-shelf equipment. You'll get what you pay for.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Triple Z said:
I'm using the Harley HID kit, and I like it a lot.
Excellent light output, far better than the stock H4 and the (similar-looking) dual bulb halogen upgrade.

Yes, the kit is expensive, but don't be fooled by the cheap price tags of some of the HID kits on the market. They won't perform as well or last as long as the Harley HID kit. It is made by Sylvania/Osram, and is top-shelf equipment. You'll get what you pay for.
How do you know the Harley kit will outperform the other kits on the market?
They don't tell you what the light output of the kit is. The Philips and McCullough kits state clearly the output of the different kits they make. Why doesn't Harley? After reading the description in the Harley catalog, I failed to notice that the Harley kit uses a Halogen bulb for the high beam...not HID. Now I really feel that is way too much money for the Harley kit, especially since it only has one HID bulb in it. I still find it odd that Harley states the kits are DOT approved when all HID lighting is illegal unless installed at the factory. This leads me to believe the light output isn't as much as some of the other kits available. I'm sure some of the cost of the Harley kit is due to the necessary reflectors that focus the beam. That wasn't necessary on my bike as it already had it. You couldn't just buy one of these other kits as a plug and play system. I'm not saying the Harley kit is bad, just that it's overpriced for what you're getting. I also don't see them offering replacement HID bulbs. Those alone from what I've seen are around $100. It would be interesting to see if the dealers carry them and how much they want for them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
HID not from MOCO!

I use the HID kit from Xciting Lighting. I have used HID for 4 years and it is the best single thing you can do for safety on the street and to increase your night vision. I have had others tell me that they can see my headlight over a mile away. This unit has a low and hi in HID through use of a shade that covers part of the bulb when in lo beam. I don't know what kind of unit that the MOCO is selling but if you find any info or anyone who knows anything about it you are doing better than most of us. A real HID will beat the pants off a halogen setup. I mechaniced for a big city fire dept. for 30 years before retiring to open a bike shop. HID was just beginning to be used for scene lights. We used a 35 watt HID light that gave more light than the 750 watt halogen that it replaced and the HID plugged into a 12 volt cigarette lighter instead of needing a gas generator to make it work. Another bonus of HID is that it is cool to the touch instead of hot. It won't burn off the connector on the back of the bulb. If you are finding HID cheap-it is prolly like cheap LED lights-not worth the trouble. HID will give you great illumination and you will see things you never knew were there at night. Friday www.dyno-power.com

·
Registered
422 Posts
I will see them in Cinci at the V-Twin Show this weekend if they are still in business. If you don't hear from me, send a private email and I will reply. Friday www.dyno-power.com

·
Registered
166 Posts
The MOCO Dual Halogen is made by JW Speaker. You can find info about it on their web page www.jwspeaker.com

You will also find the Dual bulb HID headlight there, though for both the MOCO lights they use a different lens. I don't know if they consider the projector lens used for the MOCO light proprietary to the MOCO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts