V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a set of 2-1's but to be honest, I think the V&H are way too conservative-looking (I know, I know... it's a matter of taste). I like the original Superglide 2-1's from the 70's. They look a lot like Hard Krome or Caliber pipes. Can anybody recommend a brand other than V&H, Python, Cobra or Supertrapp/White Bros? I know those are all established winners. I want performance with a nastier look. What about the performance of Caliber, Hard Krome, LSR, Samson Powerflow, Hooker Turnout, Cycle Shack 2-2 Turnout, Bassani Road Rage... or any others?

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Don't forget the D&D Fatcat. Flawless fit and finish, great throaty sound, and awesome performance.

Teu:cheers:

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Thunderheaders!!!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Yup, Thunderheaders.

Great old school look and unforgettable sound. Just put the TH on my FLHT and they far exceeded my expectations.

-bluelab

·
Registered
2 Posts
I THINK THE RINEHART'S ARE THE WAY TO GO THE LOOK NICE AND YOU KNOW THEY WILL SOUND KILLER.THERE ALSO DYNO PROVEN TO GIVE MORE HORSEPOWER,AND TORQE.
ALSO A FRIEND HAS D-D 2 INTO 1 AND THAT LOOKS NICE, BUT I BET ITS NOT AS LOUD AS THE RINEHART'R
REMEMBER LOUD PIPES SAVE LIFES:gun:

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Teufelhunden said:
Don't forget the D&D Fatcat. Flawless fit and finish, great throaty sound, and awesome performance.

Teu:cheers:
Those are the ones that a mechanic/tech at my dealer liked for both sound and performance...Tom

·
Do'in the chicken dance
3,629 Posts
guitback said:
I'm buying a set of 2-1's but to be honest, I think the V&H are way too conservative-looking (I know, I know... it's a matter of taste). I like the original Superglide 2-1's from the 70's. They look a lot like Hard Krome or Caliber pipes. Can anybody recommend a brand other than V&H, Python, Cobra or Supertrapp/White Bros? I know those are all established winners. I want performance with a nastier look. What about the performance of Caliber, Hard Krome, LSR, Samson Powerflow, Hooker Turnout, Cycle Shack 2-2 Turnout, Bassani Road Rage... or any others?
D+D fatcats are excellent sounding performing and looking. That said WHATEVER YOU DO DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT RB i had an unbeliveably bad experience with them took 6 months to get a pipe that didnt fit they basically refused to mend the problem i had it marked where it did not clear the down tube sent it back and they sat on it for some more months when i got so pissed i couldnt take it anymore i ended up denting it to get it on the bike temporarally so i could ride it and on top of that it leaks at all the joints i read some postive stuff on them but ill bet the people writing it work there or own it . Check out my pics in the pipe pics thread :badmood:

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
MaineUltraClassic said:
Here is my shiny stuff on them..........

http://www.angelfire.com/me5/flhtcui/page3.html

Steve
Is that your new set?

I just got the 'Headers on today. I need to tweak the heatshields a little still, there's a slight gap on the big one, (the collector one? I think it's just a matter of rearranging it.) The biggest problem was getting the clutch cover off (not really a problem, just didn't want to leak any oil). Did drip a little (never really realized it was hot pink in color, almost like pepto-bismol!), so I'll have to head over to the dealer tomorrow to get some more.......

Sounds good though! :thumbsup:

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
JIM MARTEL said:
I THINK THE RINEHART'S ARE THE WAY TO GO THE LOOK NICE AND YOU KNOW THEY WILL SOUND KILLER.THERE ALSO DYNO PROVEN TO GIVE MORE HORSEPOWER,AND TORQE.
ALSO A FRIEND HAS D-D 2 INTO 1 AND THAT LOOKS NICE, BUT I BET ITS NOT AS LOUD AS THE RINEHART'R
REMEMBER LOUD PIPES SAVE LIFES:gun:
Nope not the loudest, not even close. I just put one on my bike, it sounds great really deep but not loud at all. My wife used to hear me 2 blocks away with my V&H BSS but with the Rinehart 2 into 1 she doesn't hear me till I'm in the driveway. That said I definitely have lots more low end grunt and it still pulls just as hard to redline. I'll get it dyno'ed by the same guy who did the V&H pipes this fri. so we'll be able to do a direct comparison of the two.

Joe

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
Cryptoboy said:
Is that your new set?
No, that is my picture from last fall. But since the new set will look the same as the old set.........why update the picture........LOL

Yeah, removing the tranny cover is a pain, but if you have the bike on the kickstand it doesn't lose much fluid at all.

Aligning the heatshields takes a little work, but not too bad at all.

Steve

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are they making the Rhinehart 2:1 for the the Road KIng/ Dressers now? I didn't think those were out yet. Would u say they were quiet enought to be a good touring pipe? V&H too loud for me.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts