V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with the New Michelin tires? Need a new front tire, and may just do both. Been thinking of going with Avon's ... but am intrigued by Michelin now offering Bike tires.

·
ASA Lives
600 Posts
I have used the Commander on my Ultra Glide when I lived in Tennessee. They grip better and last longer than any time I used the Dunlap. I am having trouble finding the Commander here in California. I will get the Commander when I find them out here. I only hope that Harley will start to sell the Commander.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I have put about 200 miles on the new Michelin's and I don't really like them. They seem a bit on the soft side to me.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I found the original Dunlops on my Dyna didn't give lot of grip in wet replaced with Avon Venoms they were better,running Dunlops on my Heritage s/tail they seem o.k.(try to avoid rain but difficult in UK )but will be putting white wall Avons on shortly,do Michelin do white walls?

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Harley has approved the michlin commanders for their bikes and can be bought through the moco dealerships.
Yea ... I know ... and for now they are the same price ans the Dunlops, and a lot less than what i was quoted for the Avon's. That makes no sense. I'm wondering if the price is low for now, and will be bumped up in the future.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've talked to a couple of tire guys that say the Michelin sidewalls are pretty weak. They say you can practically turn the tire inside out. Don't know this for sure but that's what they told me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've talked to a couple of tire guys that say the Michelin sidewalls are pretty weak. They say you can practically turn the tire inside out. Don't know this for sure but that's what they told me.
I dont know where they got their tires from, but I recently decided to switch to Michelin Commanders, and they are pretty stiff. Before the winter snows came, I swapped out the rear first. I took off my rear wheel, and brought it in to have the tire changed, and the new Michelin was definately not that pliable to be able to turn it inside out. In fact, I have the front tire here at home right now, waiting for a good day to pull th front wheel and swap it out, and can tell you right now it aint true.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Guys, I just got 18k+ out of my stock Dun's. I saw that the MoCo put the Mich/Comm's in the '08 book, so I figured: hey, they aren't going to promote something in their own book that isn't any good. (but hey, I'm not that naive either) I must have done 20 hours research on the net, talked to a couple if HD shops and a couple of indy shops (anonimously)..... I went ahead and ordered two. I am going to put them on during the 20k service. There are a few horror stories out there for every tire, but the overwhelming majority of good feedback is clear: the Michelins are a definite improvement over the stock Dunlops. I did find out that the Brazilian made Metezlers are crap...(be warned).
The German made Metz's are worth every penny and scarce (for a reason).
To the guy in Cali that can't find Michelin's: motorcycleproshop.com, motoxoutlet.com, ridenow.com, tireexpress.com.... I don't know what the link is, but the name of the place is Ron Ayers Cycle(?)-tires through web only...
Hope this helps guys.... take care.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I did find out that the Brazilian made Metezlers are crap...(be warned).
Please expand on this piece of info please. Iassume you had issues. I have a set that I am getting ready to try out. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd be lying if I told you I've used them and had problems. And there are those that will use the Metz and never experience a single problem, however,.. the "internet rumor" claim not withstanding, there are many many forum(s) feedback...yes, on the internet, the personal contact I myself had with independent (not corporate) tire retailers citing poor sidewall construction(separation, cracking), excessive/unusual wear patterns, premature failure (with some accidents), and warranty issues with distributors and the company (Metzler) that have been what they describe as a nightmare. Common sense tells us that there are those riders out there that do not/will not maintain their tires properly, but all the upkeep in the world will not overcome a shoddy product. For me at least, its clear that Metz went south to save costs and just like everything else in the world, the quality took a nosedive.
I simply decided to not take the chance on the Metz's.......
Its your bike.... and your a$$ on that seat, not mine; you are welcome to do as you please. I consider the Mich/Comms a good value with a better than average performance record. Thats my two cents... hope that helps you with your decision.

·
OWOF
1,077 Posts
I have used Metzlers in the past and have a set on my Springer right now. I love them. They seem to be stickier and smoother than Dunlops - they handle real well. The mileage is a little less than the stock Dunlops, but that is the tradeoff for the increase in traction.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You'll get no argument from me on that... The general consensus on the Metz's is that the traction, handling, and load carrying are superior to most every other tire,..... ah, but that was when they were made in Germany...Reg26 is on his second set of Brazilians and he loves 'em..... can't argue with (his) success, I'm just not willing to run the speeds, and have to deal with Dallas traffic while worrying about tires; thats a creepy feeling, man...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've seen some of the Metz Marathon 880 with apparent cold lap and bubbles in the rubber but did not notice country of manufacture.
Considering the price I am surprised that they pass inspection.
I have not noticed the same type of visual defects in any other brand of tire and while they may not have any appreciable structural effect the impression is disconncerting.
I have been researching tires for my stepson's Heritage and he may try the new Michelin next.
There seems to be a great disparity in usable mileage derived from tires.
The reason for my research is the greatly reduced mileage he has obtained from his latest rear Dunlop.
He has an 02 Heritage that he bought used 4 years ago with 12k miles on it. He now has twice that mileage.
He immediately replaced the used tires after his purchase and got about 9k miles from the rear. We replaced the rear about 3k miles ago and the current one is nearly to he wear bars already.
There has been no difference in the type of riding or the areas in which we ride. Tire pressure has been maintained around 38-40 psi.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I have used metz 880 on my ultra and thought they were a great improvement over the 402 dunslip. That said they German made. When I replaced the rear tire later It was a Brazilian made. It wore different than the original and I had to replace it after 3k went back to another 880 only to find two weeks later the dealer quit selling the metz because of increased warranty issues since going to the Brazilian tire. The complaint was low mileage and tread separation. They said that they could not get metzler to stand behind their warranty. I now have a set of commanders waiting to go on right now.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Was on German made Metzelers for years, tried 2 sets of Brazilian made tire on the FXST and an Ultra. Wear pattern is strange, high pitch noise on certain surfaces and less mileage. On top of that a 150 mm is only 142 and Metz says it's done to avoid fitness problems on some models. Yeah, right.

New bike has Michelins and the FXST will have soon

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just put on a set of the new Michelin's (Commander) on 3/7... They feel better than the Dun's.. They grip and corner very well, do not follow every pavement snake, and at highway speeds feel like alot more tire is there without feeling like the wheel is wearing a big truck tire... way more secure than the Dun's. I got 19k+ out of the stock Dun's, and really no complaint about that,...I just thought I'd make a change since the HD book has, and apparently endorses 'em now:.....glad I did. I got a better tire at only a modest price increase... very happy.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I have used Metzlers in the past and have a set on my Springer right now. I love them. They seem to be stickier and smoother than Dunlops - they handle real well. The mileage is a little less than the stock Dunlops, but that is the tradeoff for the increase in traction.
Even a Brazilian Metz would feel better than the stock Dunflops. If you ran a German metz and then a Brazilian you'd be dissapointed. However I hear good thngs about the E3's, too bad they don't make a 150 rear.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts